Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Cool Javelin
Enthusiast
Cool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle (early)
Feature request during conversion

Hello all, I am new to this forum, this is my first post here.

I have been using Calibre 0.8.62 for some months now, and think it is great.

However, when converting a bunch of books from PDF to MOBI, the pdf to html converter crashes from time to time.

I understand new programs have issues and I can deal with the crashing, I assume the designers will fix it some day.

But, the entire queue halts and waits for me to click OK on a popup message telling me it crashed.

It would be better if the queue scheduler could continue to convert other books while the error message was displayed.

I had 200 books to convert, started it and went to bed, and the next morning I found it had crashed and after dismissing the error message found I still had 192 books to go (so much for letting the computer work for me while I sleep, I have to babysit it.)

Just my 2 cents for today,

Keep up the good work, you guys rock.

Mark.
Cool Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Javelin View Post
Hello all, I am new to this forum, this is my first post here.
Welcome to Mobileread.

Quote:
However, when converting a bunch of books from PDF to MOBI, the pdf to html converter crashes from time to time.
You are a brave soul. Using PDF as a source is challenging to say the least. Although not related to your current problem I would suggest that at some point you may want to read the Sticky post at the top of this forum titled "Read this before Posting PDF Questions."

Quote:
I understand new programs have issues and I can deal with the crashing, I assume the designers will fix it some day.
Calibre is not a new program and since most of the crash problems that occur with PDFs are related to the library calibre uses, most likely it won't get fixed any time soon. Of course nothing can get fixed if details of the crash aren't reported. If you tell us what the pop-up error states or include the details from the crashed book we might be able to be of more help. To find the details you can click on jobs in the lower right corner of calibre and then click show details for the job that crashed. I found two bug reports similar to what you describe here and here.

Quote:
But, the entire queue halts and waits for me to click OK on a popup message telling me it crashed.
After you click OK do the jobs continue? Most books that error out during conversion do not prevent other conversion jobs in the queue from processing.

Quote:
It would be better if the queue scheduler could continue to convert other books while the error message was displayed.
If simply pressing OK gets the other jobs going again then this sounds like a good idea.

FYI, To submit an actual feature request follow the directions on this page.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-13-2012 at 03:41 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2012, 03:47 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is no way to keep jobs going after a crash, because windows, in its infinite wisdom decides to freeze the process in place while displaying the crash notification. For non-crash errors (or for crashes on non windows platforms), the queue manager will continue converting.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Cool Javelin
Enthusiast
Cool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a TexanCool Javelin might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle (early)
Hi, and thanks for the replys,

I sidestepped the issue, here is a workaround.

I have a program called "WinBatch" from WindowWare (old copy)

I simply wrote a small batch file that looks for the windows and closes them, thus:

Code:
WinError = "pdftohtml.exe"
calError = "Conversion Error"

:checkloop
if WinExist(WinError) then sendkeysto(WinError,"D")
if WinExist(calError) then sendkeysto(calError,"~")
delay(3)
goto checkloop

dwanthny:
One of the popups is from Windows saying...

pdftohtml crashed and needs to close...

and as kovidgoyal reports, yes, the program halts till I get rid of that Windows popup.

The second popup reads "Conversion Error" "Failed: convert book nn of xx (title of book)"

It looks like the conversion halts during this message too.

kovidgoyal:

Thanks, I do have an Ubuntu system, maybe I will try to install Calibre there to test.

Mark.
Cool Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote