Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #31
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
It's pretty telling that I wrote what I thought was a fairly calm and detailed explanation of the problem in my review, including the part where I said I would update the review if I ever get a non-defective unit, and within 60 seconds it was marked by someone as "Not helpful". Heh.
I was shocked when the opposite happened to my review. I warned about the screens but I also said nice things about Kindle CS. Still I expected to get, and still expect to get, a lot of "Not helpful" remarks.

I wonder how many of the reviews are by actual owners? There was a time when Amazon reviews would get riddled by reviewers who never owned the product being reviewed. You could get either kind--good reviews from those who liked what they saw in the ads, bad reviews from those who had a competing product but never did a side by side comparison. The Best Buy reviews were even worse.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #32
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I apologize if the previous statement was offensive to some, it was meant as an analogy not as an attack on beliefs.
No problem - it's a forum and stuff is easily misunderstood.
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #33
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzmc View Post
No problem - it's a forum and stuff is easily misunderstood.
Yeah, and I'm really bad about in essence saying, "Listen to what I think I'm saying in my mind, not what I'm actually saying in a very poorly worded kind of way."
Old 10-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #34
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
I apparently got a non-defective unit. My PW has no splotches or hues. I can see the shadows between the LED castings, but they're not pronounced enough to be distracting (YMMV). I am disappointed that Amazon's product photos don't show the shadows. I think a lot of the backlash against the PW stems from the disparity between Amazon's idealized screen images and the PW's screen in the real world.

But I'll risk the fanboy epithet and say that I love the PW. Amazon misrepresented the screen, but I still don't see a compelling alternative. I don't like the aspect ratio of the GlowLight, I don't like the grey background of previous e-ink Kindles, I don't like the unresponsiveness of the Fire, I don't like the weight of the iPad-which I use in other context, but not for extended handheld reading. Even though the sidelighting doen't distribute light as evenly as Amazon would like us to believe, it's still much more even than an externally attached light, and without the glare.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #35
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
I think the bad reviews due to not knowing the specs are more than compensated for by the reviews from folks who will take whatever they are given and be happy with it. They believe the hype. Though this doesn't apply to most of the good reviews, there are enough of them to counter the bad reviews submitted because people do not read the specs.
I'm not quite sure why you continue to insult satisfied PW owners. We are not "folks who will take whatever they are given and be happy with it" and we are not dummies who feed Amazon with dollars just because of the hype.

As difficult as it may be for you to accept, there are happy PW owners. Just look at the recent MR poll which asked if we were happy with the screen. I agree it's a small sampling but 76% said yes (73 yes, 23 no).

I'm really sorry it didn't work out for you, but that is no reason to continually disparage those without problems.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #36
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
To be fair, he's already apologized multiple times.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #37
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
Now I'm very worried. Since its not available in Canada, I bought one and had it shipped to a friend of my parents place in Buffalo. Don't have it yet, but if it has problems I will have to ship it back to Amazon from Canada and then have them ship back to Buffalo. What a pain. Fingers crossed that mine will be one of the good ones!
Have them open it up before sending it to you. One of my replacements does not even turn on. At least if it is that bad, they can send it back for you.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #38
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
Don't forget amazon offers the one year warranty...

Everyone acts like its thirty days to fix a defect or nothing, when in fact they have one year.

Personally, the blotch is live able for me, and I like the pw otherwise. I'm hoping in a few months amazon will get their stuff together and I can return it as a defective unit.
That's because, if I get a replacement later, it will be somebody else's that was returned and then repaired. I paid for a new unit, not for a refurbished one. I need for my new unit to be great out of the box.

Last edited by xendula; 10-10-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #39
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
Don't forget amazon offers the one year warranty...

Everyone acts like its thirty days to fix a defect or nothing, when in fact they have one year.

Personally, the blotch is live able for me, and I like the pw otherwise. I'm hoping in a few months amazon will get their stuff together and I can return it as a defective unit.
If you want to request a refund it is 30 days. So you have to at least get an exchange to keep that option alive beyond that.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #40
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
I hope the unit I am about to get delivered to a colleagues house in the US is fine. Having him bring it to Germany and then having to send it back would be a PITA.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I apologize if the previous statement was offensive to some, it was meant as an analogy not as an attack on beliefs. And there was nothing in it about all good reviews coming from "mindless people," only some of them fit that category, so don't read more into that than is there. I reworded that comment to read:
I didn't find anything offensive in that statement, nor did I see it as an attack against satisfied PW owners. You clearly meant the extremes at both ends and that's how I read it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #42
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
I hope the unit I am about to get delivered to a colleagues house in the US is fine. Having him bring it to Germany and then having to send it back would be a PITA.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy, make sure you have your colleague open the box and check that the unit at least turns on.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #43
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I haven't bought a Paperwhite, but this thread intrigued me enough to read some of the reviews. I found an image and comment by Christian Stella that Amazon really needs to take notice of. Apparently when you display your books by covers, you also get a section of bestsellers, often erotica. What were they thinking? Kids will be using these also. Read the caption under the image which contains the Steve Jobs book.

Code:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/customer-gallery/A3NKZH4M5I23ML/ref=cm_aya_bb_lists
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #44
scheife
Book Designer
scheife began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
That is too bad. I was just thinking of taking the leap and getting a new Kindle. That screen looks horrid!
scheife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #45
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Thumbs down Err. so. no. bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycurlylocks View Post
I haven't bought a Paperwhite, but this thread intrigued me enough to read some of the reviews. I found an image and comment by Christian Stella that Amazon really needs to take notice of. Apparently when you display your books by covers, you also get a section of bestsellers, often erotica. What were they thinking? Kids will be using these also. Read the caption under the image which contains the Steve Jobs book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...m_aya_bb_lists
erotica pic http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51UTnHZWvsL.jpg

um. yeah. that's not okay.

I just recommended one of these to a person with small children who read and will in all probability end up with the device.

Even if you can/oneday limit this via "Baby Settings" (or w/e the name might be), still odd that they inject marketing in your views... oh wait. no, it isn't

Re: Work, That would be NSFW at "best" and argument inducing at worst.
Re: Home, Nuddy pictures splashing up rarely end up in great endings...

Err. so. no. bad idea.

Also that contrast picture is shocking. looking at my Touch and KK side-by-side I would say the touch is actually better for "black" blacks but the lighter background could be affecting my judgement.

gmail looks near identical on both, the Touch takes it by a hair I would guess.

Thanks for the great (well, terrible) pics.

Last edited by twobob; 10-11-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51UTnHZWvsL.jpg
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote