Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
Mary Pooh
Mary Pooh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Request: Automatic Adding without deleting original

I use Calibre with Ubuntu 12.04. With Adobe Digital Editions via WINE.

I have configured Calibre to automatically add e-books that appear in the Digital Editions folder. While the movement in to Calibre works fine, when returning to Digital Editions the books are still in the ADE library but this time with complaints that files are missing. I then have to manually delete each ghost e-book.

I know it may seem a little fussy, but it'd be nice if I could use Automatic Adding and choose to have a copy in both the Calibre library and within Digital Editions.

My request is that you make it Automatic Adding's default behaviour to leave the original in place. A delete option alongside for those who want it.

Thanks for considering my request.

Mary Pooh
Mary Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Pooh View Post
I use Calibre with Ubuntu 12.04. With Adobe Digital Editions via WINE.

I have configured Calibre to automatically add e-books that appear in the Digital Editions folder. While the movement in to Calibre works fine, when returning to Digital Editions the books are still in the ADE library but this time with complaints that files are missing. I then have to manually delete each ghost e-book.

I know it may seem a little fussy, but it'd be nice if I could use Automatic Adding and choose to have a copy in both the Calibre library and within Digital Editions.

My request is that you make it Automatic Adding's default behaviour to leave the original in place. A delete option alongside for those who want it.

Thanks for considering my request.

Mary Pooh
Won't work because anything in that folder will be added. Deleting stops it from being added again.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
Mary Pooh

Yes, of course, you're right. I really hadn't thought it through, had I? All that bother registering just to make a fool of myself. I'll just add DRM book manually.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi Mary Pooh,

I use XP so I am not sure how Ubuntu works. I created a separate folder which I "copy" new eBooks into that I want Calibre to import. That way my original is still intact. Just make sure to update the link to this new folder in Calibre so it doesn't continue to go to the ADE folder.

Since I get eBooks from a variety of places and keep them in folders by Store/site it is just easier to have one location for Calibre to import from.

Welcome to Mobileread!

Karen
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, of course, you're right. I really hadn't thought it through, had I? All that bother registering just to make a fool of myself. I'll just add DRM book manually.
Welcome to MR
You can hang around even if you don't have a problem

Lots of good tips and stuff happens all the time.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Mary Pooh

Hang on a mo'

Hang on a moment.

When I add stuff manually I have on occasion tried to add books that are already in the database. Calibre has detected the similarities and asked me if I want to continue. So why couldn't Automatic-Adding have options to retain the original and to automatically ignore stuff it has already added?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Hang on a moment.

When I add stuff manually I have on occasion tried to add books that are already in the database. Calibre has detected the similarities and asked me if I want to continue. So why couldn't Automatic-Adding have options to retain the original and to automatically ignore stuff it has already added?
It does
Preferences: Adding Books: The automerge tick has options -> (pulldown list)
Old 12-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Mary Pooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It does
Preferences: Adding Books: The automerge tick has options -> (pulldown list)
But surely that only applies to books that have been added manually. What I'm wondering is why there can't be an option in the Automatic-Adding tab that will instruct Calibre to add books automatically but without deleting the originals and also ignoring anything that has been previously added.

I know I'm a bear of little brain, but I think I have a point. Or I'm about to embarrass myself yet again.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Or I'm about to embarrass myself yet again.
I don't think so. Only Kovid can answer the question. I had assumed other rules still applied
Old 12-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Because maintaining a list of already added books means storing state. Which means the automatic adding process becomes state dependent and therefore unpredictable. I have answered this question before, a little googling is in order.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote