Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 04:27 AM   #1
zeb
Connoisseur
zeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with others

Device: none
3G or not 3G, that is the question!

Hi,

I am interested in the Kindle 3, not only because of the price, but also because you can now annotate PDFs. Hopefully, the Kindle SDK will allow applications that support ePub format in the future, but that is not a big issue for me.

However, I was wondering if I should acquire the 3G model or stick to the Wi-Fi only? I live in the UK in a big city and have usually access to Wi-Fi. I plan to use only non-DRM files (for various reasons: by principle ; I do not support the idea that I could not be able to read my books in the future ; I use Calibre on Linux). Is the 3G really useful in that case? Or could I only save the money to get the cover?

Also, is it possible to share annotations with others with the Wi-Fi only? Or is it only with the 3G version?

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited by zeb; 09-01-2010 at 04:32 AM.
zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:33 AM   #2
grzzly
Enthusiast
grzzly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quite honestly, I don't see much point in 3G at all. Since I have my Kindle I haven't had the Wifi on once. Oh yeah, once to try it out, then it went off again.

It really depends on your usage. If you want to subscribe to newspapers and other small pieces of text appearing frequently such as blogs then maybe 3G makes sense, but if you only read books, then how often does it happen that you finish a book on the road - unforeseen - and desperately need internet to buy a new one? Get some free books as spares onto your Kindle in that case

Just my point of view. I could even do without the Wifi if I needed to.
grzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 04:38 AM   #3
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
I had exactly this debate myself, I ordered the wifi only version and thought I would never need 3G, trouble was I never felt easy about it, so I ended up cancelling and getting the 3G. I would rather have it now than need it later on and not have the option. I know I will use it round a few peoples houses who don't have wifi, even if its just to demo it for them..........

I debated for days over it, but in the end thought I'd rather spend and extra £40 now than need to repurchase at £149 later as I wanted it.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:45 AM   #4
matt314159
Groupie
matt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheesematt314159 can extract oil from cheese

Device: KSO, NookColor (CM7.1), Samsung Mesmerize
On the morning of the day the preorders became available, I put my order in for the wifi only version. But then I got to thinking about it, and the new webkit-based browser, and it started gnawing at me, only $50 more and I can have free cellular internet for life on it. Not a bad proposition. I'm the kind of guy who likes to stay in touch and this will come in handy in a pinch. I have a touch pro 2 through sprint, which is great for what it is, but the k3's screen is much easier to read, so for stuff like blogs and whatnot, it's handy.

That said, if the browser on it isn't appealing to you, and you strictly want to read books and documents on it, I'd say the wifi would be more than sufficient. With free document delivery you can set up RSS feeds at the likes of kindlereader, so you can take your blogs on the go. Or Calibre can package and send the same kind of content to be delivered via wifi.

I'd say it's a combination of how much a difference $50 means to you, for me it was just at the price point where I didn't mind paying it. if it had been, say, $75 more, I probably would have opted for wifi only. But since I use the browser a lot the 3g will pay for itself in no time.
matt314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:23 AM   #5
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
OP you can share annotations with the wifi only model too so no worries there. It simply means that if you're not in an area with wifi, you won't be able to buy/download books or browse the web. If that doesn't bother you then wifi is the way to go.

I got the 3G because we often stay with my sister-in-law who doesn't have an Internet connection and by taking my old Kindle with 3G meant I could still get to my favourite mobile websites.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb View Post
Hi,

I am interested in the Kindle 3, not only because of the price, but also because you can now annotate PDFs. Hopefully, the Kindle SDK will allow applications that support ePub format in the future, but that is not a big issue for me.

However, I was wondering if I should acquire the 3G model or stick to the Wi-Fi only? I live in the UK in a big city and have usually access to Wi-Fi. I plan to use only non-DRM files (for various reasons: by principle ; I do not support the idea that I could not be able to read my books in the future ; I use Calibre on Linux). Is the 3G really useful in that case? Or could I only save the money to get the cover?

Also, is it possible to share annotations with others with the Wi-Fi only? Or is it only with the 3G version?

Thanks for your advice.
I'd make two comments:

1. Annotation or not, the 6" Kindle is still perhaps the poorest of any reader on the market when it comes to PDF handling in that it doesn't support any kind of reflow. This makes it essentially impossible to use for reading PDF files formatted for an A4 or Letter-sized page. If PDFs are important to you, there are far, far better reading devices available.

2. As far as 3G is concerned, I take the view that the £40 price difference between is the WiFi and 3G models in the UK is worth paying. 3G is not only handy for buying books, but also for lots of other things too. I take my Kindle away with me on holiday, and find (to name but one example) the ability to look up information about the places I'm visiting to be very handy. It's not wasted money - when you come to sell your Kindle, the fact that it's a 3G model will certainly add significant value to it. I'd recommend buying the 3G version if you do decide to buy a Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:52 AM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
As far as 3G is concerned, I take the view that the £40 price difference between is the WiFi and 3G models in the UK is worth paying. 3G is not only handy for buying books, but also for lots of other things too. I take my Kindle away with me on holiday, and find (to name but one example) the ability to look up information about the places I'm visiting to be very handy. It's not wasted money - when you come to sell your Kindle, the fact that it's a 3G model will certainly add significant value to it. I'd recommend buying the 3G version if you do decide to buy a Kindle.
Yes I must admit, a small part of me is wishing I got the 3G now, but I was trying to spend the minimum, so didn't
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:32 AM   #8
zeb
Connoisseur
zeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with others

Device: none
Many thanks for all your advice.

A question about roaming: I travel a lot to France. Is the 3G free in all the EU with the UK model? How does that work outside of the country where you buy the Kindle?
zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, it's free everywhere.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote