Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-14-2017, 07:13 PM   #1156
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
deleted...

Last edited by deback; 12-14-2017 at 11:36 PM.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #1157
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

deleted...

Old 12-14-2017, 07:56 PM   #1158
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Just to add a bit more anecdotal info... I also have been manually removing page-map.xml files from epubs for several years. It all started in my Sony PRS-xxx days when, as far as I can remember, the Sony wouldn't turn pages properly when one of these little ******s was present.

I don't see them very often but I've continued to remove them ever since. I don't think I've ever tried one on a Kobo to see if the Kobo Adobe software dealt with them any better than the Sony Adobe software did.

I guess some might see this removal as an act of 'epub vandalism' but, personally, I've never seen much use for "real"page numbers in fiction books. As long as ADE's 'fake' page numbers give me a feel for whether the book is short/medium/long and they're also consistent between ADE on Sony/Kobo and Android that's always been good enough for me.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:19 PM   #1159
deback
Book E d i t o r

deleted..

Old 12-14-2017, 08:52 PM   #1160
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I did put this on my Kobo. The result is interesting and sort of what deback is seeing.

The basic thing is that at the bottom of the screen, it is showing page numbering per chapter instead of the full book. There are two problems with the numbering. Firstly, the first page is always shown as 2. But, the count for the chapter is correct. And like what deback is seeing, it always is "of 2".

While working out what was happening, I turned on the option to show page numbers in the margin. This was interesting as it showed the page numbers from the page-map. So this show "ii", "iii" and then changed back to 1 when it reached chapter 1. There is a problem with these but part of that is the book. The Roman numerals are not in order, but they aren't in order in the page-map, the page-list or the spine. So, I think that is actually correct because the page numbers in the page-map is a string to be displayed rather than a counter.

I'll have a better look at home and drop it into ADE to see whether that matches the behaviour on the Kobo.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:08 PM   #1161
deback
Book E d i t o r

deleted...

Last edited by deback; 12-14-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:52 PM   #1162
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
Thank you, but my second post of the image is easier to read than yours. 400% is too much of an enlargement, so the image is more blurry. My second post was either a 200% or possibly a 300% enlargement. What does it matter, anyway? I've typed out what the page-numbering says at the top of ADE, and I didn't lie about what I typed. Just accept what I've told you all.
What I see is in this post is another 320x29 pixel image, the same as the first one. You can't expect folks to chase links to unknown image hosts (postimg.org), that are possibly riddled with dubious content, when the MR board has perfectly good image hosting facility.

See item 9 para 4 in the MR Posting Guidelines. there's a link at bottom of this and every other page.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #1163
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
This is from the early day's of making epub. Maybe this will help to understand Adobe page mapping a bit better.
Attached Files
File Type: epub EPUB Best Practices - Adobe.epub (443.9 KB, 238 views)
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #1164
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I guess some might see this removal as an act of 'epub vandalism' ...

[OT on]
Well, as I am the one who ask why, maybe a little explanation. I wonder often about people that are complaining and argument/acting without understand why behaviors are as they are. (Seems to be a very common behavior these times in peoples minds). I simply wanted to understood his intension.

I don't see it as a vandalism, it is more a thing I describe above and ends in something like: I don't understand it, let's delete it.

It do not brother me because people can do what they want with their own books or as a german sometimes say: Des Menschen Wille ist sein Himmelreich.
[OT off]
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #1165
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
It do not brother me because people can do what they want with their own books or as a german sometimes say: Des Menschen Wille ist sein Himmelreich.
Oh, yes I've occasionally seen posts from people whose first task with a new epub is to remove all CSS files. It makes me wince but, as you say, everyone is free to make their own choice. Edits by others are "wanton vandalism". Edits by me are "careful, logical surgery"
Old 12-23-2017, 06:26 PM   #1166
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'll have a better look at home and drop it into ADE to see whether that matches the behaviour on the Kobo.
What are your results?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #1167
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
I have been using the Modify Epub plug in to ensure that any changes I make to the cover or metadata of a book is saved in my library. When I use the plugin now, I am getting an epub to epub conversion resulting in an epub and original e-pub file in the folder. I do't think I have changed anything and wonder if anybody has any idea what is causing this.

In the dialogue page I tick the following:

Metadata jacket - Remove legacy metata jacket; Add/replace metadata jacket

Covers - Insert or replace cover

Metadata - Update metadata

Thank you for any help you can offer.
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:16 PM   #1168
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
I have been using the Modify Epub plug in to ensure that any changes I make to the cover or metadata of a book is saved in my library. When I use the plugin now, I am getting an epub to epub conversion resulting in an epub and original e-pub file in the folder. I do't think I have changed anything and wonder if anybody has any idea what is causing this.

In the dialogue page I tick the following:

Metadata jacket - Remove legacy metata jacket; Add/replace metadata jacket

Covers - Insert or replace cover

Metadata - Update metadata

Thank you for any help you can offer.
That is normal and expected. The modified file is the filename.epub, the original file before the modification is the filename.original_epub. As far as I know, this can not be disabled, the only customization for the plugin is to disable/enable the prompt to save the modified file(s) on completion.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #1169
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It must be possible to do this because 'Modify Epub' overwrites the .epub for me. BTW the way yours is currently working is not doing an epub-to-epub conversion it's just saving the before & after versions of Modify Epub.

I think the solution is to go to calibre Preferences - Tweaks (in Advanced section) and look for the one called 'Save original file when converting/polishing from same format to same format'. There are 2 items in this particular Tweak. I think you need to change the second one
Code:
save_original_format_when_polishing = False
Old 04-23-2018, 09:11 PM   #1170
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
When I use the plugin now, I am getting an epub to epub conversion resulting in an epub and original e-pub file in the folder. I do't think I have changed anything and wonder if anybody has any idea what is causing this.
It is not doing "an epub to epub conversion" it is creating the original epub because you modified the epub and this is a precaution whenever the epub is changed due to a full conversion or due to simple modifications. I believe following jackie_w's advice might avoid this, if not simply delete the original afterwards.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modify epub