Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 06-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
DJ Vollkasko
DJ Vollkasko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Fetch News doesn't (fetch news, that is)

Hi,

I've just moved from my old PowerBook to a newer MacBook with the latest calibre version on it and brought along my calibre library. Everything is great, except that my new calibre 0.8.35 installation doesn't load any news. I can see the jobs in the window, and the wheel is spinning, and the time is nicely counting, but after a couple hundred minutes per attempt something should have come up. The connection to the WWW is up.

Where can I configure that or check what's wrong? I didn't find any option to change settings for this (besides the chooser for the news sources itself) in calibre and the help manuals. Or could it be a firewall setting?

Cheers,

DJV.
DJ Vollkasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
DJ Vollkasko

Oh, and I'm on OSX 10.7.4, with activated Firewall and permission for calibre to receive incoming connections.
Advert
Old 06-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Vollkasko View Post
Oh, and I'm on OSX 10.7.4, with activated Firewall and permission for calibre to receive incoming connections.
Incoming????

FETCH is an OUTGOING request
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:53 AM   #4
DJ Vollkasko

Where can I set this up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Incoming????

FETCH is an OUTGOING request

Right, so how can I get this going? I didn't see anything in calibre to configure that, not in Firewall settings (only incoming requests, which we don't need here).

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2012, 02:53 AM   #5
DJ Vollkasko

BTW, nice kitty.
Advert
Old 06-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
DJ Vollkasko

How to configure fetch news on OSX 10.7?

Hi,

I tried fetching news with the Firewall off, but still no worky. Internet access is otherwise working. On my old box with OSX 10.4, fetching news was such a joy and basically plug-and-play.

What settings does calibre need for the proxies on Mac OSX 10.7?
Where else can this be configured in the app?
Does calibre have an error log that might help?

Thanks for you help!

Alexander
Old 06-27-2012, 03:49 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You get logs by clicking the rotating jobs spinner in the bottom right and then double clicking a job.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
DJ Vollkasko

Thanks, Kovid! Let's see:

So the status is always waiting (both with firewall on this machine on or off), even after over 500 minutes, and in the log popup it says (translated) "No additional information available."

I guess then it is no calibre error, but some proxy or permission question. But all other webservices work! What could it be?

---------
MBP running OSX 10.7.4, accessing the web via TimeCapsule as router.

Last edited by DJ Vollkasko; 06-27-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That means the download is not even starting. Are you able to run conversions?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:11 AM   #10
DJ Vollkasko

All is well now!

Hi Kovid,

I couldn't test that properly, because calibre started with fetch news jobs which would not stop when I tried to abort them. So my conversion was stuck in the queue.

When I'd deselected the news sources and restarted calibre, I was informed of an available update. In the info to your update I didn't see something I found directly addressing this problem, but updated nevertheless to calibre 0.8.58 and started calibre.

At. which. point. fetch. news. worked. perfectly.

Just like that. Thanks a lot for your patience and support! Sometimes, fairy tales come true.

Greetings from Brother Grimm-city Hanau, Germany!