Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
PDF -printed size vs screen size

Can anybody try to print a page of a PDF and then take a picture of the printed page side by side with M92 showing the same page (let's say with the margins cut when on ereder)

That would be the best way to show potential buyers what to expect when they buy this device.

thanks
PF
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Can anybody try to print a page of a PDF and then take a picture of the printed page side by side with M92 showing the same page (let's say with the margins cut when on ereder)

That would be the best way to show potential buyers what to expect when they buy this device.

thanks
PF
Well, a you know, there are all kind of formats and fonts and designs. You would need at least 10 examples ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Not sure what you meant but as long as it is the same page on both "devices" I don't see where the problem is. This is to have an idea about how much the document gets resized on eInk compared with its paper version, no matter what the format is.
Let's not forget that all the PDFs (eh, most of them) should be created for printing ..that was the original purpose of this format
Old 02-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
Here you are.
Light is quite bad, I will try to do in weekend some more photos with natural light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8354-2.jpg
Views:	985
Size:	467.7 KB
ID:	82627   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8356-2.jpg
Views:	935
Size:	439.7 KB
ID:	82628  
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
PF4Mobile
Guru

That second picture shows almost the same size on both sides (in fact bigger size on ereader). The page that you selected is complex enough to show the worst case

Thanks a lot

in fact for me the die has been cast. The ereader is on its way
This pictures will help prospective buyers to decide

PS: if you find time to do this again try to either position the camera on the comon edge of the two "devices" . Not sure if you used a tripod for this... that would also help
I suspect you used auto focus and in the first image the paper is in focus while the ereader screen is slightly out of focus

Thanks again

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 02-16-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
catharsis
Addict

I took the pictures in a hurry. I had just my 50mm, so I had to climb on a chair to get both. I think I used manual focus on first and auto on second, but at f1.8 which means low depth of field. Saturday I can produce better pictures
Old 02-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
I took the pictures in a hurry. I had just my 50mm, so I had to climb on a chair to get both. I think I used manual focus on first and auto on second, but at f1.8 which means low depth of field. Saturday I can produce better pictures
No rush

For those who want to go crazy more test pictures here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...44#post1968344

I am curious to see if JetBookColor users will accept the challenge

Guys don't get me wrong, I would really like to buy a Color eInk reader. Here I am just building the case for it. When I present o my wife the case of one more ereader it has to be rock solid!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
PF4Mobile
Guru

I just realized that the size of the document that catharsis showed is A4
I will post the same for letter paper when I get my M92.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:37 AM   #9
catharsis
Addict

Well, yes. In Europe it's difficult to find letter size paper Do you need better pictures, though?
Old 02-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
PF4Mobile
Guru

Only if you have time and if you think that they can add more info. For me it is OK. Now I understand what I can expect. Looks promising.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
catharsis
Addict

Here are better pictures. Last 2 pictures are a zoom of M92 and paper with the same camera settings (exposure, iso, diaphragm, white balance was set to auto, that's why M92 seems greenish and paper purple-ish) so you could make a better comparison between the two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8365.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	534.5 KB
ID:	82764   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8372.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	483.5 KB
ID:	82765   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8383.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	458.9 KB
ID:	82766   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8386.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	530.3 KB
ID:	82767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8391.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	533.1 KB
ID:	82768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8393.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	628.8 KB
ID:	82769  
Old 02-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #12
PF4Mobile
Guru

Thanks a lot!
Would you mind sharing that PDF page that you used ?
I was thinking about adding that page to the test files for JetBook Color and ask the owners of JetBookColor (thanks again andyh!) if they would be kind again to take similar pictures but with your file this time.

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 02-19-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
PF4Mobile
Guru

One comment here (not specific to Onyx M92 but specific to 10" ereaders): since I am reading lots of PDFs these days I just that the full size PDF (either letter or A4) present both a challage and an advantage.
The advantage is that in case of diagrams or anything that requires you to go back and forth on the same text in order to understand it, in these situations a bigger paper format is an advantage
The disadvantage is built in within the very advantage indicated above: a bigger page makes the text reading more difficult since your eye sight has to go back and forth to follow the text line.
If you can take a little bit smaller font then the resizing done by the rendering process of any 10" display becomes an advantage because this makes the lines shorter

I believe that the only reason why the technical manuals do not use smaller paper format (where they can be) is because that format does not exist. That is an intresting question. What factors led to the standard sizes we all use today.

We now what the modern roads have to do with roman chariots :-)
Old 02-20-2012, 01:46 AM   #14
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Thanks a lot!
Would you mind sharing that PDF page that you used ?
I was thinking about adding that page to the test files for JetBook Color and ask the owners of JetBookColor (thanks again andyh!) if they would be kind again to take similar pictures but with your file this time.
The interesting thing is where the page down button takes you in landscape mode ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:14 AM   #15
catharsis
Addict

The document I used is from here, see second page: http://people.ccmr.cornell.edu/~gins...NFO295/vit.pdf Actually, the lines in the diagram are colored, so that would be shown on color reader