Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-15-2018, 11:47 AM   #1
johnelle
Zealot
johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle app on Samsung Tab
Rebuilding from Scratch

So I thought my library DB was being backed up but of course now that the disk crashed, its missing from the backup. The books are all on the NAS and I shared the DB file amongst 3 computers.

While I am doing the recovery I was going do the rebuild of the DB on one of the other computers that has Calibre. When I start up it asks me for a directory to put a new db. I gave it an empty directory but it just shuts down. Tried this twice. Can't get it to start up.

I am guessing there is some settings file I need to edit somewhere?
johnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:53 AM   #2
johnelle
Zealot
johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle app on Samsung Tab
Was hoping for a little help

Just to be clear I am not rebuilding to the original location because that is on a share and the machine is broken. I am trying to rebuild on a computer that has a working version of Calibre and its currently pointing at the (offline) share db.

I want to rebuild the db on that machine not in its original location. The book/library directory structure is on a NAS. Only the db was stored on a local machine for performance.

So how can I tell Calibre to not use the db it knows about but build a new one locally?
johnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2018, 07:01 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I dont really understand what your issue is, since the number of things you could have done to arrive in this state is nearly infinite, but, here's how to reset everything.

1) Remove any calibre environment variables

2) Remove the calibre configuration directory. Reboot your computer.

3) Copy your old library folder off the NAS and on to a local hard disk

4) Delete the metadata.db file from that folder, if it exists

5) Start calibre from the command prompt as

calibre.exe --with-library "C:/path/to/your/library folder/from/step/3"

6) You will get am empty library

7) Right click the calibre logo icon on the claibre toolbar and choose library maintenance->Rebuild database
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Shares HAVE NEVER been supported (or recommended) for a calibre library.
Copy the library to a Local drive (Typ C: )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote