Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-10-2023, 10:24 AM   #1
Yahtahei
Yahtahei began at the beginning.

Device: Mac OS
Calibre Will not open.

Running MacBook Pro (Apple M1Pro) Mac OS v13.1 (Ventura) and have downloaded the newest Calibre version 6.11.0 because the older version (16.10) would not open. Now neither version will open. I have uninstalled both using uninstaller and reinstalled the newer version, no joy. Even tried an earlier version, but none will open. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Yahtahei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 11:00 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Open terminal.app and run the command

/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-debug -g

and post the output
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 11:18 AM   #3
Yahtahei

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Open terminal.app and run the command

/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-debug -g

and post the output

Thanks for your response.

Output:
Last login: Tue Jan 10 11:15:10 on ttys000
yahtahei@SYahtaheisMBP16 ~ % /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-debug -g
zsh: no such file or directory: /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-debug
yahtahei@SYahtaheisMBP16 ~ %
Old 01-10-2023, 12:55 PM   #4
Yahtahei

The issue was the location of the Calibre App. I had moved the Calibre app from the Application Folder to a Folder within the Application Folder, which I had named "eBook apps" because I use more than one of these apps. After moving the Calibre App out of the eBook apps Folder and back to the original Application folder, the Calibre v6.11 application opened without issue.

I ran the suggested Terminal command again and received this output:

Last login: Tue Jan 10 12:43:27 on ttys001
yahtahei@SYahtaheisMBP16 ~ % /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-debug -g
calibre 6.11 embedded-python: True
macOS-13.1-arm64-arm-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '22.2.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 22.2.0: Fri Nov 11 02:03:51 PST 2022; root:xnu-8792.61.2~4/RELEASE_ARM64_T6000')
Python 3.10.1
OSX: ('13.1', ('', '', ''), 'arm64')
Interface language: None
QPA platform: cocoa
devicePixelRatio: 2.0
logicalDpi: 72.0 x 72.0
physicalDpi: 30.0000004505548 x 30.0000004505548
Using calibre Qt style: True
yahtahei@SYahtaheisMBP16 ~ %

Thanks again for your assistance.
Old 01-11-2023, 11:37 PM   #5
bleepingcomputer
bleepingcomputer began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Paperwhite
Unhappy I am having the same issue in Win10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahtahei View Post
Running MacBook Pro (Apple M1Pro) Mac OS v13.1 (Ventura) and have downloaded the newest Calibre version 6.11.0 because the older version (16.10) would not open. Now neither version will open. I have uninstalled both using uninstaller and reinstalled the newer version, no joy. Even tried an earlier version, but none will open. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Hello, I am having the same issue in Windows 10. I cannot open the software in regular mode, I have made sure the security permissions are there for me and all users on my PC, but it still won't open. I've had to reset windows some time ago, and since I've reinstalled Calibre (just recently), it won't open. I've also debugged, run CFC in the command prompt as admin, and I've tried opening as an admin. All to no avail. I *CAN* open the software (latest version 6.11) in safe mode.

I've also run debug in CMD as noted in Calibre's FAQs section. Here is what I get:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>calibre-debug -g
calibre 6.11 embedded-python: True
Windows-10-10.0.19045-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19045')
Python 3.10.1
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19045', 'SP0', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

I've reinstalled and uninstalled multiple times, and multiple versions. I've deleted the old file meta-data.db.

So now I am at my last resort, posting on the forum. For the record, I've looked at the other notes of people having the same issue as mine, and none of the fixes seem to help (other than resetting/reinstalling windows).

Please help, as I love Calibre and managing my books on there. Thanks
bleepingcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:09 AM   #6
bleepingcomputer

Also, I tried to open Calibre Portable, and it did not work. It is doing the same thing, ie not opening when I double click on it/run as administrator.
Old 01-12-2023, 02:46 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Interface language: None looks suss to me.

Can't say more, I'm on a sat phone, maybe someone else can say more.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 04:33 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If its opening in safe mode then you have some software running on your computer that is interfering. Most likely an antivirus. Try disabling it.
Old 01-12-2023, 04:46 PM   #9
bleepingcomputer

I have tried disabling antivirus (MalwareBytes and McAfee) to no avail.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:10 PM   #10
bleepingcomputer

Also, I uninstalled my antivirus (McAfee) because it was hard to disable all of it at once.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:28 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Then it will be something else, impossible for me to say what since I have no idea what all you have running on your machine.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:45 AM   #12
bleepingcomputer

Have people had issues with Calibre if their video card isn't the best? That's what I suspect, but have no way of testing this. I just know that it'll run in safe mode. I've had video card issues in the past and my CMD chip is rather old so I'm in the process of acquiring new hardware to build a new computer. I will probably just wait until I get my new machine set up and try it then. Not sure what else to do, I've used msconfig to stop all programs from running and it still won't open.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:37 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleepingcomputer View Post
Have people had issues with Calibre if their video card isn't the best? That's what I suspect, but have no way of testing this. I just know that it'll run in safe mode. I've had video card issues in the past and my CMD chip is rather old so I'm in the process of acquiring new hardware to build a new computer. I will probably just wait until I get my new machine set up and try it then. Not sure what else to do, I've used msconfig to stop all programs from running and it still won't open.
Calibre runs on really old graphics HW just fine.
One of my systems did not support HD monitors, I use 2 Diamond USB video modules (a bit slow, but I don't use for Movies )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:38 AM   #14
bleepingcomputer

Interesting. I figured Calibre would run on old graphics, just not on my system, haha. I've had several BSOD instances over the years, and while my system is over 10 years old and still working, I probably shouldn't put on a game to potentially challenge it.

I guess I could just run Calibre in safe mode, even though it's inconvenient. I'll be back on here if it doesn't work on my new computer I'm getting ready to build!
Old 01-17-2023, 04:15 AM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@bleepingcomputer - If calibre works in Safe mode but not in Normal mode then the problem is almost certain to be a misbehaving program that you run at start up.

Simplest way to prove that is to use Task Manager to disable 3rd party programs and Microsoft bloat in Startup, reboot and start calibre. If calibre works then you'll have discover which program is causing the problem by a process of elimination, e.g. a binary chop.

Many of the programs that are intended to run at start up also have auto-update features. If I can, I turn that off, otherwise I look for an alternative that doesn't auto-update.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote