Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
kindlematic
Enthusiast
kindlematic began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Improving PDF readability on Kindle DX

Hi,

I'm new to this community - just bought the nex DXG, and trying to make the most of its (still basic) PDF support. Since I am not happy with the way a number of PDF files are displayed, I am wondering if people had suggestions on how to improve/modify existing PDF files (of which I don't have the source) so that they'd look better on the DX, while retaining the original formatting. Here are my main issues:

- Improving the readability of files heavily hit by anti-aliasing. What I refer to is PDF files where text looks grey more than black, especially at low size, due to the use of serif typefaces (as documented here: http://blog.deadinkvinyl.com/2009/07...the-kindle-dx/ ) I suspect something can be done to improve such files, but I can't sort it out. Perhaps, first transforming the pdf file in images, and then back in a pdf? Or changing the contrast? I don't mind losing the ability to search text as long as readability is improved. I have access to Acrobat Pro 9, but happy to try other Mac/Linux tools

- Automatically cropping the file so that not just the white margins are taken out (that's already done by the Kindle), but also portions of the page that are "mostly" white - for example page numbers or graphical layout that makes sense on a printed book, but not on an e-reader. Is there any software capable of doing this automatically? (preferrably on Mac, but I'm flexible)

As an example for what I mean, I suggest you take a look at this sample issue of a magazine I read in PDF, but doesn't render that well on the DX at fit-to-screen, although I am sure it can.

https://pdf.internazionale.it/numero_prova.php

Thanks!
kindlematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Kindlematic, have you tried Calibre? I have not used it but I have heard that it can format files for different display sizes. Also, do a search in this forum for SoPDF. It is a command-line tool for Windows that has some of the Calibre functionality. I have not used it but I have heard it can help with the formatting.

The best solution is to take the Kindle and create a better PDF viewer than what comes built-in. Create it and distribute the source code around the world. Let all developers jump in and add their contributions.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
kindlematic
Enthusiast
kindlematic began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
In my experience, Calibre can't improve an existing PDF file - and is quite inconsistent when converting a multiple column pdf document into .mobi. The Amazon free conversion is much better with the test files I have. Calibre is fantastic for conversion of web content in .mobi format, but that's a different use altogether.
kindlematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Try ABBYY PDF Transformer.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Some digital readers seem to have trouble displaying a PDF which has Times New Roman as a font. Times New Roman is often displayed in light grey and as a sans serif font. It can also change the font size. I think this might be an Adobe Digital Editions problem, but I'm not sure. These PDFs look fine on a computer or printed, but Sony Readers and Kindles seem to have problems with Times New Roman embedded into a PDF.
Advert

Tags
antialias, font, kindle, pdf