Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 02:06 AM   #46
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Don't forget to check out the students responses.
Your post makes a lot of sense. I watched a few of these reviews. The only problem I have with them is that they are posted by Kno themselves. Fair and balanced or what!

I look forward to catching up with some real reviews.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:51 AM   #47
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I think double screen readers are more apt to interact with the content. In the fashion of the Edge, if you click on a hyperlink appearing as a footnote in one research paper, the other screen could display its content (e.g. a website).
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:49 AM   #48
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I read on a 13.3", 4.2lb Tablet PC and it's just on this side of barely tolerable, being hot and heavy on the lap, and quite bulky to shift around. The ipad sold millions although its technical specs are total crap precisely because it was the first sub-2lb tablet. If its weight had increased to 3.5lb then the Tablet PCs would have been superior in every imaginable way. Weight matters.

The same problems were raised with the Edge, regarding size and heft. I certainly have not read any reviews of the Edge that went "oh gee golly I wish this was HUGER and HEAVIER. And the e-ink side is useless, let's make both sides LCD." And the Edge with its better execution is still not hugely popular as far as I can tell.

To each their own of course. However it seems this product has a competitive problem against Tablet PCs which are full featured computers, are lighter, and can run a wider range of programs, faster. Unless it can get in under $500 it will have problems competing. But who knows, it really might be dirt cheap.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #49
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Your post makes a lot of sense. I watched a few of these reviews. The only problem I have with them is that they are posted by Kno themselves. Fair and balanced or what!

I look forward to catching up with some real reviews.
No doubt, if there was a bad responses from a student it would have been cut. The student I linked to brings out some of the points that I like. Such as making notes on the Kno. It probably isn't going to have handwriting recognition. But all of our readers can, and will, be improved upon.

Think of it this way. A student desk really doesn't have to be bigger than the size of a small textbook, does it? Thinking on that now, I remember elementary school desks that were that small.

Do what I did. Look at the (vertical) screen of netbook. Now think of the textbooks you used at school. A 10 inch screen isn't all that big compared to that of many textbooks. In fact, the total square inches are probably less on the 10 inch screen.

They’re 3 keys to using etextbooks in education. Ruggedness. Student usability. And last - those who insist on being the villain - the publishers.

Me? I love the small, and very convenient, size of my reader.

Just not for everything.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #50
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
I read on a 13.3", 4.2lb Tablet PC and it's just on this side of barely tolerable, being hot and heavy on the lap, and quite bulky to shift around. The ipad sold millions although its technical specs are total crap precisely because it was the first sub-2lb tablet. If its weight had increased to 3.5lb then the Tablet PCs would have been superior in every imaginable way. Weight matters.

The same problems were raised with the Edge, regarding size and heft. I certainly have not read any reviews of the Edge that went "oh gee golly I wish this was HUGER and HEAVIER. And the e-ink side is useless, let's make both sides LCD." And the Edge with its better execution is still not hugely popular as far as I can tell.

To each their own of course. However it seems this product has a competitive problem against Tablet PCs which are full featured computers, are lighter, and can run a wider range of programs, faster. Unless it can get in under $500 it will have problems competing. But who knows, it really might be dirt cheap.
"I read on a 13.3", 4.2lb Tablet PC"

Me too. I used the Mobipocket Reader and split the screen into 2 columns. The tablet pc I use has a touch screen and was great to read on. Except, as you say, for the weight.

But it was reading on the tablet that caused me to spend so much money on a ereader.

I disagree on the ipad being "the first sub-2lb tablet". It's a limited MID (mobile internet device). True, many people love it. It is very good looking. It is a status symbol that says "look how cool I am". But it is not a tablet computer except in the technical since.

"And the Edge with its better execution is still not hugely popular as far as I can tell."

None of these large screen devices will ever be "popular". Just as a street sweeper will never be "popular". But for certain jobs a street sweeper is better than a Mercedes. Same thing with these large screen readers.

"Unless it can get in under $500 it will have problems competing. But who knows, it really might be dirt cheap."

"But who knows" is right. The first VCR I ever saw was selling for just under $3,000. My first pathetic computer was over $2,000. And that price had come down $800.

The readers we use today will seem retarded and way over priced in years to come.

The thing to understand is that THIS reader is not competing with our 5 - 6 inch readers.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #51
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:
The ipad sold millions although its technical specs are total crap precisely because it was the first sub-2lb tablet.

I doubt weight had anything to do with most iPad sales. The iPad has sold millions because Apple fan boys/girls will buy anything Jobs puts out regardless of its functionality.

Case in point, I have a friend that is an avid reader and she is also an avid Apple fangirl. She adamantly refuses to consider any desktop, laptop, netbook, or phone unless it has that half eaten apple on it (we've had those discussions before). I was talking to her just after the iPad had been released and she was gushing about the new Apple device she had heard about on the television news; it was a "book reader" and she was going to have to get one. After some discussion it became clear that she had no idea that other book readers existed. She was too enthusiastic about Apple being so innovative and "leading the pack" to listen to anything else, let alone the iPad's deficiencies. I don't think she was atypical of many/most iPad purchasers.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #52
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
I read on a 13.3", 4.2lb Tablet PC and it's just on this side of barely tolerable
Though this is highly individualistic. I have a 17-inch, 7-pound notebook, and wouldn't at all mind a larger screen. This notebook's screen is 8.5x15 inches, which is annoyingly short in landscape mode. I've often thought 9x16 inches would be a good tablet size, and maybe two 9x12 screens if dual.

On weight, some googling suggests textbooks run about four pounds, give or take, so a 5.5 pound unit would easily win out over the two or three textbooks one usually has to lug between classes and between school and home.

I don't think something like this would be inexpensive enough or sturdy enough for schools, but the size and weight aren't terribly out of the realm of reasonable.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #53
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadon View Post
Though this is highly individualistic. I have a 17-inch, 7-pound notebook, and wouldn't at all mind a larger screen. This notebook's screen is 8.5x15 inches, which is annoyingly short in landscape mode. I've often thought 9x16 inches would be a good tablet size, and maybe two 9x12 screens if dual.
The mode of use of a device is simply completely different when you have to write on the screen. In "laptop" mode, all I need is something that doesn't crush my thighs with its incredible mass; but in tablet mode I need to shift it, angle myself, get comfortable, make sure my hand isn't blocking the text and is resting on something comfortable, make sure the viewing angle is good, angle the screen away from overhead lights, ... just a lot of messed up shit you simply wouldn't believe until you've tried it.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:21 AM   #54
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I love this pic:

http://www.engadget.com/photos/kno-press-pics/#3036339

actually, all the pics are awesome.
Thought-bubble text anyone: "Why's she carrying that bar fridge?"
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #55
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
This is far more than a students device. I'm retired but still walk into a small Fire District board meeting every month with a good handful of reports.
I have to skip back and forth between at least two at any time so use a laptop allowing them to all be open during the meeting. It would be great to be able to use one of these and be able to circle items and make quick notations rather than switch to still another app to jot a note.
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #56
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Me too. Looks like our bathroom scale!
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #57
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
These pictures are hilarious.

No, that is WAY bigger than my bathroom scale. I would use it for studying, but not for travel.

Check out this one
http://www.engadget.com/photos/kno-press-pics/#3036342
A bunch of half-naked men running around and the women are deeply engrossed in the Kno....uh...seriously?
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #58
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
its a college campus- half naked idiots running around happens so often they're barely noticed.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #59
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
its a college campus- half naked idiots running around happens so often they're barely noticed.
LOL... I guess. Maybe it's just me but I went to an engineering college in the city and so it wasn't as frat-happy as others. Never saw a single half-naked student running around, which might explain why I actually learned stuff.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #60
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Might I know which is the proportion of those idiots, gender-wise? Depending on that answer, that would make me lean towards the US for my studies, you see.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote