Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Auto-shutdown app?

Hi All,

I don't know a thing about Android, so this may be a silly question... Is there an app somewhere that I could use to program my HTC Tattoo to shut down automatically at night? I really miss that functionality of my old Siemens dumbphone.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
joelong
joelong began at the beginning.

Device: None yet
Check out MusicSleep. It's available in the android market.
joelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:50 AM   #3
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelong View Post
Check out MusicSleep. It's available in the android market.
Thanks, I will.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:09 AM   #4
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Had a look at musicsleep, but the very succinct description I found does not mention shutdown. It just says you can program the music to stop, but since I don't listen to music on my phone I don't need to stop it

I found another one on the same site, called CT scheduler that looks more likely, but it says that shutdown requires a rooted phone. What's a rooted phone, is that something like jailbreaking?
Old 10-06-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
What's a rooted phone?
Android runs over a Linux kernel, and the root user in Linux is a system administrator or superuser with a full set of privileges. It is fairly easy to "root" most Android devices with tools to be found on sites like http://forum.xda-developers.com
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Android runs over a Linux kernel, and the root user in Linux is a system administrator or superuser with a full set of privileges. It is fairly easy to "root" most Android devices with tools to be found on sites like http://forum.xda-developers.com
OK, thanks, I'll have a look.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
And root on the tatoo can get you unlocked market
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Hi All,

I don't know a thing about Android, so this may be a silly question... Is there an app somewhere that I could use to program my HTC Tattoo to shut down automatically at night? I really miss that functionality of my old Siemens dumbphone.
I use the free version of Juice Defender to maximize battery life, but I think with the paid version you have lots of choices about what you want the phone to do, and when. I'm pretty sure that disabling everything at night is one of the choices. If you google it you should be able to find out more info, but I've been very happy with it.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #9
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I use the free version of Juice Defender to maximize battery life, but I think with the paid version you have lots of choices about what you want the phone to do, and when. I'm pretty sure that disabling everything at night is one of the choices. If you google it you should be able to find out more info, but I've been very happy with it.
Thanks, this sounds like a useful app, I'll look it up.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
The Tasker (app) might be able to shut down your phone.

Rooting, like jailbreaking, voids your warranty and while its mostly safe you can mess up your phone if you mess with vital system files.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:48 AM   #11
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catire View Post
The Tasker (app) might be able to shut down your phone.

Rooting, like jailbreaking, voids your warranty and while its mostly safe you can mess up your phone if you mess with vital system files.
Thank you for the info. I'm not sure I am motivated enough to learn and apply how to root my phone. I hardly use it anyway. But I'll look up the Tasker.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I doesn't help you particular situation Florence, but on my DroidX there are "night mode" settings....I've really not used them though....

Sorry for being no help what-so-ever.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #13
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

That's OK Kenny

Maybe I have a night mode on my Tattoo, though I haven't found it yet...
Old 10-13-2010, 06:53 AM   #14
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Night Mode settings on the Droid X will disable Data Delivery for the specified time, but Voice services aren't interrupted. Being an "old folk", mine is set from 9 pm until 6 am...
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:00 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yeah we geriatric Droid X users gotta stick together.

Maybe we should start a club.

Oh and Welcome aboard MR!

Last edited by kennyc; 10-13-2010 at 07:22 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote