Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-13-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
NameSaga
NameSaga began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
type WARNING split - URI escaping

I converted a Validated XHTML file to epub using Calibre. When Validating using the web site http://validator.idpf.org/application/validate - the following problem was returned:type/ WARNING file/ The Fourteenth Day Play_split_000.html line/ -1 position/ -1 message/ Filename contains spaces. Consider changing filename such that URI escaping is not necessary! - I get about 47 of these, one for each page break/chapter. I have no idea what this means or how to fix it. Can Anyone help?
NameSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
First: it is a warning, not an error. You might ignore it, but fixing it is recommended.

Second: read the error message:

Quote:
Filename contains spaces.
Your file names contain white spaces, indeed.

Third: read the suggestion:

Quote:
Consider changing filename such that URI escaping is not necessary!
Together with the previous message, it suggests you to remove white spaces from the file names. For the reason, googling "URI escaping" will point you to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percent-encoding
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:50 PM   #3
bobanello
bobanello began at the beginning.

Device: none
Although this thread is old, my situation is very similar to the above one. I read the above suggestions. I submitted to Epub validator the file ISBN9781508676669.epub. I get the same reply as above: "Filename contains spaces. Consider changing filename such that URI escaping is not necessary". Is the warning referring to the external file name or an internal name in the epub file?
bobanello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:55 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It will be an internal file within the ePub.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
If you're using the epub validator, and you select an epub file, how will the error pop up from an external file, you're checking the epub...
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:44 AM   #6
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobanello View Post
I get the same reply as above: "Filename contains spaces. Consider changing filename such that URI escaping is not necessary". Is the warning referring to the external file name or an internal name in the epub file?
That message means that one of the files inside the EPUB has a space character (space, line or paragraph separator) in its path. This means that the space might be in the file name or in the name of the subdirectories.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:22 AM   #7
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedta View Post
If you're using the epub validator, and you select an epub file, how will the error pop up from an external file, you're checking the epub...
I think the OP was asking if he had introduced the error in his book file or in the process of building the epub.

@OP: I really think you would get better results using Sigil for building epubs, not Calibre which is really designed as a library management tool.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:30 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
@OP: I really think you would get better results using Sigil for building epubs, not Calibre which is really designed as a library management tool.
In all fairness, Calibre also contains an editor. Some prefer Sigil, some prefer the editor from Calibre.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:58 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Since the OP asked his question three years ago, calibre's editor didn't exist yet.

Also, it is silly to give advice that late.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:41 AM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was responding on Notjohn directly above my message. As that message is 4 days old, Calibre editor did exist at the time...
Old 04-03-2015, 10:09 PM   #11
bobanello
bobanello began at the beginning.

Device: none
After monitoring your suggestions and a few advisory articles, I used Calibre to convert from DOCX to EPUB, and Sigil to correct some peculiarities that Calibre introduces that my ePublisher's software objects to. What those peculiarities are, I don't know; I only know that if I run the DOCX through Calibre, making some metadata changes and save it, and then open and close it in Sigil, the publisher's software accepts the file and it displays okay even through EPUB Validator still flags the same errors. Go figure; it works!

Thanks to all for your help.

Last edited by bobanello; 04-03-2015 at 10:22 PM.
bobanello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:26 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
IYour selling ePub with known errors? FIX THOSE ERRORS! And yes, that is yelling.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:47 AM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobanello View Post
After monitoring your suggestions and a few advisory articles, I used Calibre to convert from DOCX to EPUB, and Sigil to correct some peculiarities that Calibre introduces that my ePublisher's software objects to. What those peculiarities are, I don't know; I only know that if I run the DOCX through Calibre, making some metadata changes and save it, and then open and close it in Sigil, the publisher's software accepts the file and it displays okay even through EPUB Validator still flags the same errors. Go figure; it works!

Thanks to all for your help.
If you used my Word add-in to create the ePUB, there would not be errors in the ePUB... That being said, I am quite surprised that Calibre convert would create an invalid file. That does not sound like Kovid...

Tags
warning split uri escape