Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Oh I am relieved! I was like Nooooo! I don't want to lose my carousel. I have HD 7 (2013) tablet that I like just the way it is. I don't use the HD 6 (2014) enough to care what they do to it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #17
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Oh I am relieved! I was like Nooooo! I don't want to lose my carousel. I have HD 7 (2013) tablet that I like just the way it is. I don't use the HD 6 (2014) enough to care what they do to it.
I like the Carousel too, also I'm happy with what's currently works. If the upgrade the HD6 at least we can see what all the fuss is about but my HDX works just fine the way it is.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2016, 02:59 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
That's a real policy, or just what they do?
Don't know if it's an actual policy per se, but it's what they're actively doing.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #19
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
I got a letter and then an apology email {Kindle Fire HDX (previous generation}

Quote:
Dear customer,

Recently we inadvertently sent a message to your Amazon Kindle Fire tablet about a software update coming soon. We wanted to let you know that this message was sent in error, and apologise for any inconvenience or confusion we may have caused.

Thank you for being an Amazon customer.

- The Amazon Fire Tablet Team
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #20
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Nothing for me yet.
Advert
Old 01-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Send them an email demanding a free upgraded 2014 HDX for getting your hopes up
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #22
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

My email came today. I think it was later as we have one of both 3rd and 4th Gen tablets. Bless them they even included a link so we could identify which generation our tablets were

Anyway the HD6 will get it but my HDX won't.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #23
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I am carousel-agnostic (I never use that), but I trust there is a task switcher that's as efficient as what Fire OS 4 has (I use that all the time). Where is the darn update already?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:32 PM   #24
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I like the Carousel too, also I'm happy with what's currently works. If the upgrade the HD6 at least we can see what all the fuss is about but my HDX works just fine the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
If you don't like the update, Amazon made it easy for you to go back to OS 4.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201980430
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #25
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Carousel fans, what do you think you'll be missing?

To me, it looks like they are replacing two things that operate in independent contexts but with differing functionality (Carousel in Home contect, and Task Switcher in not-Home context), with one thing (Task Switcher) that operates the same way in every context. This seems a clear improvement and is more like what people would expect if coming from iOS or Android.

To do anything with Carousel, you have to go to Home first, and then maybe swipe to get to it. Conversely if you want to interact with Task switcher, you have to get out of Home context. Arguably, this is not the best UX.

There are things you can do with Carousel that the Fire OS 4 task switcher does not do (Add/Remove/etc via context menu) but the thing one that I most often want to do there (remove from Carousel) is three touch gestures, whereas remove from Task Switcher is one. And for all I know, there is also a context menu in the new Task Switcher to replicate what Carousel used to do (add/remove from collection etc.).

Also, if you don't update, you will miss out on the under-the-hood improvements to Android (better performance and more efficient battery usage). These may be less than miraculous, but every little bit helps.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-14-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:11 PM   #26
conanfan
Me Lurk Here Long Time
conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis; PW1+3g; Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro; KF HDX 7;
I just got a note that my hdx 7 was updated to fire os 4.5.5.1. I have no idea what the update does.
conanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:35 AM   #27
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by conanfan View Post
I just got a note that my hdx 7 was updated to fire os 4.5.5.1. I have no idea what the update does.
My guess, FWIW: it is the latest Kit Kat (Android) patches. There was a similar 'bug fix' update for Fire Phone. Before the update, there was one remaining Stage Fright security issue. After the update, there are none.

This appears to confirm the reports that HDX7 will not be getting Fire OS 5 update as there would be no reason for this patch if they were about to update it to Lollipop based Fire OS 5.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #28
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
My guess, FWIW: it is the latest Kit Kat (Android) patches. There was a similar 'bug fix' update for Fire Phone. Before the update, there was one remaining Stage Fright security issue. After the update, there are none.

This appears to confirm the reports that HDX7 will not be getting Fire OS 5 update as there would be no reason for this patch if they were about to update it to Lollipop based Fire OS 5.
My HDX 7 doesn't yet have 4.5.5.1, if it is a security update it would be nice if they actually sent it to ALL devices!
Old 01-15-2016, 07:54 AM   #29
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

Also hubby's HD6, which in theory will get OS 5, has been updated to 4.5.5.1
Old 01-15-2016, 07:59 AM   #30
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Amazon's Source Code Notice page has been updated with source code version 5.1.1 releases for the 4th Generation Fire tablets (HD 6, HD 7, HDX 8.9), but the actual releases are not yet available on the Fire & Kindle Software Updates page.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote