Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 06:54 AM   #1
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Question Adobe Digital Editions PDF

So I know PDFs on ereaders are a frequent cause for concern, what with the reflowing issues and whatnot.

But does that apply only to PDFs you create, or all? In particular, I'm curious about novels that are available in PDFs. I've been looking at some ebook retailers, and a few of the books that I would want to buy when I get an ereader are in ADE PDFs.

Can anyone shed any light on whether these will be fine to read?

afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Actually, if you create the PDF, you're in a much better position, since you can set it to have the properties you want it to have. In fact, PDFs you create yourself may well make for the best possible reading experience if you know what you're doing.

Buying a PDF made by someone else is dicey unless you are able to see a sample of it before you pay for it, to find out if it was set up for digital devices. If it's designed for ADE, that means it almost certainly has DRM and you won't be able to make any changes to it. Be wary.

On the other hand, if there is any kind of book where reflow might work reasonably well, it's a novel, since it's unlikely there are a lot of tables or mathematical notation or diagrams, etc., that don't reflow well.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 05:44 AM   #3
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've been reading about PDFs elsewhere on these forums and it seems really poorly implemented.

Clearly a half-assed job by ADE.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
prs700
prs700 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-700
Lightbulb Cool PDF browsing software

Is there a cool PDF browsing software?
something that will show the cover of each document on a cool background, like bookshelves (like in .... you know what)
or allow browsing the covers with cover flow effect (Like you .... know who)

I know Calibre got cover flow, but the way it copies files to its own folder and the way it reads the meta data is not what I'm looking for

Would ADE do it?

still looking

PRS700
prs700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by prs700 View Post
Is there a cool PDF browsing software?
something that will show the cover of each document on a cool background, like bookshelves (like in .... you know what)
or allow browsing the covers with cover flow effect (Like you .... know who)

I know Calibre got cover flow, but the way it copies files to its own folder and the way it reads the meta data is not what I'm looking for

Would ADE do it?

still looking

PRS700
Adobe Acrobat 6 + 7 did have a bookshelf where you could do that. I haven't checked the newer versions.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert