Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Wife wants to buy iPod touch

She aims to substitute her iPod and Treo 650.
Why not I answered.

Check if you can connect it to an external keyboard.

And look for those applications (or equivalent) that you use on the Treo, Calendar, a good database (she uses SmartList), SplashId, Documents.

She might eventually become an ebook fan like me.

Can you help with some inside knowledge and tips, please?
Thank you in advance. If she is succesful, I might abandon my beloved Treo 650.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Hi Beppe,

your wife should probably wait with getting an iPod touch until around September.
There are a lot of rumors right now, but historically Apple has a iPod event in September displaying their newest creations.
Its very much possible that a new iPod touch will see the light of day then.

Its also very possible that this iPad touch will be based on the current iPhone 4.

Unless its very urgent to get this iPod right now I would wait. If the rumors are true you would get a much better device ....
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
The iPod touch is not a phone, so I fail to see how it would replace a Treo650. But, for sure it would do all the functions (other than phone) and more. Tons of apps to do just about anything, a good reader, if you can handle the small (larger than Treo) screen.

If you want to fully replace the Treo, an iPhone would be a better choice.

If you don't care about the phone part, the iPad (though not as portable) is better at reading, surfing...etc.... iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad all have great reading software from several companies. There is the Kindle, Borders, Stanza, eReader, B&N, iBooks, Goodreader and more apps available.

Just some quick thought off the top of my head
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
The iPod touch is not a phone, so I fail to see how it would replace a Treo650. But, for sure it would do all the functions (other than phone) and more. Tons of apps to do just about anything, a good reader, if you can handle the small (larger than Treo) screen.

If you want to fully replace the Treo, an iPhone would be a better choice.

If you don't care about the phone part, the iPad (though not as portable) is better at reading, surfing...etc.... iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad all have great reading software from several companies. There is the Kindle, Borders, Stanza, eReader, B&N, iBooks, Goodreader and more apps available.

Just some quick thought off the top of my head
Thank you for your kind reply. It is long time that we do not use our Treos as phones. For phones we use just phones. But we use Treos for all other functions. iPad is out of the question. She is aiming iPod touch and that's it. It is just that an external keyboard allows better entering of all sort of information than a small virtual one.

Thank you again.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
Hi Beppe,

your wife should probably wait with getting an iPod touch until around September.
There are a lot of rumors right now, but historically Apple has a iPod event in September displaying their newest creations.
Its very much possible that a new iPod touch will see the light of day then.

Its also very possible that this iPad touch will be based on the current iPhone 4.

Unless its very urgent to get this iPod right now I would wait. If the rumors are true you would get a much better device ....
What a useful answer.

You are obviously married, and like me a believer in postponement.
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
dwharrison
Info Geek
dwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
It is just that an external keyboard allows better entering of all sort of information than a small virtual one.
If you install iOS4 on an iPod Touch, you can use the Apple Bluetooth keyboad with it.

Having said that, I would strongly suggest waiting for September if at all possible as new models are almost certainly just two months away.
dwharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I highly recommend the iPod Touch. We have three of them in our household. I concur with those who say it's probably a good thing to wait a couple months if you can.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
If the rumors are true, the new Touch will have a camera. 'bout time I think.

I have a 2G Touch and if they're looking to me to upgrade, a camera and video recording will do it.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:24 AM   #9
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwharrison View Post
If you install iOS4 on an iPod Touch, you can use the Apple Bluetooth keyboad with it.

Having said that, I would strongly suggest waiting for September if at all possible as new models are almost certainly just two months away.
That is what I was waiting to learn. Great news for her.

BTW, I told her to wait for the next model. Her reactions were a pleasure to watch and listen to. She will probably get one before the end of the week.

Thank you guys.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:03 AM   #10
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
>BTW, I told her to wait for the next model. Her reactions were a pleasure to
>watch and listen to. She will probably get one before the end of the week.

When the new model comes out she will probably ask you why you have not asked her to wait ....

BTW I am not married .....
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #11
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
>BTW, I told her to wait for the next model. Her reactions were a pleasure to
>watch and listen to. She will probably get one before the end of the week.

When the new model comes out she will probably ask you why you have not asked her to wait ....

BTW I am not married .....
I just talked to her on the phone: she is buying it right now. She said that this model is well stabilized and the new one will take few issues to be stable again. What will happen is that she gets hers, when the new model arrives I will get it and she will switch with me. A win win situation.

For me is useful to have an external keyboard for data base and similar stuff.

It was nice visiting with you Apple guys. I just found out that a couple of colleagues have got an iPad, so I might come back in this nice forum if my envy overcomes my prudence.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:06 AM   #12
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
If the rumors are true, the new Touch will have a camera. 'bout time I think.

I have a 2G Touch and if they're looking to me to upgrade, a camera and video recording will do it.
It was confirmed to my wife. There will be a camera.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
dwharrison
Info Geek
dwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
It was confirmed to my wife. There will be a camera.
Uh, no. Rumour was repeated to your wife. There have been no official announcements at this point. Anyone who would truly know what, if anything, will be announced this September will be under a Nondisclosure Agreement and would therefore not say.

There's a statement that reflects this: "Those who know, can't say, and those who say, can't know".

I DO think a camera is highly likely, if for no other reason then for spreading Facetime beyond the IPhone 4. Still, it's worth keeping in mind that this time LAST year, it was widely expected that the iPod Touch would get a camera in September 2009, and it didn't.

Last edited by dwharrison; 07-22-2010 at 08:33 AM.
dwharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:43 PM   #14
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
As long as we're engaging in wild speculation, I speculate that they will release the iPad Mini, and call it the iBook.

Also @OP, you should plan on buying an iPhone in a year or two. Almost everyone I know who bought an iPod Touch moved up to an iPhone when their contract expired if they could afford it.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #15
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
As long as we're engaging in wild speculation, I speculate that they will release the iPad Mini, and call it the iBook.

Also @OP, you should plan on buying an iPhone in a year or two. Almost everyone I know who bought an iPod Touch moved up to an iPhone when their contract expired if they could afford it.
An "iPad Mini" would be a great idea. Not for me, I need the iPad size, but I bet would sell well.

Amen to the iPod Touch to iPhone paradigm... I fought it, and I fought it hard, but it happened to me almost 2 years ago....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote