Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-28-2022, 03:37 AM   #1
nexo
nexo began at the beginning.

Device: none
No bug-free epub file pssible?

Hi there,

as it seems, Calibre is not capable of producing an epub file that will be accepted as bug free by any validator. Here is an example:

I used an .odt file as source, generated by Word 2019.

Maybe this is of some help do the developers.

Best,
Nexo
nexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 03:53 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's a bug in the epub checker not in the epub. calibre will not dumb down the markup it produces to conform to the execrable epubcheck.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2022, 04:03 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also see ==>> Frequently Asked Questions — E-book format conversion

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 04:26 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So fix the what epubcheck says is wrong and there you go.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 05:37 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexo View Post
I used an .odt file as source, generated by Word 2019.
Docx converts far better than odt.
I do an extra Save As in docx for Calibre as we changed completely to LO Writer in 2015 and then from Windows completely to Linux Jan 2017.

You can make WP docs not suitable for ebooks. Our files with extra Save As docx and converted by Calibre to epub2 pass:
Both checks in Calibre Editor
Google's checker
Smashword's checker
Amazon KDP's checker

We do manually edit CSS on larger images to simply for better display, they still pass. We set width or height to a suitable % and then the height or width to auto.

I've never seen that message.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2022, 06:57 AM   #6
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

<ol start="..."> is apparently invalid in XHTML.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 07:40 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also for best compatibility only style your lists without any numeric, alphabetic or bullet. Just a plain list style and then manually enter the list item text at the start of a paragraph. Then "start" is never needed and will never appear in the conversion.

The auto numbering/lettering is for web designers frequently editing the list on a live web page. It's not needed when creating an ebook. Just check all lists before final import of docx to Calibre.
Old 06-19-2023, 02:14 AM   #8
ballistyx
ballistyx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle android app
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That's a bug in the epub checker not in the epub. calibre will not dumb down the markup it produces to conform to the execrable epubcheck.

So can I remove all the "class=calibre" from the html tags, so Apple will actually accept the epub? I don't see that removing the padding and margins will have a huge impact on the end result
ballistyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 04:38 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistyx View Post
So can I remove all the "class=calibre" from the html tags, so Apple will actually accept the epub? I don't see that removing the padding and margins will have a huge impact on the end result
Please post your CSS and some sample code. We cannot suggest removing classes without know what's going on.
Old 06-19-2023, 10:24 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Why not ditch Apple because of their stupidity and simply use a better distribution.

Some free advice: You really need to use someone to vet your books code because you skills are not really up to the job currently. (I assume you want it 'out there' fast. Writers corner, and the EPUB sections here can help you learn the ins and outs.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 07:23 AM   #11
ballistyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Some free advice: You really need to use someone to vet your books code because you skills are not really up to the job currently.
and there we have proof that anything free is worth exactly what you pay for it. My skills are perfectly adequate, thank you. I got this far without anyone else's help, and the only issue is that I am not a Calibre programmer. I guess I'll go to stackexchange if I want answers and not opinion and unsolicited criticism
Old 06-20-2023, 09:37 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
and there we have proof that anything free is worth exactly what you pay for it. My skills are perfectly adequate, thank you. I got this far without anyone else's help, and the only issue is that I am not a Calibre programmer. I guess I'll go to stackexchange if I want answers and not opinion and unsolicited criticism
I am not a Calibre 'Programmer'. I am a informed user that had to learn CSS and REGEX when I started leveraging Calibre.

If you just use the Library management. You probably never need either CSS or REGEX. But if you want to Fix or tweak bad code, knowing REGEX can help.
While it is done, every day using inline styles, those should be avoided as Use of a CSS allows adjustments in 1 place for all uses
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 11:21 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
What is Apple saying is wrong with your ePub? Does your ePub pass an epubcheck validation?
Old 06-20-2023, 03:31 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

If you submit an epub to Smashwords / D2D and pass their checks they automatically put the ebook on Apple, Kobo, Barnes & Noble and a few others.
Free and no hassle. We use the same epub also for Google (Play Store Play Books) and Amazon KDP.

So three free uploads gives you about 98% of the English language market.

Having class="Calibre-whatever" in tags isn't an issue. Source is odt in LO Writer, extra Save As to docx for Calibre conversion to epub. The only editing we do in the Calibre Editor is tweaking CSS of images. But it's just fiction, not complicated textbooks.
Old 06-20-2023, 06:00 PM   #15
ballistyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
If you submit an epub to Smashwords / D2D and pass their checks they automatically put the ebook on Apple, Kobo, Barnes & Noble and a few others.
Free and no hassle. We use the same epub also for Google (Play Store Play Books) and Amazon KDP.

So three free uploads gives you about 98% of the English language market.

Having class="Calibre-whatever" in tags isn't an issue. Source is odt in LO Writer, extra Save As to docx for Calibre conversion to epub. The only editing we do in the Calibre Editor is tweaking CSS of images. But it's just fiction, not complicated textbooks.
Thx. It's on D2D - maybe it's just the previewer that doesn't like it, and it will go out from D2D with no problems, but that initial validation fail did concern me