Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
ZippPress
ZippPress began at the beginning.

Device: none
Error Code Message

Hi I'm working on my first epub and I have a working cookbook that originated out of InDesign CS6. When I go to validate it through idpf epub validator I get this code.
'toc_marker-3': fragment identifier is not defined in 'OEBPS/129660-3_HighAltBaking-epub-7.xhtml'

I'm not a code geek and I could really use your help. I've tried to figure out what this means for days with no luck. I'm so frustrated.
Can you please help me!!!
thanks so much
ZippPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
I think that somewhere (e.g., in the TOC) there is a link to an anchor "toc_marker-3" which should be in OEBPS/129660-3_HighAltBaking-epub-7.xhtml, but it is not there.

The real problem is that InDesign is NOT designed for producing eBooks, hence you might want to consider switching to another tool. Meanwhile, go complain with Adobe for their crappy export-to-EPUB stuff.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It is as Alpe says. You may have eliminated it, thinking it was unessential, but there is a reference to it. It is easy to do if you have eliminated a lot of extra page numbers and so on to create an epub, but there were references to things you eliminated. You can simply search for the reference in the TOC and eliminate it there, and it won't be an error any more. But it won't be a link anymore either, if you wanted one. You will have to put in the link again yourself.

Sigil works very well for this kind of cleanup and it is free and getting better and better all the time.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
ZippPress

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. What other tool would you use for e book export?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
ZippPress

But Sigil won't validate for Amazon will it?
Old 03-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippPress View Post
But Sigil won't validate for Amazon will it?
Once you have the ePub looking the way you want and it's all valid, run it through Kindlegen and then use Kindlepreviewer to see how it look as KF8 and Mobi. If it looks OK, it's good to go for Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippPress View Post
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. What other tool would you use for e book export?
I work directly on the (XHTML/XML) source code, with Vim and a linux shell.

However, since you start from an InDesign document, one of the following three workflows might be fine:

1) Export the document to EPUB, use Sigil to check/edit, validate.

2) Export the document to DOC/DOCX, import in LibreOffice/OpenOffice, fine-tune it, use Writer2EPUB to convert it to EPUB, use Sigil to check/edit, validate.

3) Start from scratch in Sigil, copy text from InDesign, set titles, styles, etc., generate the final EPUB, validate.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
error code, first ebook, help please