Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
Great article on ebook formatting and web standards (A List Apart)

See here
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Thanks for linking this. I rather agree with much of the article. Also introduced me to the ePub Zen Garden site, which I hadn't known about before.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
See here
Thanks. It's nice to know that people are thinking seriously about ways to improve our future reading experience!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Those guys over at a list apart are seriously smart about their fonts/usability/standards compliance.

They talk about MS word like it's a disease in the publishing industry!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Thanks for the link. Very interesting and very right.
And it has links to useful resources.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
He forgot to mention the obsession with pages and all the hoops software like ADE has to jump through to try and force a scrollable format into paginated form.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:14 AM   #7
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
The comments to this article are quite insightful as well.

One major flaw in HTML for ebooks is the lack of book-like tags. Examine the styles on a major publishing house release of an ebook and you see what I mean. No one standard for body text, initial paragraph for chapter, pull quote, and most importantly footnotes / sidebars exist.

For conversion, I almost prefer PML (now that I have written my own pml to xml converter... almost as good as Calibre's... but it is in that sad old language, Perl). The stricter (sic) standard and fewer tags make producing ebooks that look and work similar to each other easier.

Now I would never advocate PML as a solution for anything, and am not ready to abandon HTML. I would love to see published standards for style names, tags, etc. for use with eBooks. Most importantly, I would love to see footnotes in ePub (either as an href, or preferably as a span tag).

By the way, speaking of footnotes, has anyone read the late David Foster Wallace's cruel joke on readers everywhere, Infinite Jest, as an eBook? I'm tempted just to see if my nook could handle the footnotes.

--Edward
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote