Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
dheg
dheg began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Newbie issues

Hi there,

I just started using Calibre, and I think it's great.

However, there are a couple of issues and I can't get them to work:

* I do not get the automatic adding feature to work well yet. It seems that it works fine when I first start Calibre, but it doesn't run anymore later. Is this some kind of scheduled task?

* Same goes for the 'Content Server', it only updates its contents on calibre start-up. Is this expected behaviour?

thanks,
dheg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheg View Post
Hi there,

I just started using Calibre, and I think it's great.

However, there are a couple of issues and I can't get them to work:

* I do not get the automatic adding feature to work well yet. It seems that it works fine when I first start Calibre, but it doesn't run anymore later. Is this some kind of scheduled task?

* Same goes for the 'Content Server', it only updates its contents on calibre start-up. Is this expected behaviour?

thanks,
The Auto Add feature regularly 'Polls' the configured folder.
Maybe your security software is blocking.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
dheg

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The Auto Add feature regularly 'Polls' the configured folder.
Maybe your security software is blocking.
Ok, but if my firewall would block Calibre, it wouldn't auto-add on calibre start up, would it?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have a feeling that calibre looks in the pickup location when it starts. After that it has to be running to see new books, I think that's one reason it has the minimise to tray option.

It probably listens for a file added message for the pick up location, these are sent unconditionally by the OS/File System all a program has to do is to listen for the message - thats how Windows, OS/X etc work - message loops. Surely polling went out with 3270 - didn't it. If it actually polled then I reckon Kovid would have put a setting for 'how often" in the Auto Add Configuration

But that's all guess work - I haven't used the feature for a while.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-28-2013 at 08:19 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I have a feeling that calibre looks in the pickup location when it starts. After that it has to be running to see new books, I think that's one reason it has the minimise to tray option.

It probably listens for a file added message for the pick up location, these are sent unconditionally by the OS/File System all a program has to do is to listen for the message - thats how Windows, OS/X etc work - message loops. Surely polling went out with 3270 - didn't it. If it actually polled then I reckon Kovid would have put a setting for 'how often" in the Auto Add Configuration

But that's all guess work - I haven't used the feature for a while.

BR
AH! 3270's. Those grand old Boat anchors with the Green Screens and block transmission
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
When calibre first starts it scans the auto add folder manually after that it uses whatever file notification infrastructure the OS provides. Presumably file notification for whatever location you have set for auto add does not work. This often happens if the location is on some non-standard filesystem like a non native filesystem, network share, etc.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #7
dheg

I guess some info on my setup would help

I have an ESXi server with several guests / virtual machines. One of them is my unRAID file server. If you don't know unRAID, it's a linux based NAS server OS. My calibre library is in this server, and any file I put in the auto adding folder will get these file permissions: -rw-rw-rw-

Calibre is running in a Win 7 64bit VM, also running 24/7. I never close calibre, it minimizes to the tray.

Should it work with this set up?
Could I try any tests?
Any option to create a scheduled task that will manually scan the auto add folder, similarly to what happens when calibre starts?

Sorry for so many questions...
Old 03-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
What version of unRAID are you using? I am asking as I have 5.0 RC12a on my server so can do some tests if so desired against that release.

Do you have the autoload folder set up as a mapped drive or using a UNS filename (as these might give different results). I tend to use mapped drives on my system.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....rked-drive-nas
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
dheg

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
What version of unRAID are you using? I am asking as I have 5.0 RC12a on my server so can do some tests if so desired against that release.

Do you have the autoload folder set up as a mapped drive or using a UNS filename (as these might give different results). I tend to use mapped drives on my system.
I have RC10.

I have it set up as \\hercules\cache\@downloads\@books\calibre. Would it help to use a mapped drive?

BTW, I've been doing more tests, moving files within the VM in which calibre is installed, but it crashes very often. Where can i check the logs?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
dheg

Further info.

I have tried to reproduce the 'not-auto-adding' issue and I can't. I moved ebooks within the same VM in which calibre is installed, from other VMs in the virtual network (ubuntu and unRAID) and from my desktop (also Win 7 64) connected to the virtual network through a hardware switch, and I can't reproduce it

Another issue, with calibre minimized to the system tray, it has crashed very often while doing all this auto adding tests, but it didn't crash a single time when minimized to the task bar

Are there any logs I can check?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheg View Post
I have RC10.
Any reason you have not moved onto one of the later releases?

Quote:
I have it set up as \\hercules\cache\@downloads\@books\calibre. Would it help to use a mapped drive?
I have no idea - it is just that past experience tells me they might produce different results.

Quote:
BTW, I've been doing more tests, moving files within the VM in which calibre is installed, but it crashes very often. Where can i check the logs?
I am running both the unRAID server and my Windows system natively (not in VM's) and cannot remember when I last had a crash. Having said that although a particular VM might go wrong I would not expect the system as a whole to crash. I have at times run Calibre (for Windows) under VMware Workstation at times as part of testing things and that has seemed to be stable enough. The unRAID syslog is normally RAM based so do not survive a reboot unless you have installed the Powerdown add-on to write it back to the USB drive when closing down.

I looked at using ESXi as a host for unRAID and it looks an attractive way to run it. I actually have my unRAID system set up so that I can boot into ESXi 5.1 as an option but am not running unRAID that way. I found that it appears the motherboard I have set up does not support 'pass-thru' of my SAS controllers under ESXi and I appear to need that to run unRAID easily under ESXi, particularly with disks larger than 2TB. I have been thinking of having another go at getting unRAID working under ESXi using RDM for the disks instead of PassThru as ESXi would be a very desirable way to run unRAID, but have just not found the time.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
dheg

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Any reason you have not moved onto one of the later releases?
I'm not really a RC tester , RC10 looked stable when I went for it since there some talks about making a final (you know what I mean ).

RC11 and RC12, both seemed to have some issues (NFS stale handle, non-compatible NIC driver), but the no-go for me was the issues with SimpleFeatures. Whether is SF or unRAID, I don't really care, I have a pretty stable system right now.

I have an unRAID sandbox with RC11 (that's the beauty of ESXi) and have run some tests, but don't have the time nor the spare hard drives to play with it much.

Quote:
I am running both the unRAID server and my Windows system natively (not in VM's) and cannot remember when I last had a crash. Having said that although a particular VM might go wrong I would not expect the system as a whole to crash.
When I said it crashed, I meant Calibre crashed, all my VM (a total of 5, including unRAID) are pretty stable. They are very good boys, they don't go down unless I told them so

Quote:
I looked at using ESXi as a host for unRAID and it looks an attractive way to run it. I actually have my unRAID system set up so that I can boot into ESXi 5.1 as an option but am not running unRAID that way. I found that it appears the motherboard I have set up does not support 'pass-thru' of my SAS controllers under ESXi and I appear to need that to run unRAID easily under ESXi, particularly with disks larger than 2TB. I have been thinking of having another go at getting unRAID working under ESXi using RDM for the disks instead of PassThru as ESXi would be a very desirable way to run unRAID, but have just not found the time.
It's been expensive, but money very well spent. I run naked unRAID, no plugins other than SF, so apart from stability of my valuable files and system as a whole, it's also pretty easy to update.

If you go for it, RDM is a pain and it kind of kills the easiness of having unRAID virtualized, but off course you need a vtd compatible MB.
I have an M1015 flashed to IT, and a RES2SV240 intel expander for a total of 24 drives running from a single PCI slot (only using 8 at the moment). A drive dies, or I need to expand my array, and it's a walk in the park.

Look in the unRAID forums, in you haven't done so already, for the Atlas thread by jonhm. Really useful stuff there. And I'm sure, if you are in this forum, you won't mind reading the whole thread
Old 03-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #14
itimpi
Wizard

I've read up all the stuff on ESXi for unRAID and have practical experience of ESXi in commercial environments. Although it would be nice to use ESXi for unRAID it is not really that important - certainly not enough to change my unRAID server (currently using 20 drives + cache)
Old 03-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #15
dheg

going back to my question, where can I check calibre logs to find out why it's crashing?