Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
tothepoint
Writer
tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.tothepoint is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: Kindle
Is it worth replacing your Kindle 3 for a 4?

Interested to hear from people who replace their Kindle 3, 2 or 1 with one of the new generation models.

Could you tell the rest of us which model you bought, why, and if it's worth switching.

Thanks ever so much.
tothepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
If it isn't broke don't fix it. I bought a Kindle 3g and love it. I have no plans to replace it as long as it is still working. Having said that I am planning on getting the Kindle Fire but not as my main reading device, but as a tablet. If you are happy with your current device I would save the money until you need to upgrade and prices will most likely be even lower. There are no real advancements that make getting the newer model right away unless a touch screen is really that important to you.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I had a Kindle 3 (now Kindle keyboard) since October 2010. I found that I NEVER used the keyboard (except for the menu, 5-way controller and back butons) so it didn't make sense in my situation to have a keyboard on my eReader. As soon as I saw the new Kindle announced (non touch) I knew it was for me. Same screen size but smaller overall size due to lack of keyboard. The fact that the processor is faster is a bonus. Sure it has less internal memory but the extra 5GB of "personal documents" that Amazon gives you more than makes up for that in my opinion. If you're like myself and don't ever use the keyboard then it makes sense to go for the update.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I have read that the new Kindle 3g models will not have free 3g web surfing, but that the Kindle Keyboard models will keep the free web surfing, so that is something to keep in mind.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
There's no reason to replace your K3 with a K4. The older model works just fine.

I made the mistake of giving away my K3 a few days before the K4 launched. It looks like I might end up buying a refurbed K3 to replace it.

The K4 is nice, but it's also uunderpowered. It can't play all the games due to hardware limitations (RAM and keyboard).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
I personally would not trade a 3 for a 4

I do not own a 1 or 2 so I'm not sure on them
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
There's no reason to replace your K3 with a K4. The older model works just fine.

I made the mistake of giving away my K3 a few days before the K4 launched. It looks like I might end up buying a refurbed K3 to replace it.

The K4 is nice, but it's also uunderpowered. It can't play all the games due to hardware limitations (RAM and keyboard).
If all you use it for is an e-reader then it's not underpowered at all. In a year of using my K3 I never used audio, games or the browser.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I see it as a resounding maybe. The upgrade from K1 to K3 was well worth it. I'm less sure about the upgrade from K3 to K4, especially with the Fire so enticingly priced.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Smile Yes, K4 already in use, Kindle Touch to follow...

I swapped my K3 with keyboard for a K4. My pal at work was happy to get my K3 WiFi and cover for $60. The K4 is *much* smaller and lighter and seems to respond more quickly. The screen is even a little clearer but not by much. For long reads the light weight is a *huge* win.

On Friday I also ordered a Kindle Touch SO WiFi and expect that to be Nirvana.

I tend to bookmark a lot as I read because I found that the page turn buttons on the K3K are easy to bump and the bumps occur enough to be annoying.

The K4 has no dedicated Bookmark button like Alt-B so it takes "menu | down x 4 | Select" to make a bookmark. The Kindle touch should solve that issue completely one way or the other.

Finally there is no audio on the K4 and I wish there was a way to order a Kindle Touch without it as well. I understand why Amazon made the choices that they made given that they own Audible, the audiobook service, but honestly feel that Audiobooks are better on the iPhone 4.

As an iPad owner I have absolutely no need for a Kindle Fire. IMHO only inexperienced eBook Readers (the human kind) use a heavier LCD device as a reader. The light kills your eyes after a few minutes. The Kindle Fire will do well as a multipurpose device but there really is no need for a single device to do everything so I will not buy one.

So there you have it. I'm a typical Kindle customer with my own set of preferences who is looking forward to November.
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
In a year of using my K3 I never used audio, games or the browser.
Everyone's different. I bought the K3 primarily for the no-monthly-fee international internet, although the idea of switching from a tiny Palm device, to Pearl eInk, for reading Project Gutenberg books, certainly sounded nice, and is.

As for sound, we sometimes play music on it though the car audio. As a sound player, the Kindle is superior to what I have used most of my life (33 1/3 RPM records that skip).

The K4 now being shipped sounds like it has some nice touches (glare-free, fast unobstrusive page turns) but still doesn't interest me. Plus it will not last all that long due to a non-replaceable battery. Maybe it is priced according to value (essentially, free) if you take advantage of enough of the special offers, but I doubt we would.

Touch screen? I don't see how it would be an improvement, and if they block off full internet on it, as intermittently threatened, the device will be much worse than the K3 for my purposes. On the other hand, if the touch has the same internet as the keyboard Kindle, and if my now out-of-warranty K3 dies a year from now, the touch could be considered.

A tablet without 3G, and with a screen still too small to show complex Pdf's? That has a battery which may not last all day? That makes no sense to me. The only reason I would want a tablet is as a highly portable computer, so the battery has to last from early morning to late at night before recharging. Someone may say that I wouldn't use it for 16 hours continuously, and it could be turned off when not used. But if the manufacturer claims 8 hours on a fresh battery, what will actual battery life be on a year-old battery?

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 10-02-2011 at 09:32 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
If I was to replace my Kindle 3 it would be for the Kindle Touch. The Kindle Touch is the top of the line Kindle now. The 79 dollar Kindle is a budget Kindle.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #12
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Bought one to write this review but for my day-to-day reading I'm going to stick with K3 (Keyboard). In everything except for size and weight K4 is a downgrade compared to K3 and even K2 in many aspects.

Unless you absolutely prefer size to keyboard or absolutely don't want to spend more than $79 on eReader or you absolutely don't use 3G, I'd suggest waiting for Kindle Touch since this is the one that really seems like an upgrade.

For me personally the biggest turn off is complete lack of 3G.

Apps will catch up eventually since the blocker there is keyboard-centric UI (that can be changed in many cases) rather than memory limitation
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:32 AM   #13
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
From the sound of things, 3G web browsing is being discontinued for the non-keyboard models, and I'm pretty reluctant to let that little perk go.

Putting aside the 3G issue, I would be interested in the Touch model if/when someone creates an application for making hand written notes with a stylus. Something like that would definitely extend the usability.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:54 AM   #14
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
If you didn't already have an ereader, I'd say go ahead and get the new $79 model. But, if you are on a K3 with the keyboard, I couldn't recommend "upgrading" to the newer, non-touch model.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #15
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
Bought one to write this review but for my day-to-day reading I'm going to stick with K3 (Keyboard). In everything except for size and weight K4 is a downgrade compared to K3 and even K2 in many aspects.
Except the K4 non touch has a faster processor than the K3. So that is an upgrade.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote