Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Penguin no longer participates in Overdrive Library Service

Today, there have been reports that Penguin US have removed all their titles from Overdrive Kindle format. Epubs are still available.

If you have a title on reserve, it may be unavailable or switched to epub.

I haven't found any media reports from Penguin or Overdrive yet.

Last edited by Fbone; 11-21-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Fbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I wonder what this will mean...if anything at all.

Last edited by MrsJoseph; 11-21-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: changed mind
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I would think it would be an all or nothing situation. That they would allow library lending or they wouldn't. Stupider situations have certainly arisen, though, so I refuse to be surprised regardless of how it pans out.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here are the Amazon forum members discussing it ...

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_...x1I6JSIBWTLK06
Old 11-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Wait, isn't Penguin exclusive to B&N? I'm trying to think if I've seen them anywhere else.... If so, that would explain why. Maybe B&N was able to hit them with a cease and desist or something.

This change might help B&N but it certainly won't help Penguin.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I absolutely hate the entire publishing landscape right now. Somebody wake me up when this crap has been sorted and ebooks are no longer the devil.

Can't buy the ebook unless you have the correct address... can't borrow the ebook unless you have a certain eReader. It's no wonder people just give up and pirate.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

The Help is available at Amazon, Kobo and Sony so I don't think it would be an exclusive.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Interesting. There have been a few titles that showed up over the last month or two at my library that were not available to borrow thru Amazon.

One that I remember was "Better Angels of Our Nature" by Pinker. It's published by Viking (which falls under Penguin).
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
It might not be limited to Kindle editions

http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2011/...-ebook-titles/

I guess it's back to Penguin hard covers from the library for me.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post

Sounds like they want find stronger drm and such. Must be too many ebooks are getting hacked and then passed out on the sharing networks. You can not stuff a hard copy of a book down a wire or air wave.

They want the money, honey!

DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post

That article claims it's all Penguin Digital formats, but that's just not holding up to scrutiny. There are plenty of Penguin titles still available in Adobe ePub at my libraries, while none can be found in Kindle format.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I absolutely hate the entire publishing landscape right now. Somebody wake me up when this crap has been sorted and ebooks are no longer the devil.

Can't buy the ebook unless you have the correct address... can't borrow the ebook unless you have a certain eReader. It's no wonder people just give up and pirate.
Exactly!
I believe that most people will choose the ereader that works best for them. Then they just want to purchase ebooks easily at a fair price and possibly borrow them from the library. They don't want to find that the book they want to read is twice the price to purchase in the format they need, or not available because of where they live.
Why does it have to be so hard?
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That article claims it's all Penguin Digital formats, but that's just not holding up to scrutiny. There are plenty of Penguin titles still available in Adobe ePub at my libraries, while none can be found in Kindle format.
All new titles won't be available. Plus, all Kindle format titles will be removed.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I didn't know who it was, but I did notice within the last week or so that suddenly the number of kindle versions of the books at my library dropped by at least 300 or so. So I'm guessing it must have been this. I'll have to check, I think I had a couple of them in my wish list that the kindle option disappeared from, have to check the publisher.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
By using the advanced search at Overdrive, I cannot search for any Mobipocket eBooks. So from what I gather, overdrive dropped all Mobipocket.

And it seems that Penguin Kindle eBooks are not available at libraries.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote