Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
obionenairobi
obionenairobi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Question Should the Kobo Touch behave like this ???

I just received my Kobo Touch eReader which is my first ereader

I have switched it on and installed and was paging through the books that came with the device and notice that if I flick a page it takes some time for the new page to show and before this the screen becomes black with white letters before the white page with black letter appears

It is very difficult to explain but I only have experience with reading books on a tablet which is much more fluent and you really have the idea that you read a book and the screen does not become black and then white again

Is there a setting that is not good?

I am not sure if I would like to read a book like this and perhaps the device if broken and I have to return it ???

Looking forward to receive some expert inputs
obionenairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Yes this is how eInk behaves. The page refresh causes that black flash. Without the refresh, you can see ghosting of the previous page on your screen. On the Glo - not sure about the Touch - you can change the "page refresh" in Reading Settings (wrench icon) to between 1 and 6 pages. I leave mine on the default 6.

Almost everyone gets used to this flash very quickly, so much that after a while you don't even see it any more. Give it maybe a couple of days. Hope you can enjoy your new ereader as it's a great way to read!
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Yup, that's a normal ebook reader. The all black is the total page refresh. You can change how often it does that. I think the default is every 6 pages. If you notice a lot of ghosting (old words staying put) you can lower it so the black flashes more often.

You'll get used to it!
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
BWinmill
Nameless Being

What do you mean by "it takes some time"? If it is very brief (less than 1 second) then this is normal. If it is taking longer than that, it is not normal.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwurm70 View Post
Yup, that's a normal ebook reader. The all black is the total page refresh. You can change how often it does that. I think the default is every 6 pages. If you notice a lot of ghosting (old words staying put) you can lower it so the black flashes more often.

You'll get used to it!
Or you never get used to it like me. After using it at every 6 pages for 8 months I eventually edited a file (config file?) to make it every 99 pages. I don't have ghosting issues 99% of the time, and when I do, I just manually refresh the page. For me at least, it's the black flash that's evil and ghosting is a non-issue.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #6
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Or you never get used to it like me. After using it at every 6 pages for 8 months I eventually edited a file (config file?) to make it every 99 pages. I don't have ghosting issues 99% of the time, and when I do, I just manually refresh the page. For me at least, it's the black flash that's evil and ghosting is a non-issue.
That's another option. That said, Kobo's software is pretty good at controlling the ghosting. For some reason I notice it far more with koreader. I wonder what the difference is?
Old 07-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
obionenairobi
obionenairobi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Does this have any negative effect on the battery life of the eReader ?
What is the average battery life on this thing anyway ? :-)

Where can I find the method to put it to 99 pages ?

Sorry for the questions but am new at this ...
obionenairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by obionenairobi View Post
Does this have any negative effect on the battery life of the eReader ?
What is the average battery life on this thing anyway ? :-)

Where can I find the method to put it to 99 pages ?

Sorry for the questions but am new at this ...
It will have a positive effect on the battery life, the more you refresh, the more battery is used, so this should make your battery last longer.

I have a glo, not a touch, so i'm not sure about battery life...mine lasts 2-3 weeks, but recently I've been recharging more often, mainly because I've had it hooked up to the computer more than I used to.

Here are the instructions I used (oh and it seems it is setting refresh to 90, not 99,...pretty much the same tho ):

http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...=82265&page=23
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote