Notices

Old 01-14-2004, 07:23 PM   #46
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas
You mean pictures included in the original PDF, or any picture? I was never able to convert images from the PDF either, but for JPGs and GIFs it works fine both with add file / from clipboard and through system integration.

If you did not find enough information in the help file - why not to e-mail Raphael, or post here?

Enjoy
Yeah, you're right, I was just being lazy, I'll get in touch with him.

I did mean pictures embedded in pdf files. When it comes to just moving jpgs or gifs, I use HandStory, which is great in this respect. You just right click, then you get a whole host of resizing and other options.
BasilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:58 PM   #47
rsprim
rsprim began at the beginning.

Device: Tungsten T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Nope the great export functionality is new in Acrobat 6.0. We have it here at work and I just tested a few PDF files... the outcome is amazing and I don't have to tell you how much I enjoy reading them with iSilo now
Alexander how are you converting them to read in iSilo? Are you saving them as html and converting them to a .pdb using iSiloX?

Robert
rsprim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2004, 03:20 AM   #48
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Exactly. However, make sure you have installed the full Adobe Acrobat (which is not free); the Adobe Acrobat Reader cannot export to .html (at at least to my knowledge).
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 01:47 PM   #49
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I just stumbled over another "PDF->many formats" convertor.

ABC Amber PDF Converter allows you to convert PDF to any document format (HTML, CHM, RTF, HLP, TXT, DOC, DBF, XML, CSV, XLS, MCW, WPS, SAM, RFT, WS4, WS7, WRI, etc.) easily and quickly. You can export all pages or just selected pages, as plain text or as preview pictures.

Haven't installed it yet; a demo version is available (limited to 30 days + 5 pages export only). Full costs $12.95.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	abcpdf.gif
Views:	772
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	260  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 11:19 PM   #50
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
There is also a graphical Windows frontend for pdfTohtml at http://www.wminds.com/downloads/pdf2htmlgui/
This link appears to be toast. But it has reappeared at http://guiguy.wminds.com/downloads/pdf2htmlgui/. Haven't tried it yet, but I have a couple of pdfs that I'd like to convert. I'll report back.
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2004, 12:28 AM   #51
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm, pdf2html works okay I reckon, but it doesn't perform quite as I'd like. It created <br>'s at the end of each line, and I'd much rather those went away so that the formatting could work itself out a little better. And there's no easy way to pull those out without losing the relevent ones (is there?). Didn't have any images in my document, so no issues there. I also didn't like the horizontal line between each physical page, though those are easy to find/replace away. But hey, it did the job for free. Love that. Now I might have to see if I can get my boss to get us Acrobat 6. Hee hee...
Old 03-16-2004, 12:58 PM   #52
cawinters
cawinters began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X5
I know this is slightly off topic as it doesn't convert to HTML, but I have numerous very large PDFs that were just too large to use with Acrobat Reader on PPC. I converted them with Repligo and it works well. The files are 1/3 the size, contain pics and are well formatted
cawinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 05:17 PM   #53
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Repligo is very nice. I will be registering the PPC version when v2 is released in the next month or so, as it finally does all I want; text selection, searching, and BOOKMARKS!!!

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:50 PM   #54
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
PDF2HTMLgui converts nice. How to get in iSilo doc??

Based on the info above, I tried PDF2HTMLgui. I used it on the Pimlico Datebook5 manual, which is fairly complicated, and has lots of pictures with text around them (screenshots mostly).

It works great using the method I describe in what follows. But as you can see at the bottom of this post, I can't convert it into a nice iSilo document.
Any ideas? (Hope I didn't repeat too much from the rest of the thread... I did read it but too quickly.)

The download I used was at: http://guiguy.wminds.com/downloads/p...lgui/down.html

The idea is that this program is just a gui shell, and the guts are contained in two additional required programs (as indicated on that page) that must also be downloaded:
GhostScript (v8.14) and PDFtoHTML

You need to be sure to grab the windows binary executables, not the source files.

To install, you install ghostscript, and extract PDFtoHTML files into a directory of your choice (that's the command line program). Then extract the gui program .exe into the same directory as the command line program.

When you run it, you'll need to tell it where to find the ghostscript executable. There were two to choose from, and I took the first alphabetically. I think it was without the "c", but I can't remember.

You then give it the source file .pdf location (make sure the directory names are not too long because it will choke if the command line is more than 255 chars, which includes the full path and filename of the source and destination, plus more).

It supplies a candidate destination. You can choose a bunch of options I don't understand, but the key option is the "generate complex document" which is visible as a conversion checkbox after you choose "more options". When I didn't choose it, the conversion was just text and didn't accomplish much for me at all.

The complex option gives me a "framed" page HTML result with index on left side and single pages on the right side, and it looks gorgeous. You might want to choose another folder for the result because there can be a LOT of files.

The conversion went pretty quickly, and was very effective. Note also that the complex option requires the ghostscript executable.

THE REMAINING PROBLEM...
I haven't figured out the remaining trick of getting it into iSilo... when I do a straight conversion of the index page, I thought I'd get a nice document. But all I got was pages with the pictures and separate text. Not pictures on a page with text surrounding it at the right location.

Interestingly, it opens and displays fine with Internet Explorer, but with MS Word, it shows improperly just like in the converted iSilo document.

One would think that the HTML conversion works just like any other iSiloX conversion with images (after all that work to get images in the document, you probably don't want to lose them now!) And I always convert to a memory card destination. But the results were not right.

Help?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:04 AM   #55
ignatz
mechanoholic

Bob, have you had a look at the HTML? There must be something strange in there... Perhaps you can manually edit it?
Old 07-28-2004, 03:03 AM   #56
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Bob, can you attach your html file (perhaps zipped) here?
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 01:27 PM   #57
macrotor
Connoisseur
macrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it is

Device: Tungsten|C with Nokia6200
I have returned from active duty! Whoa, this thread is STILL going? Wow.
First off, pdf2html will never do graphics well for iSilo because it converts all the graphics into a merged background picture with text placed over it. iSilo will either ignore the background, or separate the text from the graphics. Adobe Acrobat is much more intelligent (get what you pay for, I guess).

It's good to be back. Got iSilo 4.1 loaded on my shiny new Tungsten|C! How may I be of service?
macrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 01:28 PM   #58
macrotor
Connoisseur
macrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it is

Device: Tungsten|C with Nokia6200
Yikes, I guess I better change my sig. Got the Tungsten|W. Used the heck out of it. Now using Tungsten|C. Heh.
macrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:57 PM   #59
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
The output of Adobe 6.0 to HTML 3.2 isn't all that it is cracked up to be. Try it on a very complicated PDF, and take a look at the results.

The first page or two might look good, but when you get down to page 300, 500, 800, and later... things get really ugly. It starts to disjoint words, text, reflows paragraphs wrong, and lots of other weird things. It also seems to ignore some graphics in complicated PDF documents, claiming that they are missing required attribute (which I find odd, since Adobe Acrobat created the original PDF in the first place!)

The best approach is to use a combination of tools, and then go in and hand edit the whole thing back again to a usable format for reading on a PDA or handheld device.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 08:09 PM   #60
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
I'm on the verge of registering Repligo 2. It's the best solution to the pdf problem that I've found to date, including Adobe Reader, which is pretty poor.
BasilC is offline   Reply With Quote