Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #136
sleeplessdave
sleeplessdave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
2.5.3 Screensaver hack help!!

Greetings all,

I desperately need help getting back my beloved screensavers. My old kindle's battery died so I got a replacement today from Amazon. It came with 2.5.3 installed. I've followed the directions here and installed Jailbreak which went how it was described to go, but the screensaver hack fails to update. I'm taking the screensaver hack, installing it in the root directory, updating, and it just fails. Is anyone else having this problem or am I doing something wrong? I'm using the hack at the beginning of this thread for the Kindle DX (non-international). I have over 1700 screensavers (yeah that's nuts) so it's a huge part of the experience for me. Any help would be hugely appreciated. This board seems full of people just like me who love their Kindles so perhaps you can understand my massive screensaver withdrawal pains!

Dave
sleeplessdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #137
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
When you say 'fail', you mean an actual failure of the update process itself (ie. like the jailbreak?), or it just doesn't change anything screensaver-wise after the reboot?

If it's a failure during the update, what error code appears on the bottom left of the screen?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #138
sleeplessdave

error message when trying ss hack for 2.5.3

When it fails to update the error message says U007. Any help/ideas would be hugely appreciated.

Dave
Old 07-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #139
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That means you failed to install the jailbreak hack before.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:54 PM   #140
sleeplessdave

Tried again

Okay, I had installed Jailbreak first like the post laid out and it had gone through the update process and then failed like it was supposed to so i assumed it was on there. Nevertheless, I tried to install it again and it gave me the error code 0003. I tried the screensaver hack again and it gave the same U007 error as before. I'm sorry if I'm just missing something fundamental but I'm really confused as to what I'm doing wrong. I am using the .bin files for the kindle3 (or DX non-international), dropping them in the root directory, and trying to update. I really appreciate that you've been willing to help so far....any other ideas?
Old 07-04-2010, 12:38 AM   #141
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Err, just to be sure, you're doing the update via the Settings Menu, not rebooting your kindle with a custom update*.bin in the usb root? And it's the right *.bin for your device?

The jailbreak should fail with a U006 error if memory serves me. That it fails with another error code means something went wrong...

The U007 error for the ss hack is normal, it's because the jailbreak failed.

Not sure what the 0003 error means though... Try redownloading the zip from the first post, and reuploading the *bin file, maybe it got corrupted somehow...

Also, since it seems to be a very new Kindle, what's the full version tag at the bottom of the Settings page? That's a very long shot, but maybe your Kindle has a newer 2.5.3 build than the one widely available, with this particular jailbreak hole plugged...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-04-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:15 AM   #142
sleeplessdave

The version is, after installing jailbreak the first time (though I didn't note the code since I knew it would fail) is 2.5.3 (490488060). I am doing this through settings, update. I tried the *bin from the first post twice since installing jailbreak and it doesn't even start to update it just immediately fails with the 0003 code and tells me to take note of it and that I might need to contact tech support. I'm not sure what to try since I've tried installing jailbreak (I think it did go through the first time) and the ss hack a few times each now with the same result.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #143
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Huh. We'll have to take a look at the log file, because that's weird...

After an update failure, go to

[HOME] > Any key to bring up the search box > [DEL]
and type
;debugOn
Confirm with [ENTER]
Then the same thing with
;dumpMessages

That should create a logfile somewhere in the documents folder. Attach it here.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #144
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Okay! Fonts v3.2.N & SS v0.5.N out. The first post has been updated

Quickly, what's new:

Fonts:
* It's now update safe. You won't have to uninstall/deactivate it to install official updates!
* There's an autoreboot feature. When you switch fonts, drop a blank 'reboot' file in the linkfonts/ folder, and your Kindle will do a framework restart 15s after unplug, and, bam, new fonts! It's both safer & faster that the previous version, and it should completely workaround the issues people encountered after switching the fonts and not being able to restart the kindle.
* ScreenSavers:
* Same twekas a the fonts hacks (update-safe & autoreboot)
* You can now make the order in which your screensavers will appear random! Just drop a blank 'random' file in the linkss folder and reboot. (or do a framework restart via the autoreboot feature ).

Not that when both the fonts & screenshots hacks are installed, it's the fonts hack's autoreboot which is used. So you'll have to drop the 'reboot' file in linkfonts, not linkss.

And some new font sets that were requested have been posted in one of the first posts.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #145
darthjoey
Enthusiast
darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 - International
To put on these updated hacks, do we need to uninstall the old hacks and install the newest version?
darthjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #146
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, I forgot to copy that here, it's in the first post.

Uninstall the previous fonts and/or ss hack (you can use the latest version uninstallers, it works). Once they're both uninstalled, do a full REBOOT of your Kindle.

And then you can safely install the new version, without ever needing to do a full reboot (hopefully ).
Old 07-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #147
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Ok, thankyou again. More questions. Sorry. Do we need to reinstall first kindle hack - the one that created the window for the SS and font hacks? I didnt use your files to do this but the ones posted a couple of weeks before your font came out. Same with the SS hack, I used the ones that came out before yours. I did use your font hacks though!

Ok, I am not sure about this. Your ss uninstall doesnt work with the earlier ss that clarknova posted. Ok, a tip, you need to update software, not just restart! Hm, that didnt work either. Never thought I'd want to see those dead people again.

Nope, the SS hack doesnt work for me - Copy uninstall K2I ss hack into root directory, eject kindle, update software (says it was successful this time) My screensavers still there, restart, no dead authors.

Last edited by Pushka; 07-04-2010 at 09:56 PM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #148
darthjoey
Enthusiast
darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 - International
How do you make blank files? Like the reboot and random files needed for the newest hacks?
darthjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:53 PM   #149
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Ok, thankyou again. More questions. Sorry. Do we need to reinstall first kindle hack - the one that created the window for the SS and font hacks? I didnt use your files to do this but the ones posted a couple of weeks before your font came out. Same with the SS hack, I used the ones that came out before yours. I did use your font hacks though!

Ok, I am not sure about this. Your ss uninstall doesnt work with the earlier ss that clarknova posted. Ok, a tip, you need to update software, not just restart!
No, you don't need to do anythng about the jailbreak.

And, no, the SS uninstaller probably doesn't handle other SS hacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjoey View Post
How do you make blank files? Like the reboot and random files needed for the newest hacks?
Doesn't matter if they're actually blank or not, they just need to be here (and no file extension). So, I guess, on Windows, copy and rename another of the trigger file should do the trick... Just make sure Windows doesn't add any weird file extension (like .txt ...)
Old 07-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #150
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
No, you don't need to do anythng about the jailbreak.

And, no, the SS uninstaller probably doesn't handle other SS hacks.
OK, I think most people would have used clarknova's ss hacks so they shouldnt use your uninstaller files for the screen saver. But your actual kindle jailbreak is compatible with his? I see that is what you posted in another thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Doesn't matter if they're actually blank or not, they just need to be here (and no file extension). So, I guess, on Windows, copy and rename another of the trigger file should do the trick... Just make sure Windows doesn't add any weird file extension (like .txt ...)
Ok, now I am lost.

Last edited by Pushka; 07-04-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet