Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-14-2018, 11:39 PM   #1891
FalconFour
FalconFour began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7th Gen
God almighty, please help me. I can't make sense of all this madness! I have spent hours on this, so many tabs open I can't see their icons anymore, at the end of my rope, and when I thought I had a jailbreak done, I upgraded to 5.8.2 manually... which went OK... but still, absolutely no signs of jailbreak are visible anywhere in the UI. Including KUAL. It doesn't show up in the Library. Nothing does.

I just bought what I believe to be known as a "Kindle 7th Generation". It's an E-ink touchscreen that looks near identical to the Paperwhite 3, but it is apparently NOT.

This so-called "Kindle 7th Generation" (for the love of god can you please use model numbers, not names, like WP63GW???) comes up nowhere. It is NOT the same as the Paperwhite (DP75SDI). Amazon has a 10-mile list of these model numbers/names... https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201263790

Nobody mentions this "Kindle 7th Generation", and beyond that - there are multiple ways of saying "7th generation" (e.g. 7th gen Paperwhite?!). So I can't tell what's going on and I'm just going nuts.

Does this, or does this not, work, on the "Kindle 7th Generation WP63GW" now running 5.8.2 (previously 5.6.5, previously 5.4.x)?
FalconFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:09 AM   #1892
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconFour View Post
I just bought what I believe to be known as a "Kindle 7th Generation". It's an E-ink touchscreen that looks near identical to the Paperwhite 3, but it is apparently NOT.

This so-called "Kindle 7th Generation" (for the love of god can you please use model numbers, not names, like WP63GW???) comes up nowhere. It is NOT the same as the Paperwhite (DP75SDI). Amazon has a 10-mile list of these model numbers/names... https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201263790

Nobody mentions this "Kindle 7th Generation", and beyond that - there are multiple ways of saying "7th generation" (e.g. 7th gen Paperwhite?!). So I can't tell what's going on and I'm just going nuts.

Does this, or does this not, work, on the "Kindle 7th Generation WP63GW" now running 5.8.2 (previously 5.6.5, previously 5.4.x)?
Please see Serial Number Nicknames to identify.

That said, should work. You need to copy the KUAL-2.azw2 to the documents folder (I forgot the exact name but the archive should have a 1, a 2 and an update.bin, the 2 is the one you need). If KUAL doesn't run/show up, perhaps the device is not jailbroken? Maybe just try jailbreaking again.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 03-15-2018 at 12:16 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #1893
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
- - - -
This so-called "Kindle 7th Generation"
(for the love of god can you please use model numbers, not names, like WP63GW???) comes up nowhere.
We do.
You just don't know where to find the model number (that is known to the firmware - not the one(s) known to the Sales and Marketing department).
We don't sell them here, we make software add-ins, so we use the same model number as the Amazon firmware does.

That model number is encoded in the first 4 (or 6) characters of the device's serial number.
You find that in the "Device Info" panel under the "Settings" menu.

Quote:

The (encoded) model number (described above) to human usable nickname table is here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
You need to be searching for "KT2" in our forum and our Wiki.

The top of the index page has a sticky section.
That is where important threads live.
If you had looked in that section, and used the first post of the one with the "Where do I start" in its title, you could have avoided the frustrations.

Note: To get anything of any use out of this site, you must read the directions.

Now, your question - - -
All of our after-market add-ins are introduced in a "release thread" (like this one for KUAL).
The first (and sometimes the second) post of the thread gives you the description of the add-in.

And in the first post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUAL introduction post
Moreover, it's universal! It'll run on (pretty much) anything, as long as it's running FW >= 2.3! With a particular caveat on the KT2/KV/PW3, where some early firmware versions won't let you run it... And a fun twist on the KOA/KT3, more on that later...
Does your device run firmware more recent than 2.3?
Can you now answer your own question?

Last edited by knc1; 03-15-2018 at 08:57 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #1894
FalconFour
FalconFour began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7th Gen
Very useful! And yes, I'm very good at reading... however, saying "it'll work on anything except {completely obsolete version}" doesn't help a whole lot. I've read that it's basically impossible to detect if your device is jailbroken, which in conjunction with ambiguously installed JB functions (run this thing and if your screen flashes, try the update!). Then there's the ;fc-cache method, but after attempting that once (on 5.6.5) and it said "succeeded", then I went to apply the update patch, which failed... again, back to the "did it work? I can't tell!" issue. Every time after that, doing the page and ";fc-cache" as instructed in the title bar would not progress... it'd just keep telling me to "search ;fc-cache" until eventually it'll time out and say it "failed". So I went for that main-htmlviewer method earlier (now on 5.8.something).

Like I said, I can read... it's just, there's hundred-page threads, outdated OPs, and never once had I ever seen (nor had a Google hit for, nor mention in any post) that wonderfully useful, astounding, incredibly useful serial number-to-marketing name adapter Wiki page.

Now with that page, I shall march onwards through the slog of forum posts, thankful for your assistance!

Hilarious update: my Kindle auto-updated to 5.9.4 overnight... aaaand... guess what? KUAL magically appeared in my Library, while it wasn't before. Happiness and glee for automatic updates!

Sad update: and "Application Error: The specified application could not be started. Please try again". Maybe because of the auto-update breaking JB somehow? Off for more digging...

Happy update! I used the update file posted here, and "KUAL" shows up (along side a "Kindle Launcher" that still doesn't work), and KUAL works! Woohoo! Knowing to Google "KT2" helped a lot.

Last edited by FalconFour; 03-15-2018 at 05:36 PM.
FalconFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #1895
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1) There is a test package to test if the jail break (a single, 256 byte, signature certificate) is present.
It is attached to the first post of the current jail break and is also available in the first post of "NiLuJe's snapshots" thread.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877

A thought to keep in mind:
Quote:
Originally Posted by current jail break
None of our add-ins are protected across updates, you must always re-install them.
It is also contained in the KOA2 jail break directions.
http://knetconnect.com/koa2/KOA2_Jai...gicparlabel-57

2) The "ghost" image of the document format of KUAL is a known problem, I am working on a way to remove it. Meanwhile, it does no harm.

Now that you have updated to 5.9.x.y.z firmware series - you must use the booklet version of KUAL. It is in the same archive as the other two document versions.

3) There is a general purpose, "big hammer", fix nearly anything about the jail break and its survival code, package in coplate's snapshots thread. It does not require MrPI to install, you can use UYK or just re-boot into its install.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...68&postcount=4
(coplate made special packaging for these "rescue" packages so that they do not require MrPI, but the packaging also over-rides the "model lock" protection)

Many of the things related to the installation and maintenance of the jail break are catagorized as "tools".
Use the prefix filter drop down box to select "tools", click "show threads".
That will give you a shorter list of thread titles to look through.

Note:
This forum software restricts edits of posts to the owner (original poster) and the forum moderators.
We do not have any active forum moderators.
Plus, many of the original authors have moved on to other things (or died in some cases).
So the out-dated information in thread posts must remain - since nobody here can fix it.
Note 2: The site owners/administrators have ignored our requests to have an alive, active, member assigned as moderator.

= = = = =

The above is part of the reasons I am moving the things I write to off-site locations, locations where they can be maintained.
(and you don't need a fancy ad-blocker just to read them)
Old 03-24-2018, 08:07 AM   #1896
quyptit
quyptit began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2016) WiFi
My Kindle Paperwhite (G090G105...) is version 5.9.4.

I used to install KUAL before, but after it update automatically several times, I cann't open KUAL now, it said "Application error..."

I tried to copy the \extensions\MRInstaller folder (from Snapshots of NiLuJe's hacks) to replace the one in my Kindle, then copy Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7.2_install.bin to mrpackages folder in order to reinstall KUAL by ";log mrpi" but nothing happened.

I just need to use the Screensaver hack. What should I do now? Please give me some instructions!
quyptit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:41 AM   #1897
knc1
Going Viral

post the MrPI log file.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:29 AM   #1898
Gryzor
Enthusiast
Gryzor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Same here, ran ";log mrpi', got the "hush, litle baby..." text, then nothing. KUAL appears in the search results but I get an Application error.

Where can I find the log file? I don't seem to be able to find it...

[EDIT] Oh wait, just did the process again and it worked! Weird...

Last edited by Gryzor; 03-25-2018 at 04:40 AM.
Gryzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:45 AM   #1899
quyptit

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
post the MrPI log file.
I cannot find the log file, nothing appears in the \extensions\MRInstaller\log folder. Does that mean I lose the jailbreak?
I also try to run dummy test but nothing appears.

[Update] Oh, I remember that I formatted my Kindle once because of virus infection. Maybe that's the reason the jailbreak was lost. What should I do to bring it back?
My Kindle Paperwhite (G090G105...) is version 5.9.4.

Last edited by quyptit; 03-27-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:38 AM   #1900
knc1
Going Viral

How did you format your Kindle?
Did you force it to format itself or did you do it with an external program?
Please give the entire set of things you did, in the order that you did them.

PS: There is no "virus infection" that affects the Kindle, you could not have had one.
You where trying to fix something that could not have been broken.

Last edited by knc1; 03-27-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #1901
quyptit

Quote:
How did you format your Kindle?
Did you force it to format itself or did you do it with an external program?
Please give the entire set of things you did, in the order that you did them.

PS: There is no "virus infection" that affects the Kindle, you could not have had one.
You where trying to fix something that could not have been broken.
I know the Linux OS is virus-free. But when I connect my kindle to a public laptop to charge it, it was affected by a virus which tried to hide all my files/documents in Kindle folder. After that, I connected my Kindle to a clean laptop to scan the virus and format all the Kindle folder.

I didn't format/reset the OS, just the Kindle USB folder.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:03 AM   #1902
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by quyptit View Post
I know the Linux OS is virus-free. But when I connect my kindle to a public laptop to charge it, it was affected by a virus which tried to hide all my files/documents in Kindle folder. After that, I connected my Kindle to a clean laptop to scan the virus and format all the Kindle folder.

I didn't format/reset the OS, just the Kindle USB folder.
So don't do that, carry a charger of some sort or don't stay away from home for more than a month.

It was probably the public laptop that was failing to list the contents of the USB storage, not a fault of anything on the Kindle's storage.
(Your external PC does not read from the Kindle's storage, the Kindle's kernel does that and then repeats it to the external PC. So what you claim can not happen.)

If you did not force the Kindle to reformat the USB storage, you screwed it up.
It has some special format options not normally available in a Windows format application.

======

None of the above could effect your jail break.
Install:
(That is a special package build, you do not need MrPI to install it. Just put at top level of visible USB storage and use UYK menu entry.)

Then re-install all of our add-ins.
Remember that on 5.9.4 you must use the booklet version of KUAL.
The document version of KUAL may leave a 'ghost' image behind after you remove the document. It does no harm, ignore it for now, we will release something to get rid of it someday, RSN.
Old 03-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #1903
quyptit

Quote:
So don't do that, carry a charger of some sort or don't stay away from home for more than a month.

It was probably the public laptop that was failing to list the contents of the USB storage, not a fault of anything on the Kindle's storage.
(Your external PC does not read from the Kindle's storage, the Kindle's kernel does that and then repeats it to the external PC. So what you claim can not happen.)

If you did not force the Kindle to reformat the USB storage, you screwed it up.
It has some special format options not normally available in a Windows format application.

======

None of the above could effect your jail break.
Install:
(That is a special package build, you do not need MrPI to install it. Just put at top level of visible USB storage and use UYK menu entry.)

Then re-install all of our add-ins.
Remember that on 5.9.4 you must use the booklet version of KUAL.
The document version of KUAL may leave a 'ghost' image behind after you remove the document. It does no harm, ignore it for now, we will release something to get rid of it someday, RSN.
Please correct me if I'm wrong!
I don't know what "UYK term" means, so I just try copy the file Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_nomax_install.bin to the root folder of my kindle and choose "Update kindle" from the Setting menu, It then restart and show an update error:"Update error: 007. The update was not successful. .."
Old 03-27-2018, 11:46 AM   #1904
knc1
Going Viral

Update Your Kindle

That error message means you have let the device install an Amazon update since you "fixed" its USB storage.

You do not have a jail break installed.
Welcome to using a stock Kindle.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #1905
quyptit

Quote:
Update Your Kindle

That error message means you have let the device install an Amazon update since you "fixed" its USB storage.

You do not have a jail break installed.
Welcome to using a stock Kindle.
Oh, that means I lost the jail-break completely and cannot get it back.
Thank you for your enthusiatic support anyway.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified