Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
lamparty
lamparty began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Binary install for 0.7.54 no longer working: Ubuntu

Ubuntu 10.10 gives sudo: python2: command not found.
I edited the command to just python and the install worked perfectly!
this one works in Ubuntu 10.10
sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read(); main()"
this one doesn't
sudo python2 -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read(); main()"
Old 04-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Thanks, fixed.
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
Fixed for dumbuntu but broke for the other distros' that use python2 for legacy?

Just trolling.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The installation script should work with both python 2 and 3, so it doesn't matter. calibre itself will continue to use python2
Old 04-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Device: N800/Nokia 5230/PB IQ701/PB 360
Is there no deb package which could be installed from a Ubuntu 10.10 repo?
The current 10.10 version is 0.7.18 while the latest calibre version is 0.7.54...
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I don't maintain distro specific packages, I have better uses for my time.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I don't maintain distro specific packages, I have better uses for my time.
yes, and that is too bad. for many of us the instructions of the binary or source install notes are clear, but for many newcomers to GNU/Linux they might as well be written in Chinese ("GLIBC you can downgrade to an older version by getting the .tar.bz2 file for your architecture" is a pearl of geekspeak)

and the 'I have better uses for my time' is a terrific way to tell them to get lost. (That kind of condescension has even pretty much stopped on Debian mailing lists).

Your application is fantastic; it's just too bad that you don't seem to care for the many linux noobs out there
Old 04-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There are about 30 actively used Linux distributions out there. And about 5% of calibre users use Linux. If you think I am going to spend 30 times the effort on 5% of the users, you have an outsize sense of your own importance.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
Farhad
Zealot

Wow, some reply! First, the vast majority of linux noobs would be using either Ubuntu or Red Hat. That is *TWO* distros. Thus, your multiplication of 5% by 30 is utter nonsense. Second, I never suggested that you personally would do the packaging. It is thus funny to hear you speak about the putatively "outsized sense of my importance".

The argument that 5% of calibre users use Linux is a better one, I suppose. It at least goes to show the importance (or lack thereof) you give to free software. That is, of course, your right. There is just no need to be such a defensive and arrogant prick about it.

Still, calibre is a fantastic application and I am very grateful to you for it. Too bad you are such a jerk yourself.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Here we go with the personal insults again. And let me just point out that calibre packages exist and are in the repositories of all major linux distributions, idiot.

Thread closed.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 04-11-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Closed Thread