Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 04:07 AM   #16
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
I thought it was a very entertaining read. Thanks Jan!

I have a vague complaint that in the middle it bogged down a bit. There was section after the reader knows what's going on, and before things really get going. People are slowly being converted and there are fairly long descriptions of each conversion. I could have done with a few less of those.
Yes, it did... I nearly stopped reading...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #17
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
I think Tom & Cindy should have encased Grimm's remains in cement. With him coming to life, struggling, and drowning nightly, he probably won't decompose enough so that his torso will work loose, float to the surface, and resurrect. The chains may eventually rust out though, so in a year or two or ten he'll be alive again.
I like the cement encasing idea!

I wonder if cremation would have been a permanent solution to the Seth problem.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #18
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
I like the cement encasing idea!

I wonder if cremation would have been a permanent solution to the Seth problem.
Probably not - given the resurrection of the fiery crash victims (eg Galen). I was hoping for something simple, like the Wicked Witch of the West's water or Superman's Kryptonite.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #19
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Question:

In the previous version, Brant and Tom left the kid, Josh, tied up in the house when they steal the car to go rescue Peg. In the revision, I had Brant shoot the kid. Some people feel that killing any child in fiction is crossing a line that shouldn't be crossed. I thought that the killing spoke to Brant's state of mind.

Any thoughts on this?
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:16 AM   #20
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Question:

In the previous version, Brant and Tom left the kid, Josh, tied up in the house when they steal the car to go rescue Peg. In the revision, I had Brant shoot the kid. Some people feel that killing any child in fiction is crossing a line that shouldn't be crossed. I thought that the killing spoke to Brant's state of mind.

Any thoughts on this?
Unfortunately I did not have time to participate in the group reading this month, so I can only give my opinion in general.

I think that in fiction there should be no lines which cannot be crossed.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 02:33 AM   #21
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by lila55 View Post
Unfortunately I did not have time to participate in the group reading this month, so I can only give my opinion in general.

I think that in fiction there should be no lines which cannot be crossed.
Yes, I agree with this, especially since the whole book was about death/awakening...

A lot of other horror fiction have children die one way or another... sometimes gruesomely..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #22
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Question:

Any thoughts on this?
The scene was shocking. I didn't think it crossed any uncrossable line, as this child was no longer a "human child" and the action was necessary and understandable.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Question:

Any thoughts on this?
If you were trying to show that Brant had gone over the edge then it was fine. However, I personally hope that, if the kid was subdued I would have never been able to shoot him... even knowing that he would die once Seth did.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:59 AM   #24
FRKikos
FRKikos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Smile

Quote:
Some people feel that killing any child in fiction is crossing a line that shouldn't be crossed.
Killing a child just just for shocking people is a weak thing to do.
But if it felt right when you write this scene, you shouldn't fear 'hurting' people feelings (IMHO).

It's an horror novel, not teletubbies after all !

And the kid was already dead so ...
FRKikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:20 PM   #25
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I just finished it! I enjoyed it. As others have said it does have a Stephen King flair to it (Seth is kind of like Randall Flagg). I liked getting to know the characters in some depth because it made me care more about the outcome.

One thing I noticed was that this was a low tech book. Aside from Brant's laptop. There was no searching for "Eloise" online or trying to contact help by cell phone.

I was also of the same mind on cremating Seth. His ashes would then be placed in a very small urn which would then be encased on concrete and thrown into either a volcano or the ocean (whichever was handiest).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:40 AM   #26
Cardos
Cardos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Question:

Any thoughts on this?
Heck, George R R Martin had his Fevre Dream vampires kill and feed on a baby, so shooting a kid who was already dead seems tame in comparison, and I'm sure there's far worse out there. I think having him shoot the kid reflected Brant's state of mind at the time well.

I enjoyed the book, and found the inclusion of the shorts at the end of the book a nice little bonus.
Cardos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:29 AM   #27
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
There are a lot of well-worn tropes in this book, but I enjoyed it because the characters had just enough depth to keep it interesting. I also liked the puzzle - how do you defeat a god? He's underwater now, but where will he be in 100 years.

I also like stories that make me think about just how far I can push my own sense of morality. Could I kill my child to bring it back to life? Is it then, still my child? If not, can I kill it again?

The book isn't great literature, but it was a good entertainment.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:37 AM   #28
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just found this thread. I was expecting it to be announced on the home page like the voting was.

At any rate, I thoroughly enjoyed Risen, and will be coming back for some more Strnad in the future. I especially enjoyed the short stories, which I read before reading the novel.

For anyone interested in seeing how Jan Strnad operates in another medium, may I recommend the graphic novel, The Sword of the Atom. It's published by DC, and can be ordered at Amazon. The story opens with Ray Palmer (the Atom) catching his wife in a compromising position with another man and ends in a South American rain forest where he has encountered a hidden society of six-inch tall humanoid descendants of aliens who crash landed on Earth in the distant past. Will he return to his wife, Jean, or will he find a new life and love among the aliens? It was a very enjoyable and suspenseful book.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-26-2010 at 10:43 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:51 AM   #29
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Will he return to his wife, Jean, or will he find a new life and love among the aliens? It was a very enjoyable and suspenseful book.
No question; dump that cheating @#!$. Enjoy some good alien lovin'. Once you go alien you won't go back!
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #30
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I just found this thread. I was expecting it to be announced on the home page like the voting was.
Sorry... I haven't been front paging the discussion threads... perhaps I should.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote