Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Skype and the iPad

http://share.skype.com/sites/en/2010...or_iphone.html

Quote:
Last Thursday, Apple introduced the iPad, which we’re very excited about here at Skype. David Ponsford, who features in the video above, and his team are reviewing the device and its specs, and you can expect to hear more from us about Skype for iPad in due course.
Kinda surprised Apple is allowing VOIP over 3G now-if it works on the iPad, you would basically have both unlimited voice and data on a $30/month plan, with no contract (assuming you use Skype, and don't mind holding a giant iPad to your head )
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
http://share.skype.com/sites/en/2010...or_iphone.html

Kinda surprised Apple is allowing VOIP over 3G now-if it works on the iPad, you would basically have both unlimited voice and data on a $30/month plan, with no contract (assuming you use Skype, and don't mind holding a giant iPad to your head )
They have just recently started allowing voip via 3G on iphone too.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
They have just recently started allowing voip via 3G on iphone too.
yeah! I have to admit though, I've only tried Skype a few times on a computer, and the quality was so irritating (cutting out, etc..) that I haven't tried it again. Not that my AT&T iPhone voice service is much better...
Old 02-03-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Skype sound quality varies, but it is often totally fine.

There are a bunch of soft-phones for the iPhone, which work fine with most VOIP providers.

For Skype users, I would get Fring, which among other things does Skype over 3G. This is what I use, instead of the Skype app.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
yeah! I have to admit though, I've only tried Skype a few times on a computer, and the quality was so irritating (cutting out, etc..) that I haven't tried it again. Not that my AT&T iPhone voice service is much better...
Maybe it is time you upgraded your internet connection, still on dial-up???
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Wow, that's strange... I've been using Skype for years and in the last year or two, it's become really excellent. My family is scattered across the 4 corners of the globe, and recently we have been using the Skype conference call function and it's still crystal clear.

By the way, since when can we use 3G for Skype calls?
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #7
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I fail to see how the iPad lends itself to Skype use.
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:53 PM   #8
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Maybe it is time you upgraded your internet connection, still on dial-up???
No, but it wasn't a great connection..maybe 1.5M SDSL at the time...its been a while since I used it.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:55 PM   #9
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
Wow, that's strange... I've been using Skype for years and in the last year or two, it's become really excellent. My family is scattered across the 4 corners of the globe, and recently we have been using the Skype conference call function and it's still crystal clear.

By the way, since when can we use 3G for Skype calls?
Since..last week, I think-thru fring! http://gizmodo.com/5459260/fring-iph...-calls-over-3g

Or just wait for Skype to update their iPhone app...coming soon.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:03 AM   #10
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dalliard View Post
Free international phone calls from anywhere - when you are away from your PC!
Old 02-04-2010, 12:03 AM   #11
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dalliard View Post
I'm guessing people who use Skype now on their computers and notebooks with a bluetooth headset or Mic/headphones, can do the same using their iPad while browsing the web, and stuff, just from the comfort of their couch.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #12
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Am I correct in thinking that Skype is only free for Skype to Skype connections and actually charges for Skype to NON Skype (e.g. landline) connections?
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #13
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
Am I correct in thinking that Skype is only free for Skype to Skype connections and actually charges for Skype to NON Skype (e.g. landline) connections?
You are right. But they also have monthly plans in a number of countries. You get a number you can be reached at and you can make unlimited calls inside the country to any landline (and in some cases mobile) numbers.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
dragonbone
must love dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
Yes, that is called Skype Out and making international calls are dirt cheap. I buy 25 Euro about every 6 months to a year.... Skype Out I usually only use for elderly family members abroad who are PC challenged , although it often comes in handy calling abroad for non personal calls too.
P.S. not only landline, any phone anywhere in the world, but landline is better cheaper and clearer.

Last edited by dragonbone; 02-04-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #15
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
well you can plug in headphones/mic to the ipad or use bluetooth. while it doesn't fit in your pocket like a phone. nothing to stop it from working like one.

i've been a skype user for years (including skypeout). it's relatively cheap and it works. while it doesn't seem to have a wide audience in the US it is very much in use in other countries. quality is good enough for voice. on occasion i've had some overseas calls with echos, i just call back and it's gone. no worse than any other telecom equipment these days.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote