Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #16
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I got excited when if saw the format "LIT" listed for the Jetbook Mini along with all the other major types of format, but then I realized that they were supplying the converter for that.

Do all of them (LCD screens) have color?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #17
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I got excited when if saw the format "LIT" listed for the Jetbook Mini along with all the other major types of format, but then I realized that they were supplying the converter for that.

Do all of them (LCD screens) have color?
No, all the 5" jetBook displays are Reflective Black&White TFT LCD - not
color. They can display pictures in Grayscale, though.

This is off topic.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #18
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
The Battle of e-readers in the Russian School System

I like this article. It explains many things:http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...school-system/

The Russian educational system is providing an old west style free for all that is encouraging many tech companies to vie with important contracts. Recently a top level decision was made to digitize the Russian educational school system. This has promoted companies to vie for contracts to be one of the technologies used in thousands of schools. This obviously means its a very important race to be the one to prospectively over a hundred million in sales.

Right now in Russia many pilot programs are being launched with competing devices to find the right solution. Different tablets and e-readers who have firmware geared towards schools are jockeying for position.

The two most important companies who have the best chance to being selected have a tremendous amount of experience and a solid management team to make it happen. Both Plastic Logic and Ectaco are considered the front runners in being the company selected and earn a huge payday.

Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #19
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Agree. I don't know why Amazon don't use Color E Ink screen for their DX model.
from all the info it looks like no one else is using color eink except Ectaco

i really cant wait to get one of these units

im sure theres gonna b a faster refresh rate when it hits the market and i'll surely b the first in line as soon as we hear about a release date

and in regards to brand recognition Ectaco really needs some credit cuz theyve put out some great stuff and theres no way i would switch to anything (aka love all the format support) and im sure theyll blow us away with all the features in this jetbook color

totally excited!
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #20
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
I like this article. It explains many things:http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...school-system/

i dont believe in Plastic Logic.

i would NEED a color device for school and looking at the color eink video ectaco has, it's already oriented towards education so i dont think PL can catch up in that sense.

i really hope to see the jetbook color as the device of choice. with the proper funding im sure it's gonna b an amazing unit
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #21
myral
Enthusiast
myral began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PocketBook 360, Kindle 2, CyBook gen 3
When? How much? How (do we get it in Europe)? I like both of them. After several broken screens, an unbreakable screen seems like the best option for educational purposes. Then again... colour e-ink! Software developped especially for students and teachers... Sounds exciting.
myral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #22
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myral View Post
When? How much? How (do we get it in Europe)? I like both of them. After several broken screens, an unbreakable screen seems like the best option for educational purposes. Then again... colour e-ink! Software developped especially for students and teachers... Sounds exciting.
The price for jetBook Color in Russia is 15000 rubles - less than $500
http://ectaco.ru/jetbookcolor

I don't see any price information for jetBook Color on US website
http://www.jetbookk12.com/jetbookcolor/
but somebody posted the price will be $350, $30 less than Kindle DX
Old 10-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #23
X read X
Banned
X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone 4, Jetbook Color.
I think the fact that it is being used already in Russia adds to its credibility. That right there tells you about its viability as a teaching tool. Still, id like to see one for myself
X read X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #24
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
The reason I don't really like the E-ink color yet is that the page turns are still pretty slow. Compared to the new Kobo Touch and Nook Simple Touch readers, maybe it would be good for textbooks like it shows. But I think for reading books we still have a while to go.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #25
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Just noticed this, why does the one in the video and the one is the Comic book picture say Haanvon? And the others say Jetbook?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:05 PM   #26
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Just noticed this, why does the one in the video and the one is the Comic book picture say Haanvon? And the others say Jetbook?
Hanvon and jetBook use the same screen and hardware but jetBook software is different.

See Hanvon&jetBook PR below
http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/ec...tional-market/

Ectaco Inc., the world’s leader in portable language learning and the manufacturer of the jetBook eBook Reader announced today that it has teamed up with Hanvon, a leading global eBook Reader manufacturer and character recognition technology provider to create the first ever eBook Reader oriented towards education and implementation into standard classroom usage for teachers and students worldwide. These two brand new Educational eBook Readers will be showcased at the 2011 Book Expo of America in New York.
The second educational eBook Reader, named jetBook Color, will be implemented to schools across the US, China and Eastern Europe for the 2011-2012 school year. It will utilize the newest 9.8 inch Color E-Ink screen with an easy to use interface directed toward students and teachers. It will feature most of the programs from the jetBook K-12 with extra components based on each regions educational system.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #27
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
from all the info it looks like no one else is using color eink except Ectaco
Hanvon are actually the ones who created the device and marketed it. They are branding the devices outside of China for Ectaco. Ectaco has made some software tweaks specific for the Russian school project. Mainly to do with the school texts available.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 10-03-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #28
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
REALLY interested to see this! =) The fact that it's so large escaped me until I saw the video. I've been worried that my DX is getting pretty elderly, but this could be a stepped up replacement.

I wonder how easy it would be to strip off a lot of the school oriented stuff? I really don't need SAT studies anymore, lol!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:47 AM   #29
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I guess we won't see the Ectaco becoming a full fledged desk companion...
Are there any feats of this thread included in the jetbook color?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157072

I actually really like the idea of a graphic calculator in a reader!
The hardware is more than capable, the software could cost as low as $5 or $10, and would be a major improvement over a $100 Texas Instrument calculator.
The fact that an ebook reader could become all in one is very interesting (not only a book reader, but also a browser, a sketchpad, an agenda, and a graphic calculator; not even mentioning a simple gaming console, and perhaps even a TTS reader)!
One that for once will be able to display PDF documents full size without having the text disappear in the pixels!

I just hope for a long battery life though!

One more thing, what about color intensity of black and white compared to current e-ink screens? Are the darks as dark, and the lights as light?

What about resolution?
What is the total amount of pixels, if every pixel would be black instead of colored?
Meaning, when they would calculate the resolution in total amount of pixels, divide by the amount of colors, how much would the actual resolution be (seeing that for instance a computer monitor of 1280x800 pixels in reality has 3840 x 800 pixels, because each horizontal pixel is divided into 3 sub divisions (red, green, and blue).

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-16-2011 at 04:51 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #30
humandroid
Connoisseur
humandroid began at the beginning.

Quote:
You can see jetBook color video here:

Second half of the video sold me!
humandroid is offline   Reply With Quote