Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
rogerperk
Connoisseur
rogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enough

Device: NC Rooted
Trying to install CM7-no joy

I downloaded and formatted like the instructions said. Installed the ROM, etc. Rebooted and it goes nowhere. Black screen. Eventually it will reboot into a basic 1.0 Nook system. Lil' help here, bitte!
rogerperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
rogerperk
Connoisseur
rogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enough

Apparently help isn't available. Interesting...
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
To have any sense of what went wrong with your attempt, we'd need to know more about just what you attempted: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

CM7 comes in many flavors.

1. SD card or internal storage?
2. What steps or method did you try to use (links)?
3. What version(s) of CM7 did you try--last stable 7.0.3, Release Candidate 7.1, one of the nightly test builds, or other?

One frequent cause of problems is a corrupted download somewhere along the way, which can be addressed by erasing the old file, downloading it again, and giving your process another try. If you're using ClockworkMod Recovery to flash the CM7 update .zip, make sure you got the latest version, CWM 3.2.0.1.

If you got your instructions from blogs or YouTube videos, they often include a mish-mash of links, some of which will get updated regularly while others disappear entirely. Actual developer threads tend to be kept more up-to-date. These are the most 'standard' threads currently:

For installing CM7 to internal storage: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1030227
To install on a removable SD card: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1000957

I'll generally read the first page and last page or two if the thread has 150+ replies.

Good luck.

P.S. XDA is generally a better resource for info on any kind of 'hacking' of the NC.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:37 AM   #4
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Yeah, what taosaur said.

The links above are the best resource for installing CM7 properly!
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Is there a How To for Macs version somewhere? I have a 4g SD card and want to do the internal one I think, I just don't think the win stuff works on my mac.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
Is there a How To for Macs version somewhere? I have a 4g SD card and want to do the internal one I think, I just don't think the win stuff works on my mac.
I'm pretty sure the only variation between Mac and PC is how you'll write an image to the SD card. On Macs, there's a built in "dd" command in the terminal, not a standalone application. Aside from downloading files and moving them around, everything else happens in CWM. I would just follow the above linked thread, and if there's not enough info on dd, cherrypick that much from this video:

http://youtu.be/lmmmm8cBpe0
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
rogerperk
Connoisseur

It eventually installed, though I have no idea why. I followed the directions on XDA but it took several tries.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
nabour
Gaget-lovin' Nana
nabour began at the beginning.

Device: Classic Nook, Nookcolor
Hello Roger,

I have fiddled and researched and purchased at least 4 SD cards (b/c if the root doesn't work then it must be a faulty card) -- until I finally decided to let someone else do it for me. I ordered SD card from Nook2Android and it is perfect. The card comes with CM7 preinstalled. I know some might squabble about the price, but for me it was worth the peace of mind. And it works great.

Last edited by nabour; 09-07-2011 at 12:08 AM.
nabour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabour View Post
Hello Roger,

I have fiddled and researched and purchased at least 4 SD cards (b/c if the root doesn't work then it must be a faulty card) -- until I finally decided to let someone else do it for me. I ordered SD card from Nook2Android and it is perfect. The card comes with CM7 preinstalled. I know some might squabble about the price, but for me it was worth the peace of mind. And it works great.
Very cool, thanks for sharing! I just sent the link to my sister, its not a bad price considering it's like, 10-15 for a card, then hours of my time and sanity haha (I'm not that tech savvy).
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote