Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-28-2023, 10:01 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fduniho View Post
I tried advanced epub versions of The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg and Poetry by James Joyce, a regular epub version of Poetry by Ambrose Bierce, and an AZW version of The Divine Comedy by Dante. When I tried them in Moon+ Reader, the two advanced epubs didn't display covers, and they had small squares with SVG written in them, indicating that there were SVG images they couldn't display. The text appeared appropriately, though, and it was left justified in both books. The AZW and the regular epub included covers, they displayed graphics, and the text appeared appropriately. What I learned from this is that I shouldn't use advanced epubs with Moon+ Reader, but it is still fine to use Moon+ Reader with Standard Books if I choose a different format than advanced epub.
What you should have learned is that you should not use any ePub with Moon+.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 12:44 PM   #47
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What you should have learned is that you should not use any ePub with Moon+.
Nope, the compatible epubs worked just fine. Is your real issue that you modify the CSS in books before reading them, and Moon+ Reader doesn't seem to honor the changes you make? I don't do this myself. I rely on the ereading app or ereader to customize how the text appears when I read, and Moon+ Reader is more customizable than any other ereading app I've used. If I did change the CSS manually, there are two settings I would want to uncheck in the Miscellaneous section. Under the "EPUB/AZW3/MOBI/FB2" heading, these are "Use embedded fonts in book" and "Disable CSS styles". You can also use the gear to the right of the latter one to select which CSS gets disabled if you do check it.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:08 PM   #48
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
KOReader allows overiding CSS, if you need to. Far more customisable than Moon+ Reader. Easy to install on Android or Kobo. I downloaded it direct from Git on the Tablet's Browser and one click install.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:54 PM   #49
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
KOReader allows overiding CSS, if you need to. Far more customisable than Moon+ Reader. Easy to install on Android or Kobo. I downloaded it direct from Git on the Tablet's Browser and one click install.
They have some different options. KOReader has a Font Weight option with possible values of -1, -1/2, 0, +1/2, +1, +1 1/2, and +3. You can also finetune this in .25 increments. I regularly make use of the similar feature on my Kindle, and I miss having this feature in Moon+ Reader. However, Moon+ Reader will let me pick a specific version of a font, such as Lexend Semibold, for example, and it will let me control the Font Scale from -4 to 20, which has similar utility to controlling the weight.

I cannot find any way to select a font in KOReader, and that may be the main reason I don't use it. Being able to choose the font from a list of custom fonts is the primary feature I want in an ereading app. While Moon+ Reader lets me choose any font size in .1 increments from 12 to 100.9, KOReader gives me only 11 font sizes: 12, 16, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 34, 38, and 44.

KOReader has the Word Spacing options of small, medium, and large and Word Expansion options of none, some, and more. Moon+ Reader has Line Spacing and Font Spacing from -4 to 20.

Both give me margin controls, but Moon+ Reader appears to have more fine-tuned margin controls.

I won't go over everything point-by-point, but in general, Moon+ Reader has more options and more fine-tuned controls than KOReader has. While I would like Moon+ Reader to offer font weight controls like KOReader and the Kindle have, support for custom fonts is much more important to me.

Last edited by fduniho; 01-29-2023 at 04:59 PM. Reason: typo
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:34 AM   #50
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
My wife got a fine new tablet for Christmas (a Galaxy Tab S8+, FWIW).

She'd like to use it as an occasional alternative for her Kobo Libra - an ebook reader she's very happy with, but expanding the print size (poor eyesight) makes the screen seem quite small.

Can anyone suggest good ebook software for a tablet, free or paid for?
I recently switched to _Librera FD_.
As best as I can tell, it doesn't recognise .lit, .rb. .pdb, or .prc ebook formats.
It does recognise some office file formats: .md, .odt, .txt, and .rtf, are the only files I have tried. I don't use Microsoft Office, so I don't know if it recognises those file formats.

The TTS component can be annoying, if you don't turn automatic scrolling on. It stops at the end of every page. Material with two or more columns per page is not always correctly read, when scrolling is set too fast.
The audio voice can be changed, but I don't remember how I did so.

You can adjust font size to anything between 67 and 10 points. Font can be changed to anything in Librera/Fonts.

It can utilize Calibre opf files.

Some of the sort sequences are bizarre. _Man-Kinz Wars_ is a genre of its own, not SF.

You have to scroll forever to get to books at the end of the listing.
It can display book covers, grid pattern, list, or condensed list. I usually leave it on grid pattern. List displays book cover, and text, so it is nominally more useful than either condensed or grid.

You can sort by author, folder, genre, series, publisher. publication date --- all of which assume that the book metadata is accurate, and complete.

I used to use PageTurner and DocumentViewer, both of which trigger umpteen security warnings. Neither has been updated in years. If I was a programmer, I'd update the libraries they require, and use them instead.

I've tried _Shelf_, but finding, and then opening books is a multi-tap sequence. Somewhere between fifteen and twenty taps, to locate the book one wants to read. Then a couple of more taps to open it.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote