Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
jmorton
Connoisseur
jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jmorton has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Comparative contrast

Is there any empirical data on the comparative contrast between the words and the screen background on the various readers? I've read that the new Sony Reader has better contrast than the older model, but how much better? Is it possible to compare the displays with a densitometer or something? I'd be curious to how the various devices fare in this test. Does anyone have solid information on which (ePaper) display has the best contrast? I have a Sony Reader PRS-500, and as much as I like it, I'd like it a lot more if the background were closer to actual white paper in appearance.

Jim
jmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton View Post
Is there any empirical data on the comparative contrast between the words and the screen background on the various readers? I've read that the new Sony Reader has better contrast than the older model, but how much better? Is it possible to compare the displays with a densitometer or something? I'd be curious to how the various devices fare in this test. Does anyone have solid information on which (ePaper) display has the best contrast? I have a Sony Reader PRS-500, and as much as I like it, I'd like it a lot more if the background were closer to actual white paper in appearance.

Jim
Nobody's done a test like this.

However, may I point out that the older eInk devices all pretty much use the same older display and the newer ones all use the, newer, Vizplex display. As both these are from the same OEM source, you're not going to get much (shouldn't have *ANY*) difference between retail sources for Vizplex-based eInk readers. And I'm quite positive I read *somewhere* that PVI is working on creating a newer generation of eInk displays (available by late 2008/early 2009) that will be even closer to a white paper background - although I have both the PRS500 and the Cybook Gen3 and I'd equate the PRS500 to the gray of a really crappy Trade Paperback text while the Cybook is closer to the color of a good-quality newspaper page.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:20 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The older screens reflect about 35% of ambient light, the VizPlex screens about 40%. ie the VizPlex screens appear about 15% "brighter" than the older ones. It may not sound much, but it's a very definite visual improvement.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:24 AM   #4
mocelet
Connoisseur
mocelet began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Palm Vx / Nokia E65
There is an interesting post over on the iRex blog (http://i-to-i.irexnet.com/2007/11/09...ays-different/) which discusses how the iLiad is different from other eink screens, but promises a comparison of the current iLiad screen, and a prototype VizPlex iLiad screen, so there might be some good comapariative data soon.
mocelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:35 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocelet View Post
There is an interesting post over on the iRex blog (http://i-to-i.irexnet.com/2007/11/09...ays-different/) which discusses how the iLiad is different from other eink screens, but promises a comparison of the current iLiad screen, and a prototype VizPlex iLiad screen, so there might be some good comapariative data soon.
Visually, I'd put the iLiad screen on a par with the VizPlex screens. The iLiad (or at least my iLiad) has a dramatically better screen than my older Sony PRS500.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:41 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm enjoying reading with my 505 more then I did with my 500. That is due to the better contrast the Vizplex screen gives. It's not due to any other changes made in the 505 vs the 500. I was very well used to how the 500 handled and didn't have a problem with it. Vizplex screen don't fade in sunlight and they don't need as mch light to read with.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The older screens reflect about 35% of ambient light, the VizPlex screens about 40%. ie the VizPlex screens appear about 15% "brighter" than the older ones. It may not sound much, but it's a very definite visual improvement.
Brightness and contrast are two different things. I do not dispute you view that it is a visual improvement but interestingly the specs for e-ink original said the contrast was 8:1 and for the visiplex is is 7:1 so maybe the black isn't as black or something. iLiad is seen by people to be as good with the old screen so there may be more differences that we think that influences this.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #8
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
On the 505 the blacks are definitely darker, in addition to the background being lighter.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
On the 505 the blacks are definitely darker, in addition to the background being lighter.
Interesting. Maybe the original e-Ink specs lied and the revision was only to make the spec more accurate. I wonder how we can measure the contrast ratio?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:18 AM   #10
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
There is more to it, than just specs. iRex seems to have managed a technology, which allows for waveform specifically made for certain eink batches. Those seem to result in much better contrats than standard waveforms.

Then, there seems to be some degredation of the eink screen after a few weeks of usage.

And there seem do be differences in contrast depending on the eink batch.

And there could be production steps which influence the contrast.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote