Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #46
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Dave, thanks for that suggestion.

I need to calm down a bit before I make the next step, or I'll blow a gasket and do something I might regret .....
Blowing a gasket almost always has very detrimental effects!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #47
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I found recently I had to set up an account at paypal.com and give a us address beforre I could purchase everything at fictionwise. Oddly enough, having a UK card funding the paypal account didn't cause a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Oh Yes, I definitely logged onto Paypal, into my account and made the transaction using one of the loaded credit cards - I'm wondering if that is the problem.
I was then returned to Fictionwise cart, no "by-your-leave" - and I have ERROR: The eBook(s) marked below cannot be purchased with the credit card you are trying to use, because those books have geographic rights restrictions by the publisher.. No option to do anything except BACK and remove the offending books from my cart .....

Do you use your credit card? or a nominated bank account - though even the bank account will have a UK identity ...
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #48
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
I know that you needed to do similar things in Amazon if you wanted to buy ebooks for the kindle from outside the US.
Please elaborate. I am all ears...
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #49
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Did Fictionwise warn us this change was to take place ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #50
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
Please elaborate. I am all ears...
Have fun.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 04:49 PM   #51
Rick P.
Rick P. began at the beginning.

Device: smartphone
It seems that we're all agreed that the current situation doesn't make much sense. As an employee of The-Plot-Thickens (an ebook store specializing in fiction) I can confirm that the restriction is imposed on retailers by publishers.

I can understand why authors may want to release the same book to different territories via different publishers, but it seems to me that it's time that the online community is treated as a separate territory in its own right. In other words, a single publisher should be responsible for all ebooks across the world.

If you're dissatisfied with the way things are currently then I'm sure that the publishers will find your feedback useful. At the end of the day the customer drives the whole industry, so if you're struggling to buy their books then they need to know. Why not send them an email? You could even send the author an email. Most authors have their own website with a contact page.
Rick P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:35 PM   #52
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Using Entropay card at Fictionwise

If you want to buy geographically restricted books at Fictionwise and also get the rebates from those books take a look at www.entropay.com.
The Entropay card is a virtual Visa debit card that has no registered billing address, so any address is accepted as a valid billing address.
I registered for a card yesterday and it was activated today.
I can confirm that the card does work at Fictionwise. You only have to change your Fictionwise country to US, and you can use your regelar address and name to pay with the Entropay card. The card is accepted without a problem.

This is of course just my personal experience.

Geert
The Netherlands
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #53
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick P. View Post
I can confirm that the restriction is imposed on retailers by publishers.
This isn't going to go away because of pressure from readers. Some retailer needs to think outside the box and find a legal way to sell US-rights ebooks to anyone who wants them. I assume at least one has explored the option of suing the publisher, but all have implicitly agreed that the publisher is correct in asserting that the nexus of the sale is the purchaser's credit card address. There has to be some way to sell ebooks so that the transaction is finalized in the US.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #54
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #55
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Odd, this. I also came across this georestriction thing earlier today, but when I told FW I lived in Beverly Hills, the credit-card (which is a european issue) payment was accepted for what it was.
Haven't the faintest why it worked, though. Perhaps people living there are allowed to have euro CCs?
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:07 PM   #56
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I found recently I had to set up an account at paypal.com and give a us address beforre I could purchase everything at fictionwise. Oddly enough, having a UK card funding the paypal account didn't cause a problem.
Technically, they shouldn't have a clue what card was funding the paypal account anyway. That's what that (untrustworthy) middle-man is for in the first place.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:21 AM   #57
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
If you want to buy geographically restricted books at Fictionwise and also get the rebates from those books take a look at www.entropay.com.
The Entropay card is a virtual Visa debit card that has no registered billing address, so any address is accepted as a valid billing address.
I registered for a card yesterday and it was activated today.
I can confirm that the card does work at Fictionwise. You only have to change your Fictionwise country to US, and you can use your regelar address and name to pay with the Entropay card. The card is accepted without a problem.

This is of course just my personal experience.

Geert
The Netherlands
Err, I think you'll find that just changing one's country on the Fictionwise profile enables one to buy geographically restricted books. No need to pay in any other way than before.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:29 AM   #58
angryvegan
angryvegan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Err, I think you'll find that just changing one's country on the Fictionwise profile enables one to buy geographically restricted books. No need to pay in any other way than before.
FWIW, unless they have changed something in the last couple of weeks I believe this is not true, from my experience they are checking your credit card billing address and also your (well, my) PayPal account address. The only way I can buy books now is by purchasing MicroPay dollars and using those with a US address.
angryvegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:43 AM   #59
Margrete
Connoisseur
Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.

Device: pixelar ebookreader (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryvegan View Post
FWIW, unless they have changed something in the last couple of weeks I believe this is not true, from my experience they are checking your credit card billing address and also your (well, my) PayPal account address. The only way I can buy books now is by purchasing MicroPay dollars and using those with a US address.
agree, but in my case they only checked my credit card address, after I removed everything related to my norwegian address and credit card in my fictionwise profile and changed the country to USA, then everything worked with paypal even though my paypal account address is norwegian. It's really annoying the whole thing
Margrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:45 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrete View Post
agree, but in my case they only checked my credit card address, after I removed everything related to my norwegian address and credit card in my fictionwise profile and changed the country to USA, then everything worked with paypal even though my paypal account address is norwegian. It's really annoying the whole thing
That's exactly what I did, and I can confirm that it does work.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote