Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 01-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
dkarale
dkarale began at the beginning.

Device: EZreader PP, PDA, WM Smart Phone, UMPC, Netbook
Firmware function request......

Just received my Astak Pocket Pro on 01/20/2001, so far I am very happy about it..light and compact. It comes with a 2gb SD card filled with 300 books. However, I wish I can see the following firmware improvements in the future. And hope RobertB can pass this request to the manufacture for the future firmware update.

I have many (more than 3000) Chinese Books in .txt and .html format. They are in in Simple Chinese and Traditional Chinese format. The Astak Pocket Pro does not auto detect Simple and Tradition Chinese, I need to go to the setting all the time to change the Language setting to display the proper Chinese. I installed and set the "DroidSansFallback" font which includes both Simply/Traditional Chinese, still doesn't auto detect or convert.

Hopefully the future firmware can improve to include the function of Auto Detect and Convert Chinese to it's language setting. In other word, when I set the language to Traditional Chinese in the setting, regardless of what Chinese (simple/traditional) .txt or .html format book I opened, it can display Traditional Chinese.

I wish to see more font size for the .txt format. The smallest font size on the Astak PP is still too big for me. The font size selection for the html format is perfect.

P.S. Anybody know if the Chinese Auto Detect function existed and I am not aware of? If so, how can I work such function work? Thanks.
dkarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Can check on auto-detect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkarale View Post
Just received my Astak Pocket Pro on 01/20/2001, so far I am very happy about it..light and compact. It comes with a 2gb SD card filled with 300 books. However, I wish I can see the following firmware improvements in the future. And hope RobertB can pass this request to the manufacture for the future firmware update.

I have many (more than 3000) Chinese Books in .txt and .html format. They are in in Simple Chinese and Traditional Chinese format. The Astak Pocket Pro does not auto detect Simple and Tradition Chinese, I need to go to the setting all the time to change the Language setting to display the proper Chinese. I installed and set the "DroidSansFallback" font which includes both Simply/Traditional Chinese, still doesn't auto detect or convert.

Hopefully the future firmware can improve to include the function of Auto Detect and Convert Chinese to it's language setting. In other word, when I set the language to Traditional Chinese in the setting, regardless of what Chinese (simple/traditional) .txt or .html format book I opened, it can display Traditional Chinese.

I wish to see more font size for the .txt format. The smallest font size on the Astak PP is still too big for me. The font size selection for the html format is perfect.

P.S. Anybody know if the Chinese Auto Detect function existed and I am not aware of? If so, how can I work such function work? Thanks.
Dear dkarale:

I can check. The factory is in China and many of my fellow employees speak and read Mandarin.

The problem is one of not trying to slight any one language. It does not auto-detect English either. If it auto-detected Chinese and English it would likely have to auto-detect all.

I will check!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 12:19 AM   #3
dkarale
dkarale began at the beginning.

Device: EZreader PP, PDA, WM Smart Phone, UMPC, Netbook
Actually, I have no problem to display English in any of the languages setting. English is supported in many languages' font. However, Simple and Traditional Chinese use different character codeset, many programs (web browsers)has such ability to auto detect and display Chinese regardless of whether Simple or Traditional Chinese. There's no auto detect even If I use a Chinese "all-in-one" font (combine of simple and traditional Chinese) .

There's a ebook reader call "Hanvon" has such function in their firmware. When set to Traditional Chinese in the setting and open any Chinese files, the books can display in Traditional Chinese regardless if the books format is in Simple Chinese. Since Jinke is a company in China, they should be able to understand the concept of Chinese. This can be done via the firmware updates with some kind of instructions. Perhaps this is easier to say than done.

Just to be clear, Simple Chinese is used in China, and Traditional Chinese is used in Taiwan and Hong Kong. Japanese's Kanji use traditional Chinese too.
dkarale is offline   Reply With Quote