Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
allthumbs
allthumbs began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy SGH-1957R
reading books in Calibre Companion

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy tablet &have downloaded Calibre Companion so that I can read books from my Calibre library. So far I think I've sucessfully transferred the books to the tablet but I can't get any of them open to read them on this tablet. Does anyone know how to do that?
allthumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
What happens when you tap the "read" button when looking at a book's details?

Have you installed a reader app that can handle the book types (formats) you have downloaded? Some reader apps are fbreader, moon+, mantano, & cool reader. There are several others.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
allthumbs

I can't see any "READ" button on the book details page. Do I understand correctly that I have to download another app in order to read my books? I did try Moon+ but the only books to show up were the 3 that come with the program.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthumbs View Post
I can't see any "READ" button on the book details page. Do I understand correctly that I have to download another app in order to read my books? I did try Moon+ but the only books to show up were the 3 that come with the program.
The read button is on the action bar at the top right of the screen. It is next to the delete button. See the screen capture below.

You can also read by long-pressing on a book.

And yes, you must install a reader app that can handle the book formats (types) you have. This is a rather personal choice that will depend on what you are looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	568
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	96861  

Last edited by chaley; 11-26-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Add screen capture
Old 11-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
allthumbs

The Read button is greyed out & long pressing on a book doesn't seem to work either.
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

In that case you are connected to the content server and have not yet downloaded the book you are trying to read.

You can tell you are connected to the content server because before tapping on a book to see its details, the action bar says "CC Content Server". If you are connected to the content server, the page displaying books will have a check mark next to the book if the book is downloaded. See the screen capture below.

You should tap the "back" button until you disconnect from the content server. At that point you will see only books you have already downloaded, not books that are available for downloading from your calibre server.

Edit: Assuming that you have downloaded books, once you have disconnected from the content server you will also be able to use CC's grouping, sorting, and searching facilities.

Edit 2: You might want to try connecting as a wireless device. This mode is far better for doing bulk downloads than the content server. Once connected, you can use calibre to "send to device" the books you want on your tablet, and can use calibre's books-on-device display to bulk delete books from your tablet..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	478
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	96863  

Last edited by chaley; 11-26-2012 at 07:20 PM.