Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-13-2018, 09:52 AM   #16
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Searching from home is the same on Oasis2 (same as highlighted and searched). Again it is fuzzy when I look for "he shook his hands" so all kinds of combinations appear if "hands", "shook", and "his" are in close proximity. "He" is (wisely?) ignored, maybe it is too common a word.

By default it will search everything, to look in books you need to select "Text in Books (54)" in my case. The 54 is the number of books it found the phrase in. The list of books then can be sorted by "Number of Hits" "Recent" "Title" and "Author".

I have a PW1 at home I can check later if it does something similiar. Apparently I am not at home right now.
Ok thanks so much. I was stroking out because my kindle keyboard is dead, and since it wasn’t working on people, I thought it had been removed, and I’d have to pick up a new battery or DX. My paw turns up 0. It seems to only search titles on the home screen. Inside a book it checks just that book.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:04 AM   #17
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Searching from home is the same on Oasis2 (same as highlighted and searched). Again it is fuzzy when I look for "he shook his hands" so all kinds of combinations appear if "hands", "shook", and "his" are in close proximity. "He" is (wisely?) ignored, maybe it is too common a word.

By default it will search everything, to look in books you need to select "Text in Books (54)" in my case. The 54 is the number of books it found the phrase in. The list of books than can be sorted by "Number of Hits" "Recent" "Title" and "Author".

I have a PW1 at home I can check later if it does something similar. Apparently, I am not at home right now.
I have the Oasis now and it does what I was looking for. I thought of getting a DX but I can't imagine how slow it is. My Original PW is slower than Christmas so I'll keep the Oassis 2, its nice and speedy. Thanks again for your help!
Advert
Old 04-14-2018, 01:32 AM   #18
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:

By default it will search everything, to look in books you need to select "Text in Books (54)" in my case. The 54 is the number of books it found the phrase in. The list of books then can be sorted by "Number of Hits" "Recent" "Title" and "Author".

I have a PW1 at home I can check later if it does something similiar. Apparently I am not at home right now.
Same here on the Paperwhite 2/3. Granted, given that the books are indexed before they're available for searching, it makes sense that the search function isn't quite exact. Besides, the Kindle's wee processor and slow storage probably makes full text search impractical.

If I need to search specific phrases or do fuzzy regex searches, I use Notepad++ on the PC (I have a copy of all ebooks as plain txt to facilitate searching).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:11 AM   #19
Synergi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Same here on the Paperwhite 2/3. Granted, given that the books are indexed before they're available for searching, it makes sense that the search function isn't quite exact. Besides, the Kindle's wee processor and slow storage probably makes full text search impractical.

If I need to search specific phrases or do fuzzy regex searches, I use Notepad++ on the PC (I have a copy of all ebooks as plain txt to facilitate searching).
Wow I never thought of that. Nice tip.