Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 06-17-2017, 12:44 AM   #1
HendelTBD
HendelTBD began at the beginning.

Device: iOS
Calibre 3 / Marvin / OPDS

Cross-posting this because I'm not sure if it could be some kind of incompatibility on the Marvin side with the new major revision of Calibre?

Installed Calibre 3 on my Mac, got the content server up and running, can browse the web interface and successfully download a book. I can also access the content server via OPDS in Marvin on my iOS devices (within my LAN), and view the book list.

But when I try to add the same book to Marvin using OPDS that I was able to download from the web interface, it seems to begin (a rapldly incrementing percentage counter appears briefly) but then almost immediately shows "Cancelled". The book never appears in Marvin.

I routinely pulled books from OPDS with Marvin with Calibre 2.x. Could be a problem on Marvin's side, I suppose? Don't know where to begin troubleshooting this.
HendelTBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:48 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Hmmm. Marvin hasn't changed. Calibre has. I think it is probably on the Calibre side. Good news is Kovid is really fast at correcting known bugs...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2017, 01:46 AM   #3
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Hmmm. Marvin hasn't changed. Calibre has. I think it is probably on the Calibre side. Good news is Kovid is really fast at correcting known bugs...
I have also installed Calibre 3.0, which was released on June 16. The new Calibre Content Server works great with my favorite reading app, MapleRead (v1.7), in both OPDS and HTML modes.

Thus, it seems more likely that the bug is on the side of Marvin.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:52 AM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looking into this a little more...

One of the big changes made in version Calibre 3 was the OPDS Content Server. There is even some comment on the "what's new" that there may be some broken bits with backwards compatibility. Sooo...I'd give it a week (Kovid usually releases Calibre updates on Friday).

It MAY be that it is not a Calibre "bug" at all, and just the new way that Calibre Server works...although I kinda doubt it. OPDS is a standard way of allowing info to pass and I wouldn't think a Calibre update would intentionally break that.

Good news though, the new Calibre Content Server does seem to add a bunch of new functionality that I, for one, have been looking forward to!!
Old 06-17-2017, 01:59 AM   #5
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
I have also installed Calibre 3.0, which was released on June 16. The new Calibre Content Server works great with my favorite reading app, MapleRead (v1.7), in both OPDS and HTML modes.

Thus, it seems more likely that the bug is on the side of Marvin.
Possibly...but it would seem very strange for a program that is working just fine for quite a while to spontaneously develop a "bug" when it hasn't changed. While a new version with many BIG changes was made in Calibre.....

If you aren't seeing any issues, then it may just be that the OP needs to make some adjustments to the way the new Content server is set up??

In any case, I would think this question is better answered in the Calibre forum as Marvin hasn't changed, thus Marvin users wouldn't know what to change to fix the previous not changing. lol Plus cross posting is frowned upon in MR.
Advert
Old 06-17-2017, 02:47 AM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Ugh...I hate a puzzle...

OK...I installed Calibre 3.0 and set up a content server. I was able to get it to work just fine using the read/download functions in the browser. I was also able to get it to download just fine using Marvin 3.

Although, there was a learning curve there. I had to select the correct library and make sure the book I was trying to download into Marvin was - in fact - an ePub, and not an AZW3 or Mobi. I will have to do some more research into setting up the Content Server to do that function automatically....tomorrow.

Good news: It's not a Marvin OR a Calibre problem. It's a user learning the new software issue.

Cheers,
Old 06-17-2017, 01:24 PM   #7
HendelTBD
HendelTBD began at the beginning.

Device: iOS
The book(s) I'm trying to download are *only* epub - no other formats. And upon closer examination, it seems like the first time I try to download a book, the transfer counter actually hits 100% (very quickly) but it isn't visible anywhere in Marvin (All Books, sorted by date added). Trying again after that is what triggers the "Cancelled" popup.

Kovid replied to my copy of this thread in the Calibre forum, and thought there might be a problem with how Marvin might be interpreting some of the new Calibre server's headers? Is there any kind of error log I can view in Marvin to try tracing the issue from that side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Ugh...I hate a puzzle...

OK...I installed Calibre 3.0 and set up a content server. I was able to get it to work just fine using the read/download functions in the browser. I was also able to get it to download just fine using Marvin 3.

Although, there was a learning curve there. I had to select the correct library and make sure the book I was trying to download into Marvin was - in fact - an ePub, and not an AZW3 or Mobi. I will have to do some more research into setting up the Content Server to do that function automatically....tomorrow.

Good news: It's not a Marvin OR a Calibre problem. It's a user learning the new software issue.

Cheers,
HendelTBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:50 AM   #8
luoto
luoto began at the beginning.

Revisiting this.

Applied the latest version of Marvin 3 and SXS ... now it refuses to see the content server at all.

I proved this by installing Marvin Classic (the very old one) and that works with Calibre still. Same credentials.

Web view of course works too (running latest Calibre on OSX).

Getting tired with the poor update frequency of Marvin and, of course, silence from their "support" mail.

Is this just me ? Any recommendations otherwise for a good IOS reader that works with OPDS. ePub naturally! PDF a bonus.
luoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:06 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by luoto View Post
Any recommendations otherwise for a good IOS reader that works with OPDS. ePub naturally! PDF a bonus.
I'm liking MapleRead so far, in the couple of months I've been using it. AFAIK it does OPDS (I use CC so haven't tried it).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:55 PM   #10
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by luoto View Post

Getting tired with the poor update frequency of Marvin and, of course, silence from their "support" mail.
You do realize an update was just released a few days ago??
Old 08-24-2017, 09:11 AM   #11
luoto
luoto began at the beginning.

Thanks for the two replies. I've now tried Mapleread and it works direct with my Calibre OPDS. A few quirks and I cannot see how to email the annotations, but I will ask the supplier.

Yes Turtle91. I realise Marvin was finally updated ... and promptly broke a working Calibre server and there's no way of downgrading (no local backup). I tried Marvin Classic (older version) and that worked with OPDS so it is something they've "fixed".

Although several days after reporting it to the developer, the silence is deafening.

A shame as I was very pleased with Marvin for my needs, despite it not doing PDF (had to use Goodreader for that). So the suggested new app could be a good option, even better if it can email the annotations in time and stop the attempt of sticking two columns on landscape page (I need to do more tests in case there's a setting I've missed).

Best, Luoto
luoto is offline   Reply With Quote