Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
K3: still cannot download PDFs

I was all excited to see the new browser connect with calibre Content Server on my wifi network. Works really well (as I'd hoped)!

But then I tried to download a PDF from it. Sigh: 'can only download .AZW, .MOBI, .PRC, or .TEXT'. Just as with 2nd gen Kindle. This is a real bummer, and Amazon better fix it! Do they support PDF, or do they not? We simply MUST be able to download PDFs with the browser, over wifi at least.

Please join me in sending this suggestion to kindle-feedback@amazon.com, or mention it whenever you talk to CS.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-28-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: replace 'complaint' with 'this suggestion'
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
daroga
Enthusiast
daroga began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I thought the two ways to get PDF content onto the Kindle was to:

A) "Sideload" it through the USB cable and a computer.
-or-
B) Email it to Amazon and have them convert it to an ebook.

I don't have mine yet, but that's what the Amazon descriptions and reviews led me to believe. Is this not the case? Did they promise and not come through on it?
daroga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Do they support PDF, or do they not? We simply MUST be able to download PDFs with the browser, over wifi at least.

Please join me in sending complaints to kindle-feedback@amazon.com, or mention it whenever you talk to CS.
Apologies if I'm wrong about this but I don't think Amazon have claimed it's possible to download PDFs to the Kindle via the experimental browser. As daroga has said there are 2 different ways available to you to get PDFs onto your Kindle, I've used both methods myself & can therefore verify they both work.

It is, of course, entirely up to you if you wish to complain, but it does not seem they have been at all dishonest about this.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinath View Post
Apologies if I'm wrong about this but I don't think Amazon have claimed it's possible to download PDFs to the Kindle via the experimental browser. As daroga has said there are 2 different ways available to you to get PDFs onto your Kindle, I've used both methods myself & can therefore verify they both work.

It is, of course, entirely up to you if you wish to complain, but it does not seem they have been at all dishonest about this.
No, I'm not claiming dishonesty. I just think it is an opportunity for them to improve things, and as it is, it looks like their left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. No technical reason, is there?

I meant 'strong suggestion' really, not complaint.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Demanding Amazon fix something that isn't broken and politely asking them to add a new feature is two very different things. The latter should be the case here as Amazon never claimed to have this ability with any Kindle. PDFs tend to be bloated files filled with lots of Adobe waste material (to put it politely). I don't blame them for limiting the download of large files over a 3G system that is provided free to the K owner. Whispernet was included to allow downloading of Amazon books and any other use is a gracious and free present from Amazon, who BTW still calls the browser expermental meaning that they can take it away anytime they choose. The browser has never been advertised as full fledged feature.
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Demanding Amazon fix something that isn't broken and politely asking them to add a new feature is two very different things. The latter should be the case here as Amazon never claimed to have this ability with any Kindle. PDFs tend to be bloated files filled with lots of Adobe waste material (to put it politely). I don't blame them for limiting the download of large files over a 3G system that is provided free to the K owner. Whispernet was included to allow downloading of Amazon books and any other use is a gracious and free present from Amazon, who BTW still calls the browser expermental meaning that they can take it away anytime they choose. The browser has never been advertised as full fledged feature.
I'd be okay if they restricted it to wifi (which I pay for). They are restricting audiobook downloads to wifi, for example. It would be incredibly useful. And you are inferring 'demand' of course I would be nice about it. (I will elide reference to 'complaint' ok?)

Last edited by tomsem; 08-28-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
This is a real bummer, and Amazon better fix it!
That sounds like a demand with emphasis added. I agree it would be a good thing to have and Amazon does listen, but it will be better to ask politely.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:29 AM   #8
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daroga View Post
I thought the two ways to get PDF content onto the Kindle was to:

A) "Sideload" it through the USB cable and a computer.
-or-
B) Email it to Amazon and have them convert it to an ebook.

I don't have mine yet, but that's what the Amazon descriptions and reviews led me to believe. Is this not the case? Did they promise and not come through on it?
Actually if you just email a PDF to Amazon, they'll forward it to your Kindle without converting it. If you the PDF converted to .azw, you must type "convert" in the subject line. This is a fairly recent change.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote