Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-31-2018, 03:00 PM   #1
fdwojo
fdwojo began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Note20 Ultra, Kindle Fire HD10
Unwanted cursor movement when editing

Okay, so I did a search of this forum for anything about this topic and didn't find anything. I also looked to see the list of bug fixes about Sigil v9.10, and didn't see anything referencing this, so...

During this latest build of Sigil (9.10), I've noticed something odd. Specifically, if I want to correct a spelling error (and I have the ABC Spelling window open).

The process goes something like this:

I click on the misspelled word in the Spelling list of misspelled words.
Over in the editing window of Sigil, I can either high-light the unneeded letters, or I can click in the word in order to then add text or delete text.

The problem is that after I type the very first letter (or the backspace or delete key), the cursor jumps to the (usually) beginning of that word. Which means that if I needed to top more than one letter, the second and subsequent letters appear at the beginning of the word I was going to edit/fix.

Also, this problem does NOT happen when I don't have the Spell-check window open.

My system: Win 10 Pro 64-bit. Fully up-to-date for the Windows OS. I also use some tools to make sure than all of my other software is up-to-date as well. Sigil v9.10 64-bit

Now, in case this problem of mine is new and no one else is experiencing it, I have removed all plugins (but FlightCrew) and then re-installed them. Didn't make a difference, cursor still jumps after first character typed when spellcheck side window is open

Is there any kind of known issue with Sigil v9.10 that might account for this? I have found that I can *sometimes* avoid the problem if I use my cursor keys to move the cursor around and then use the cursor keys to move to the place I want to edit. About 1 time in 5, the cursor jump does NOT happen, the other 4 out of 5 times, it does.

Thanks in advance for any comments and/or help that any of you might be able to spare for me.

Frank

P.S. If it matters, I've included a screenshot of my Plugins page in Settings
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil_Plugins.png
Views:	114
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	168715  

Last edited by fdwojo; 12-31-2018 at 03:15 PM.
fdwojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I thought the cursor jumping was already fixed in master but I will need to check that.

As for plugins, they are isolated from Sigil and from each other unless being actively used. So no need to worry about which plugins are installed when reporting a bug unless the bug happens only in or after a plugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdwojo View Post

Okay, so I did a search of this forum for anything about this topic and didn't find anything. I also looked to see the list of bug fixes about Sigil v9.10, and didn't see anything referencing this, so...

During this latest build of Sigil (9.10), I've noticed something odd. Specifically, if I want to correct a spelling error (and I have the ABC Spelling window open).

The process goes something like this:

I click on the misspelled word in the Spelling list of misspelled words.
Over in the editing window of Sigil, I can either high-light the unneeded letters, or I can click in the word in order to then add text or delete text.

The problem is that after I type the very first letter (or the backspace or delete key), the cursor jumps to the (usually) beginning of that word. Which means that if I needed to top more than one letter, the second and subsequent letters appear at the beginning of the word I was going to edit/fix.

Also, this problem does NOT happen when I don't have the Spell-check window open.

My system: Win 10 Pro 64-bit. Fully up-to-date for the Windows OS. I also use some tools to make sure than all of my other software is up-to-date as well. Sigil v9.10 64-bit

Now, in case this problem of mine is new and no one else is experiencing it, I have removed all plugins (but FlightCrew) and then re-installed them. Didn't make a difference, cursor still jumps after first character typed when spellcheck side window is open

Is there any kind of known issue with Sigil v9.10 that might account for this? I have found that I can *sometimes* avoid the problem if I use my cursor keys to move the cursor around and then use the cursor keys to move to the place I want to edit. About 1 time in 5, the cursor jump does NOT happen, the other 4 out of 5 times, it does.

Thanks in advance for any comments and/or help that any of you might be able to spare for me.

Frank

P.S. If it matters, I've included a screenshot of my Plugins page in Settings
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, with a build fresh from master, I can not recreate this issue with or without the spellcheck dialog open. This is on Mac OS X.

So this is either already fixed in master, or it is specific to Windows.

So perhaps someone on Windows can confirm this issue with Sigil 0.9.10 and if so we can ask DiapDealer to check his latest Windows build to see if it still exhibits the issue.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I thought the cursor jumping was already fixed in master but I will need to check that.

As for plugins, they are isolated from Sigil and from each other unless being actively used. So no need to worry about which plugins are installed when reporting a bug unless the bug happens only in or after a plugin.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (Key3, PW2, PW3), Nook (ST, GLP), Kobo Touch, Tolino Vision 2
I confirm, that this issue is fixed in master.

Issue was mentioned here.
BeckyEbook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:32 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
I confirm, that this issue is fixed in master.

Issue was mentioned here.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:20 AM   #6
fdwojo

Well, I'd like to thank you all for your comments and research (and also for spotting that other (nearly the) same problem that I hadn't found in my searching. Oops!)

It's good to know that plugins can't cause that problem, but... if the problem was "fixed in the master" as you say, how can I get a copy of the master? (of course, as a side note, I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say "the master"). Don't answer that.

From reading the other post about the problem, I concluded that until v9.11 comes out, I'll just need to bide my time with it until then. Which then begs the question...

Do we have any kind of timeframe for when v9.11 will be available to us normal users?

Frank
Old 01-01-2019, 03:52 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You could also downgrade to an earlier version if the issue is a deal-breaker for you.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-01-2019 at 09:43 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:18 AM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Depending on new bugs being reported, and new releases of Qt, and depending on my and DiapDealer's schedules, etc, I was kind of hoping for a new release in February sometime but no promises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdwojo View Post
Well, I'd like to thank you all for your comments and research (and also for spotting that other (nearly the) same problem that I hadn't found in my searching. Oops!)

It's good to know that plugins can't cause that problem, but... if the problem was "fixed in the master" as you say, how can I get a copy of the master? (of course, as a side note, I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say "the master"). Don't answer that.

From reading the other post about the problem, I concluded that until v9.11 comes out, I'll just need to bide my time with it until then. Which then begs the question...

Do we have any kind of timeframe for when v9.11 will be available to us normal users?

Frank
Old 01-02-2019, 01:24 AM   #9
fdwojo

As far as the idea of downgrading goes, well... I'd rather not if I don't have to. As it stands now, I can "live" with the cursor jumps as it stands, it's just annoying and so I was wondering if it was just me or if it was a known issue. (obviously it's the latter). So, as things currently stand, I'll probably be waiting for February (or March or April or ?) to see how things go.

Once again, I'd really like to thank all of you for your comments and the time you took to help educate me on things. Since I'm not a programmer, and I'm not a high- (or even mid-) level ebook publisher, I guess that it's not a critical issue for me.

Have a great day everybody!

Frank
Old 01-02-2019, 06:11 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Wait if you like. Just so you understand that downgrading to 0.9.9 really isn't at all difficult or problematic.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #11
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Wait if you like. Just so you understand that downgrading to 0.9.9 really isn't at all difficult or problematic.
Yep, and it's very unlikely you're going to be running into any of the bugs that have been fixed between v0.9.9->v0.9.10. Most are obscure edge cases or minor enhancements.

Sigil has been pretty damn stable for a very long time.

This cursor jumping bug is one of the rare few that actually hit "normal users" (on Windows only).
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #12
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
...that actually hit "normal users" (on Windows only).
That seems a little redundant ... 'normal users' and 'windows'....
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:13 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
This cursor jumping bug is one of the rare few that actually hit "normal users" (on Windows only).
According to Doitsu it's a problem his Linux too, so by your reckoning perhaps only MacOS users are "normal", I'm sure Kevin and Tim Cook would agree

PS: thanks to your early report of the problem I'm still on 9.9.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-02-2019 at 08:19 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:30 PM   #14
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
That seems a little redundant ... 'normal users' and 'windows'....
I meant 2 distinct sets of users!

Sigil has been so stable over these past few years, that the bugs being corrected from version to version are mostly minor edge cases that the "normal person" would never even run across.

Normal Users

Like I reported a bug dealing with a <p"> tag. It was crashing Sigil's Reports. (Bug fixed in next release of Sigil.)

I was cleaning some HTML and made a botched S&R:

Code:
<p class="example"></p>
Code:
<p"></p>
Pretty Printing turned into:

Code:
<p"></p">
which happens to be valid HTML (if you can believe it...), but invalid XHTML.

Calibre (and next version of Sigil) converts it to:

Code:
<p_></p_>
No normal person would ever run across HTML like that. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
PS: thanks to your early report of the problem I'm still on 9.9.

Yeah, I've been tempted to roll back as well. Ever since I reported it, I was hoping for a quick bugfix release, and if it's still going to be a few months... I'll probably downgrade, and jump to 0.9.11 on release.

Luckily I haven't been using Sigil's Spellcheck list lately, so this jumping bug hasn't been bothering me as much.

I've been working on books that have lots of URLs, so I've been using Calibre's fantastic Check external links. And then just spellchecking while I'm there.

(Which makes me think of another thing... odd chunks of URLs being counted as "words".)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 01-02-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:30 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Luckily I haven't been using Sigil's Spellcheck list lately, so this jumping bug hasn't been bothering me as much.

I've been working on books that have lots of URLs, so I've been using Calibre's fantastic Check external links. And then just spellchecking while I'm there.

(Which makes me think of another thing... odd chunks of URLs being counted as "words".)
It's the reverse for me, I often nuke metadata down to barebones with Sigil's metadata editor. Sometimes I do a quick spellcheck while I'm here.

However for multi-language books I use calibre's spellchecker; however it insists on checking metadata spelling Ψ I am liable to make too many mistakes editing the opf, so I use Sigil to nuke most of the metadata before using calibre's spell checker.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cursor jump