Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
rutgurt
Enthusiast
rutgurt began at the beginning.

Device: none
VPN in Fire settings?

I will be using my Kindle Fire overseas and would like access to Amazon's prime features, such as streaming videos. I don't think i will be able to do that without using a VPN from USA.

Can someone who actually has a Kindle verify as to whether there is a way to connect through a VPN with the Fire?
rutgurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
rutgurt
Enthusiast

bump. Could someone please reply to this? Just skim the connection settings or whatever, and see if you can find anything that could possibly be used to connect to a VPN
Old 11-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
VPN requires client software which is almost certainly not present on the Fire. The only solution is probably router-based VPN where you get a router that acts as a VPN client so that any wireless client connected to it uses the VPN.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
*Please, does anyone actually know the answer to this?

I need to start trying to connect also.
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Kindle Fire doesn't support VPN. Your options are:
1) using a router-based VPN
2) rooting it and hacking the VPN in (I'm sure that it can be done, but I don't have specific instructions for it)
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
**CAUTION: You need to really really be careful, read the instructions over and over again and go slowly if you are not sure of what to do:

Okay, my *excellent* VPN provider has confirmed the following:
"Amazon will prevent any attempt to establish a VPN connection on Kindle Fire. However, you can use a VPN enabled router to trick Fire.

In order to configure your router for HMA Pro VPN, you need to flash it with DD-WRT firmware.

You can check if your router supports this @ http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

How to install the DD-WRT firmare: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation."

AGAIN - I'm definitely going to go slowly here, as if you mess up, you will BRICK your router!
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
boukhecha
boukhecha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I have my DDWRT router VPN connected but still unable to get it work for Kindle. It is strange that when I check my ip-address in PC with cable connected to router, it shows a US location. However, in Fire or other Wifi devices, it still showing my Hong Kong ip-address.

my setting are:
Router(1) PPPoE to ISP
Router(2) VPN to a US VPN server
Fire Wifi connected to Router(2) .... this shows Hong Kong ip location
PC cable connected to Router(2) .... this shows a US ip location

Anyone succesfully connect the Kindle via VPN??

Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
**CAUTION: You need to really really be careful, read the instructions over and over again and go slowly if you are not sure of what to do:

Okay, my *excellent* VPN provider has confirmed the following:
"Amazon will prevent any attempt to establish a VPN connection on Kindle Fire. However, you can use a VPN enabled router to trick Fire.

In order to configure your router for HMA Pro VPN, you need to flash it with DD-WRT firmware.

You can check if your router supports this @ http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

How to install the DD-WRT firmare: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation."

AGAIN - I'm definitely going to go slowly here, as if you mess up, you will BRICK your router!
boukhecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
radiator
radiator began at the beginning.

Device: Fire
Do you have a Macbook Pro running Lion that has VPN? and...
Do you have the ability to connect your Macbook to a "wired" internet connection using a network cable?

If so, you can turn your MacBook Pro's AirPort into a Wifi Hotspot, where every device connected to the Hotspot would go through the VPN.

I do this now in China, where I can connect my iPhone to Twitter and Facebook without using VPN configuration on the iPhone.

So, based on what I know, I figure I can still use my Kindle Fire overseas.

Last edited by radiator; 12-02-2011 at 11:54 AM.
radiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:56 AM   #9
rutgurt
Enthusiast

nope, any way i can do this with a PC?

Or, is there a way to turn my iPhone 4 into a hotspot that uses the Wifi router and not the 3G connection? Then I could turn VPN on in my iphone
Old 12-09-2011, 01:26 AM   #10
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
You will need to change the wireless settings to Static and then modify the DNS settings. I have done this successfully. Try unblock-us.com Works a treat and you dont need to touch your router. I now run my PC and Iconia and Fire on these settings and there is no degradation to speed.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #11
serendip
serendip began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
kindle fire vpn

i have a US vpn option set up on my network through a dedicated ddwrt router. i am told that this broadcasts a "US" wifi signal and all devices will be regarding as accessing a US network. i haven't set up a kindle yet *under the tree...) but i spoke to the firm that supplied the router and they say kindle works with it. haven't got around the US credit card problem yet mind you but i gatherecan buy gift card from non US amazon site and and redeem it on US site ?
serendip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:26 PM   #12
Michael81
Michael81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by serendip View Post
haven't got around the US credit card problem yet mind you but i gatherecan buy gift card from non US amazon site and and redeem it on US site ?
Based on thisthread you don't need US credit card. European based Visas cards work just fine. Or they should be, though. I'm yet to try. Waiting for my new Fire to arrive

Will let you know the outcome.
Michael81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
liaonet
liaonet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Got prime video working on my Kindle Fire in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgurt View Post
I will be using my Kindle Fire overseas and would like access to Amazon's prime features, such as streaming videos. I don't think i will be able to do that without using a VPN from USA.

Can someone who actually has a Kindle verify as to whether there is a way to connect through a VPN with the Fire?
You are so right there is no von support on the fire and rooting it does not help.

I tried hacking my router and using hide my ass.com but the fire did not like it even though my Mac works fine.

After many frustrating days and wasted cash I came across these guys;
http://www.unblock-us.com/

It works an absolute treat and is super simple to setup on the Kindle Fire.

I used the free trial and immediately bought a years subscription.

The only drawback is that you need to manually input your il address and dns settings

as their service works by a clever dns server trick.

This is definitely the way to go.

I will try setiing my whole network dns to point to their dns servers later so I can switch the kindle back to using dhcp but till then it works perfectly. :-)

Undoubtedly the best solution.
liaonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by liaonet View Post
You are so right there is no von support on the fire and rooting it does not help.

I tried hacking my router and using hide my ass.com but the fire did not like it even though my Mac works fine.

The only drawback is that you need to manually input your il address and dns settings

I will try setiing my whole network dns to point to their dns servers later so I can switch the kindle back to using dhcp but till then it works perfectly. :-)

This looks interesting, and I kind of wish I was taking a trip out of the country to test if it would work. Is there anything different about setting it up on the Fire that doesn't appear on the Android Set-up page? http://support.unblock-us.com/custom...rticles/291571
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #15
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by liaonet View Post

Could have saved yourself a lot of frustration if you had read my post above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
You will need to change the wireless settings to Static and then modify the DNS settings. I have done this successfully. Try unblock-us.com Works a treat and you dont need to touch your router. I now run my PC and Iconia and Fire on these settings and there is no degradation to speed.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote