Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #16
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlaf View Post
Ok, I'm requesting publicly.

Does anybody have Kindle 3 wifi images, needed for repairing my Kindle? If somebody has, please pm me the link.

Thanks.
PM me the link to, so I can add the image to the pastebin URLs...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
wlaf
Enthusiast
wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
While I was searching for the problem, I found that this is the closest description to my own problem:

Kindle Infinite Reboot When Updating
I’ve received several messages from people who try to install an update or a hack (for example Unicode Font Hack) and Kindle enters infinite install update-fail-reboot cycle. Some believe that the device is bricked. I also saw people posting on forums about similar problems. Good news is that if it happened to your device chances are it’s not bricked. All you need to do is put your device into Recovery Mode by holding “Home” button when the device boots up. Once in recovery mode, connect it to your PC via USB cable and remove the update_*.bin file that fails to install from the Kindle drive, unplug the USB cable and then press “R” to reboot the Kindle. It should boot normally. Once it boots you can make another attempt and installing the same update. Most likely you will not have the same problem.
It’s unclear what causes this problem. I saw it happening with hacks as well with official Amazon updates. Deleting and copying the same update will fix it. I can guess that there is some bug in Kindle USB disk related software and sometimes update file is not stored correctly which causes update unpacker to fail. Good way to test this theory would be to make a copy of the faulty update file from the Kindle drive when in recovery mode and compare it to the original. I’ll test it if I get a chance.
Read more: http://blogkindle.com/2009/05/kindle...when-updating/
wlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #18
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
While I was searching for the problem, I found that this is the closest description to my own problem:

Kindle Infinite Reboot When Updating
I’ve received several messages from people who try to install an update or a hack (for example Unicode Font Hack) and Kindle enters infinite install update-fail-reboot cycle. Some believe that the device is bricked. I also saw people posting on forums about similar problems. Good news is that if it happened to your device chances are it’s not bricked. All you need to do is put your device into Recovery Mode by holding “Home” button when the device boots up. Once in recovery mode, connect it to your PC via USB cable and remove the update_*.bin file that fails to install from the Kindle drive, unplug the USB cable and then press “R” to reboot the Kindle. It should boot normally. Once it boots you can make another attempt and installing the same update. Most likely you will not have the same problem.
It’s unclear what causes this problem. I saw it happening with hacks as well with official Amazon updates. Deleting and copying the same update will fix it. I can guess that there is some bug in Kindle USB disk related software and sometimes update file is not stored correctly which causes update unpacker to fail. Good way to test this theory would be to make a copy of the faulty update file from the Kindle drive when in recovery mode and compare it to the original. I’ll test it if I get a chance.
Read more: http://blogkindle.com/2009/05/kindle...when-updating/
Thanks. I remember seeing some posts (from NiLuJe?) that discussed this too...
Old 06-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #19
wlaf
Enthusiast
wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Reading the blog post more precise:

Quote:
Once it boots you can make another attempt and installing the same update. Most likely you will not have the same problem.
It’s unclear what causes this problem. I saw it happening with hacks as well with official Amazon updates. Deleting and copying the same update will fix it.
So, it only tells you to remove the faulty updates, and don't tell how to install updates in recovery mode:

In the other post we read: (http://blogkindle.com/2009/03/kindle-2-recovery-mode/)

Quote:
If I figure out the “recovery mode update” trick I’ll surely post about it.
So, It's unclear how to install updates using recovery mode. Is it enough to reboot the device using the key "R" or "alt+q"?

Last edited by wlaf; 06-12-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #20
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, like geekmaster said, you should be able to do a reset to factory defaults through the recovery, which should help, unless you broke some boot scripts.

I'll try to find my few posts about the procedure on a K3, but basically, hold [HOME] after a hard reset, and type RESET when the reset screen asks you to.

EDIT: Err, that might be the procedure on FW 2.5, not 3.x, can't remember... >_<"

On the recovery update front, forget about it, they need to be signed by amazon, and in the right format. So, while kindletool can build recovery updates, you won't be able to actually run them (because they'll be signed by us, not amazon), unless you have a patched kernel.
No idea what happens with OTA official updates, but, if it even accepts them, I doubt the result would be different than if you had run it through the Settings page (it won't help in your case, but it probably won't hurt either). And, as geekmaster said, I've never seen official recovery updates in the wild. (And there aren't much custom ones floating around here either, since it implies running a patched kernel).

EDIT²: If I remember correctly, the thing with FW 2.5 (and possibly the K3), was that to enter the recovery menu, you *had* to go through the RESET screen... (And then hold [HOME] again to get into recovery, I think).

Anyway, if you've already done the RESET=>Recovery thing, and it still doesn't boot, you borked a boot script/a vital config file. If you had usbnetwork installed, you might try to put it back on the userstore (the usbnet folder, not the .bin) and enable the auto mode, then quickly ninja ssh on the next reboot and stop the framework before it triggers the 'YKNR' screen, and then see what exactly is the problem. (You mentioned 'tweaking' some boot scripts to enable usbnet at boot.. Err, WTH? The feature's builtin the usbnet hack, you just have to touch a file in the userstore... o_O)

Other than that, serial console ^^?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-12-2012 at 01:47 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #21
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I think that "tweaked boot scripts" + failure to start up normally == serial console.

But anyone is welcome to correct my math on that one.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #22
wlaf
Enthusiast

Today I went to electroinic store to buy usb-ttl 1.8v convertor, but unfortunately they only had 5-3.3v. What do you suggest? Will it work or I have to create custom board?
Thanks for your help. :-)
8tw, I think hiding kernel messages with the welcome screen is a bad idea. I wish i could work with the boot loader just like what you can do with grub and lilo.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #23
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Today I went to electroinic store to buy usb-ttl 1.8v convertor, but unfortunately they only had 5-3.3v. What do you suggest? Will it work or I have to create custom board?
8tw, I think hiding kernel messages with the welcome screen is a bad idea. I wish i could work with the boot loader just like what you can do with grub and lilo.
Try looking in the Hardware index for a level shifter circuit.

You can, u-boot is script-able, you need a serial port connection first (the same serial port is used by u-boot as is later used by /dev/console).

Keep in mind that changing the U-Boot scripting might send you back to the store for an eJTAG unit.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #24
geekmaster

Quote:
Several people (including myself) have had success with their kindles seeing 3.3v okay IF the kindle has an additional ground (USB port connected). It seems that the ground pin on the serial connector in some kindle models does not work well.

For the kindle OUTPUT to be seen by the adapter, you may need a series diode, so the kindle can pull the adapter side of the diode to 0.7v (logic zero) or allow the line to float to the 3.3v on the adapter (perhaps pulled up to 3.3v with an additional 20K resistor). If the pullup current is too high (such as when driving a status LED) the kindle may not be able to pull it down to a logic zero.

See the 1.8v level shifter circuit in the hardware index wiki. You probably do not need to use the side of that circuit with the two diodes, which was necessary before using the extra USB ground...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-13-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #25
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Try looking in the Hardware index for a level shifter circuit.

You can, u-boot is script-able, you need a serial port connection first (the same serial port is used by u-boot as is later used by /dev/console).

Keep in mind that changing the U-Boot scripting might send you back to the store for an eJTAG unit.
You can use a patched custom u-boot launched from MfgTool, like the ones used in the "Select Boot" thread.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-13-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #26
geekmaster

(this space reserved) -- problems with duplicate posts...
Old 06-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #27
wlaf
Enthusiast

Thanks...
Is using 3.3v safe? I mean if it doesn't work, I can create a custom board, but is there any chance of breaking the Kindle hardware using 3.3v?
Btw, it seems that the root of the problem is now obvious. I have changed inittab to include usbnetworking, and maybe I had mistakes there, but it is really strange, because I have rebooted the device several times and I had no problem, 2 exceptions was rebooting through the shell. The first time I could be able to repair using updates, but this time, no.
Does rebooting through Kindle shell actually reboot the device? If it's true, I should have this problem with the first reboot through Kindle menus.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #28
geekmaster

Quote:
Thanks...
Is using 3.3v safe? I mean if it doesn't work, I can create a custom board, but is there any chance of breaking the Kindle hardware using 3.3v?
Btw, it seems that the root of the problem is now obvious. I have changed inittab to include usbnetworking, and maybe I had mistakes there, but it is really strange, because I have rebooted the device several times and I had no problem, 2 exceptions was rebooting through the shell. The first time I could be able to repair using updates, but this time, no.
Does rebooting through Kindle shell actually reboot the device? If it's true, I should have this problem with the first reboot through Kindle menus.
The K4 and K5 have a 1K series resistor on both the Tx and Rx lines. I and other have successfully connected them to 3.3v, but depending on which 3.3v serial you use, you may have to use part (or all) of the level-shifter circuit linked in the hardware index. Also, on my adapter, I needed to remove an LED from it that drew more current than the kindle could sink to ground for a logic zero, and I added a 20K pullup resistor to 3.3v on the adapter side of the diode. It works great.

Some people reported that their adapter just worked with not modification or level shifting. Also, the ground on the serial connector is often NOT enough. It helps to connect a USB cable between the kindle and the computer using the serial adapter, for a better ground connection.

There have been reports of the serial I/O changing its settings, working during u-boot then failing when loading the linux kernel, until a level shifter was used...
Old 06-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #29
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
If you had usbnetwork installed, you might try to put it back on the userstore (the usbnet folder, not the .bin) and enable the auto mode, then quickly ninja ssh on the next reboot and stop the framework before it triggers the 'YKNR' screen, and then see what exactly is the problem.
*whistling*
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #30
wlaf
Enthusiast

I could be able to connect to kindle using serial, but I think the connection is recieve only. How can I find out if I'm connected successfully? Does kindle boot echo typed characters just like normal linux when it boots?

Tags
boot, reboot, shell