Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-22-2023, 12:21 AM   #31
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Since they are collecting sales tax when needed, Amazon is, in fact, paying a lot of taxes. They still make a lot of profit, and I am sure they use every trick to avoid taxes on that. But then, the only way to avoid taxes on profit is to reinvest the money which creates a tax payment elsewhere.
It's also worth remembering that tax laws are written and enacted by politicians, not corporations. Companies who don't comply with tax laws, and are caught, suffer consequences.

All businesses pass taxes on to the consumer. When their taxes go up consumer prices go up.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:51 AM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleing View Post
All businesses pass taxes on to the consumer. When their taxes go up consumer prices go up.
And as most Canadians can testify, the PST/GST/HST/FST implementation in the early 1990's showed that when the hidden from the consumer FST was removed, very few corporations managed to pass that savings on to the consumer and instead considered it a nice 5% boost to their bottom line.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2023, 01:46 AM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
It's also worth remembering that tax laws are written and enacted by politicians, not corporations.
Well, they are enacted by politicians. But increasingly they are written by lobbyists.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 02:27 AM   #34
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Well, they are enacted by politicians. But increasingly they are written by lobbyists.
Increasingly?

When haven't they.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:06 AM   #35
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
It's also worth remembering that tax laws are written and enacted by politicians, not corporations. Companies who don't comply with tax laws, and are caught, suffer consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The IRS Decided to Get Tough Against Microsoft. Microsoft Got Tougher. Note that ProPublica leans to the left in their reporting.

tl;dr, perhaps a bit over-simplified: the IRS audited Microsoft. Microsoft (rather, the lobbyists for Microsoft) got the law changed regarding audiitng.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 01-22-2023 at 07:10 AM. Reason: forgot to paste in the second quote
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2023, 07:22 AM   #36
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Since they are collecting sales tax when needed, Amazon is, in fact, paying a lot of taxes.

Just to be clear, Amazon is collecting the sales taxes and (hopefully) passing them along to the correct entities. It is Amazon's customers that are paying the taxes.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 09:27 AM   #37
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Just to be clear, Amazon is collecting the sales taxes and (hopefully) passing them along to the correct entities. It is Amazon's customers that are paying the taxes.
In the same sense income tax is paid for by the employer and not the employee, because the employer gives the money to the employee.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:36 AM   #38
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In the same sense income tax is paid for by the employer and not the employee, because the employer gives the money to the employee.
That is an interesting way to look at it.

I don't recall employers saying they pay the income tax (here in the U.S.). They withold it from ones paycheck. None of my employers has ever given me money to pay my income tax. The next time when I do my taxes, and I end up owing more then was witheld, I'll be sure to make sure my employer gives me the money.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:07 PM   #39
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
That is an interesting way to look at it.

I don't recall employers saying they pay the income tax (here in the U.S.). They withold it from ones paycheck. None of my employers has ever given me money to pay my income tax. The next time when I do my taxes, and I end up owing more then was witheld, I'll be sure to make sure my employer gives me the money.
It is splitting hairs, really. What really generates wealth out of thin air is the labor of the laborers, both physical and mentally. Those that create the wealth, for others, are also the ones being allowed the burden to pay the price, in taxes. If it is a company, income tax only applies to the profit portion, when it comes to individuals, the whole revenue spent, and unspent, gets taxed twice, once when earning, another time when spending. Grossly unfair.

ETA: You are paying the owed taxes from the money the employer gave you, just directly out of the pot they didn't withheld at payroll, the part they gave you to hang yourself by going into bad debt if living paycheck to paycheck, or worse. A much too common thing in the US, other countries probably just as well, maybe not as bad.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-22-2023 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:22 PM   #40
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Amazon is paying less tax on profit than any local business. That's one issue.
Another is that they pay their warehouse staff badly.
They also use their size to get special deals with postal & shipping companies.
They impose rules to build monopolies.

They are not a regular kind of business: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ions_by_Amazon

So it's not splitting hairs. They use their size & power to pay less tax than other business and have unfair trading advantages.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 04:40 PM   #41
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It is splitting hairs, really. What really generates wealth ...
Now that is what I call a pivot.
Old 01-22-2023, 05:15 PM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Another is that they pay their warehouse staff badly..
I hear this mentioned quite a bit, but then I see hourly rates that make me jealous. I've worked bad warehouse gigs for bad pay. The numbers I'm seeing don't jive with being paid "badly" by current trends.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-22-2023 at 05:18 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 06:30 PM   #43
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
In the US the companies withhold Federal Income Tax, Social Security and Medicare. The Employer also matches the Social Security and Medicare that is withheld from each employee. The employer also pays 100% of unemployment taxes.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 02:28 AM   #44
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I hear this mentioned quite a bit, but then I see hourly rates that make me jealous. I've worked bad warehouse gigs for bad pay. The numbers I'm seeing don't jive with being paid "badly" by current trends.
Here too. Florida isn't generally a higher paying state, especially in this county, but Amazon warehouse starting pay beats most other jobs in this area, including some careers that need higher degrees. Unpleasant working conditions in comparison likely, but I can't complain about the salary numbers.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 05:01 AM   #45
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
to be fair, most of the complaints I've heard are on working conditions. Getting UTIs because they're pushed so fast they can't go take a bathroom break, for instance.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote