Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #16
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
It would great if a phone could resist rain showers, and be kept conveniently and safely on your person on boat rides, jet skis, while vising water parks, and doing all those other outdoorsy things that keep us away from land lines in the first place. Heck maybe even while in the hot tub, etc.
Exactly... My phone get carried in the dry bag on my kayak, but sometimes it rings and I take it out in the wet boat. Have to be very careful not to get it wet. My phone rides in my jersey pocket when cycling, have to be careful not to soak it with sweat. It'd also be nice to be able to wash it off afterwards. My phone sits in my pocket while gardening... sometimes it rings while my hands are covered in mud. It'd be nice to be able to answer it w/o fear of messing it up.

My phone sits next to me on my desk at work... just today a coworker noticed that a puddle of condensate was forming from my drink nearby and that it was very close to the phone and moved the phone to keep it dry... it'd be nice to not have to care...
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #17
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Because the phone you describe would be so durable that few would need to be replaced. Don't you know that the economy NEEDS people to buy replacements when the first item is damaged/worn out/not trendy?

Planned Obsolescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
That's nifty, and makes me wonder why more cell phones and other devices aren't made more water resistant... I was just thinking yesterday about how nice it'd be to have a cell phone with no external ports that used wifi/3g/4g/bluetooth for syncing peripherals and had inductive charging. Such a device could be make completely sealed with no place for water or dust ingress and easily meet IPX8 standards.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #18
RONE
Enthusiast
RONE began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Not sure what your tone was there, but just in case you were sincere:

It would great if a phone could resist rain showers, and be kept conveniently and safely on your person on boat rides, jet skis, while vising water parks, and doing all those other outdoorsy things that keep us away from land lines in the first place. Heck maybe even while in the hot tub, etc.

That water proof Kindle is interesting...got to pay a premium for durability it seems.
There are a few companies that make a waterproof coating you can send your phone out to have applied to it. I saw a video of a demonstration of one of the coatings and the person started a song playing, set the phone in a Tupperware container, and started filling it up. The phone kept on playing without a hiccup. I think it costs ~$60 for the coating, which is completely invisible an you'd never know it had been done.
RONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #19
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
A Zip Loc Baggie, here as well. Works in the snow, rain and bath.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #20
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
At the beach, I use the M-Edge Leisure Jacket with my Kindle Keyboard. Dual zippers make it easy to access the on/off switch, and there's a zippered pouch in the back.
That's exactly what I do, given I bought the Leisure Jacket when it was sold for a penny on Amazon during a rather startling sale.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #21
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It's a good thing this is a paperwhite, so you can still read while you're 200 ft under water.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #22
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Definitely a baggie or cover to keep contaminants out (sand, sun tan lotion, etc.)

The thing that keeps me from doing it very often is the heat. Though the air temperature may be below the max rated temp my manufacturer states, the prolonged sunlight meant my unit became noticeably warmer to the touch. Thingies made of plastic/metal/glass tend to do that.

Though it never caused a problem, I always worried it might. So much easier just to bring a paperbook or magazine. Still, if you're there for awhile and have shade you should be fine.

Keep the sand out, though!
I was careful, but didn't use a cover one time. One grain of sand got stuck under the inside rim of the bezel. No damage, just annoying because I couldn't clear it out. It was jammed in there so tight it would have probably caused more damage then that speck would ever do.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #23
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
My solution, two Kindles. The Touch for dirty, B&B (beach and bathroom) situations. Paperwhite for the rest.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Wait, wait! People who read are allowed to like beaches? When did this happen?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #25
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Some of them must have read about sunscreen.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #26
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That happens when they can't resist the pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boy.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	108773  
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote