Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Ebooks at CES (pt 4)

In this installment I will cover the hidden and less well known exhibitors.

Irex
Maker of the Iliad and Digital Readers, this company isn't registered as an exhibitor, but does have a booth number on its website. I checked, and the booth belongs to Qualcomm, who I assume provides the 3G chip for the DRs.

Notion Ink
This company just announced a tablet running Android, and has said that it will be on display. I checked, and this company will be in one of the Nvidia booths (there are 3).

Qualcomm
This company was on my list for another reason: Mirasol screen technology. I can't wait to see it.

LiquaVista
This company has more cutting edge screen technology than you can shake a stick at (including epaper).

Popular Mechanics
I know it looks a little strange to have this company on my list, but I have 2 reasons to visit this booth. My original reason was that it was a Hearst magazine and I was going to ask about the rumored ebook reader (this was back before the Skiff announcement). Also, Popular Mechanics has been demoing a new digital magazine concept platform. I want to see it, naturally.

Nexar Technologies
I still don't know if this one is for real, but Nexar has a dual screen netbook in its product listings. I figure it's worth at least a walk by the booth to check it out.

NBC Universal
I confess that I don't know why NBC is coming to CES, but I bet there is a good reason.

Marvell
This is a CPU manufacturer, and it announced a new line of CPUs a couple months back. The CPUs have the epaper screen controller on the same chip. The Entourage Edge is using one.

Netronix
This is a key player in the ebook reader market, so it's something of a puzzle why they're not listed as an exhibitor. But Netronix will be at CES sharing a booth with Team Research, distributors of the Astak EZReader line of ebook reader.

Last edited by Nate the great; 12-28-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
NBC owns Hulu.com, among other things.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Oh, maybe hulu is going to go international after all. (Honestly, i don't think it ever will)

Android tablet mmm ? That have my interest.
Nate still ignoring me ?
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
NBC = Hulu = Roku. Bet there is a new improved flavor of Roku coming out.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Roku ?
Old 12-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Roku is an appliance that one can attach to a television to download content. Netflix, Amazon VOD and Hulu are examples of what can be downloaded. I'm sure it's limited to at least North America probably just the US.

I don't own one but keep an eye on the industry.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Roku is an appliance that one can attach to a television to download content. Netflix, Amazon VOD and Hulu are examples of what can be downloaded. I'm sure it's limited to at least North America probably just the US.

I don't own one but keep an eye on the industry.
Souds pretty cool.
You american have some decent offer for internet TV, I envy you !
Old 12-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
NBC Universal owns / controls / buys / distributes a huge amount of content plated on CES gear. They are there every year as well as other broadcasters / networks. A broadcasters "trade show-in-a-trade show" is one of the joint partners with CES. They are also soon to be 51% owned by Comcast who have a vested interest in CE devices, the distribution system -- and alternatives! -- plus other content plays.A couple of years ago MSNBC did it's nightly news there.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Wow that Mirasol technology does look great - http://www.mirasoldisplays.com/index...technology.php

LCDs need much higher resolutions to become painless to read from so there is room for more technology. I just hope it's not all hype!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #10
MidnightRun
Enthusiast
MidnightRun began at the beginning.

Device: none
What about ICD´s Tablets ? The Ultra and Vega one, running with Tegra also.

ICD HP
MidnightRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:51 AM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightRun View Post
What about ICD´s Tablets ? The Ultra and Vega one, running with Tegra also.

ICD HP
They're not listed as an exhibitor, so I bet they will be in the Nvidia booth.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The ICD Tablet is pretty interesting device. But it will surely cost more than an eink reader and is not optimized for reading. Most unhelpful -- 4 hr battery life.

Provided they reach "critical mass" in time, e-readers can excel as "single purpose" devices in the same way that very basic MP3 players are ideal for jogging and use at the gym or "full feature" digital cameras are more convenient and versatile than a phone for holiday snaps.

There is room for e-reader evolution somewhere in that sub $300 space for a reader's choice" experience that emulates a nice trade paperback while adding font flexibility, multiple formats, modest web interaction, wireless and wifi perhaps, LONG battery life, protected content (and backup), enhanced annotation, enhanced text-to-speech, etc. But the core functionality of pleasurable reading experience must remain bedrock.

My Blackberry can be used as a flashlight -- but I bought it and us it as a phone / sms device which also stands in for email and other tasks like impromptu snaps or quick web hits. My next e-reader (Kindle 2 today) will take e-reading to the next level -- not replace my camera or phone.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
They're not listed as an exhibitor, so I bet they will be in the Nvidia booth.
Yep. That's where they will be.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #14
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Thumbs up Astak at Booth #12640

Dear All:

Astak bought a huge 1200 square foot booth at CES in the Central Hall right next to the eBook Pavilion. Netronix is one of our factories and wanted to get a booth near the pavilion but there were none. They asked if they could utilize half of the Astak booth as a simple matter of economics.

Our other factory, Jinke, will also have a booth at CES... smaller but still very important! They also are near the eBook Pavilion and Astak.

Astak will have major news at CES and will display new devices. I would say Astak should be a "must" on any list! Books On Board will also be at our booth and will be handing out the best coupon offer they have ever had at the Astak booth. This is like 33% off any eBook you purchase with the coupon!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:00 PM   #15
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear All:

Astak bought a huge 1200 square foot booth at CES in the Central Hall right next to the eBook Pavilion. Netronix is one of our factories and wanted to get a booth near the pavilion but there were none. They asked if they could utilize half of the Astak booth as a simple matter of economics.

Our other factory, Jinke, will also have a booth at CES... smaller but still very important! They also are near the eBook Pavilion and Astak.

Astak will have major news at CES and will display new devices. I would say Astak should be a "must" on any list! Books On Board will also be at our booth and will be handing out the best coupon offer they have ever had at the Astak booth. This is like 33% off any eBook you purchase with the coupon!
So, I guess I should wait a week or so before purchasing my first reader. I have been researching since November and the Astak 6" EZ Reader so far seems to lead in meeting my requirements.

Just so you know: I am an IT architect and try to get through at least two books every week. I travel a lot and am tired of lugging them in my briefcase.

Also, a lot of my work involves business process re-engineering and I create a lot of flow charts and save them as PDFs. Also, I create a lot of DOC files (MS Word), PowerPoint presentations and Excel spreadsheets.

What I would like is the ability to carry my documents and books on one device. A touch screen so I can take notes would be great but I can live without it.

Wireless would be great so I can log on to my home or office network and copy documents to my reader. Also, I subscribe a a number of RSS feeds on my iPhone; I would prefer to read them on a reader and sync them through wireless while I wait at the airport. Again, it would be great but I can live without the wireless.

I think what is important to me is the ability to handle a variety of document formats while also being able to read DRM and non-DRM books.

I decided on the Astak 6" EZ Reader because of the wide variety of file types it can handle. I was also considering the Mentor Lite but I don't think it handles as many formats. I may be wrong.

So, having read the above, can I get some recommendations? And, should I wait till CES is over before pulling the trigger?

I am afraid that CES will happen but the new stuff will not be released until the spring or summer. What do you guys think?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote