Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Mobile Sites

Notices

Old 04-29-2003, 07:47 PM   #1
volcanopele
Connoisseur
volcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it is

Device: Clie NR70V
Weather Channel Not Updated

The forecasts for the Wireless version of the weather channel site have not been updated since Thursday. This appears to be the case for several areas around the country.

Which is the better alternative from the WCC, Accuweather or Weather Underground?
Old 04-29-2003, 08:37 PM   #2
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Re: Weather Channel Not Updated

Quote:
Originally posted by volcanopele
Which is the better alternative from the WCC, Accuweather or Weather Underground?
Only you can answer that! Try them both...I like wunderground myself, but it is a personal thing. Accuweather does give a radar map. Look at this link I did for HandStory clip (iSilo looks similar) and scroll down in the thread to see a screen capture of Accuweather:

http://www.turcic.com/forums/showthr...=&threadid=358

Wunderground gives a little more info, and a lot of misc. data you may/may not want. But again, load them both for a few days and see which one you prefer.

Cheers,
Gary
Advert
Old 05-23-2003, 04:25 AM   #3
ziehensack9
ziehensack9 began at the beginning.

Device: NR70V
can anyone tell me how to change the city on the weather channel? It's set for Frankfurt but I'd like Vienna.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:27 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Try using the search feature on this board. It reveals you the following link: http://www.turcic.com/forums/showthr...ht=weather.com

Greets!
Old 05-23-2003, 04:28 AM   #5
ziehensack9

forget that, it's really not updated since the 24th April! Can't get Accu or Wunder to work either though!
Advert
Old 05-23-2003, 04:38 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Accuweather only supports US weather forecasts. So no good for you.

Wunderground works for you though. For instance, if you want to see the forecast for Vienna (nice town btw), use the following link:

http://printer.wunderground.com/auto...ons/11035.html

To find an overview of all available weather stations in Austria, go to

http://printer.wunderground.com/auto...global/OS.html

and select the station that you want.

PS: All you have to do is paste the new url into the existing Wunderground entry in the WCC list.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:41 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Btw, the new *updated* Weather.com channel can be found in the new links section!
Old 05-23-2003, 04:49 AM   #8
ziehensack9

thanks for the info about Wunderground, I'll try it out.

I like the weather channel because it's the one I used with AvantGo but I can't access the new links section!
Old 05-23-2003, 04:52 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

The new links section is access restricted from now on. Check your private messages.

In general, it is easy to gain access to everything here. Simply participate and you will be upgraded
Old 05-23-2003, 04:56 AM   #10
ziehensack9

ok, I'll do my best! And thanks.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:56 AM   #11
johnsoax
Connoisseur
johnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it is

Device: TT3(Home)&Dell x50(Work)
Here is the email exchange that I have gotten from the Weatherchannel

Original Message
-------------------------

The channel doesn't seem to have been updated since April 24th. Is this
going to be updated in the future, or are you discontinueing the
service?

Replay to Original Message
----------------------------------
Hello,

Thank you for contacting The Weather Channel and weather.com!

I'm very sorry to tell you that as of April 1, 2003 - - The Weather
Channel was removed from the AvantGo platform. Due to incompatible
business models, our contract was not renewed and we were removed from
the platform.

We would appreciate you letting AvantGo know that you liked our weather
application and would like to see us back on their platform. If enough
AvantGo customers complain, perhaps we could be a part of their platform
in the future.

We do have other PDA partners that offer our weather. The services are
slightly different from what we offered on AvantGo, but, pretty
exciting. Please visit our Web site for more details
at:http://www.weather.com/services/pda/index.html

Your interest in weather.com is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Wireless Weather Support Team
The Weather Channel/weather.com
Live By It!
5/7/03

My Reply Follows:
-------------------------

Well the channel that I used with Plucker stopped updating on your
webpage
on April 24th. The link is here.
http://wireless.weather.com/avantgo/...dway_arpt.html Why
did
you stop updateing this?

Their Reply
-----------------

Hello Mr. Johnson,

Interesting. I've never heard of Plucker. I don't know what that
is....At any rate - if you look at the URL you were accessing - - you
can see that was an AvantGo URL.

Again, we discontinued our relationship with AvantGo as of April 1,
2003. If Plucker was some offshoot of AvantGo - - then that is probably
why that no longer works as well.

We do not have an agreement with any company or device called Plucker -
-so actually - - Plucker has no rights to redistribute our weather.

Again, you can still get our weather on your PDA via our other PDA
partners. Please visit the URL I gave you for those details. But
otherwise, you cannot get information via Avantgo anymore.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Wireless Weather Support Team
The Weather Channel/weather.com
Live By It!
5/9/03

To which I replied
---------------------------------

Plucker is an open source web parser, it downloads webpages into a file so that you can then read them on your Palm. www.plkr.org When there is a mobile channel for AvantGo it is easier to grab it than try to wade through an ad laden webpage.

And I havn't gotten a response.

I've tried Accuweather, but it won't write the output file and doesn't give me any errors.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:53 PM   #12
volcanopele
Connoisseur
volcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it isvolcanopele knows what time it is

Why don't they just create a regular mobile website? I am sure creating one for wireless PDAs would also work for those of us clipping via Plucker or iSilo. By the looks of the link they provided you, they are using mostly subscription services to provide mobile content rather than just having an open link.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:03 PM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Actually I am surprised that they are so customer-friendly as to reply to emails. Very sympathetic!

There is a new, working Weather.com channel in the New Links section btw.

Greets
Alex
Old 05-29-2003, 07:09 PM   #14
volcanopele
Connoisseur

thanks, I will check that out as soon I can access the thread
Old 05-29-2003, 10:52 PM   #15
jreifsnydr
jreifsnydr began at the beginning.

I would also like to learn how to get the Weather Channel (again) ... that's one that I used to download every day. But I'm shut out of the New Links section right now, too.

Can anyone tell me just how much participation on these boards is necessary in order to gain access? Is it enought to just periodically join in on some conversation (like this?), or do we need to think up new discussion topics and start new threads?