Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
Parvati
Parvati began at the beginning.

Device: mobipocket
File size of PDF output is far too big!

I have used Calibre to convert EPUB to PDF many times with good results.
This time I face a problem I have no clue what to do:

The 2.7MB EPUB is converted into a 100.3MB PDF!
The file consists of about 100 pages of mostly text, a few pictures which are all optimized for fast screen view, nothing which would explain this extreme big file size.

I hope someone knows this problem and can help me to fix it.

Thanx
Parvati
Parvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #2
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
I have had this problem in the past as well. It turned out that the individual pages in the epub file were really pictures, and not actual text, just pictures of the text, so the converter could not convert the file properly. All it could do was load the pages as pictures into the pdf file. Have you checked the epub file to see if the text is really text? You can do that with the edit epub function. If the pages are all pictures, short of doing an OCR on the individual pictures, I'm not sure what you could do. Maybe someone would have a better idea in this case, but let us know what you are dealing with inside the epub.
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2014, 02:53 AM   #3
Parvati

I have formatted the ebook by hand in Sigil, so it is actually a very clean and proper code, consisting of real text. All necessary checks are done.

You are right: scanned pages will lead to a big file, definitely.
But it is not the problem I am facing here.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:05 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parvati View Post
I have formatted the ebook by hand in Sigil, so it is actually a very clean and proper code, consisting of real text. All necessary checks are done.

You are right: scanned pages will lead to a big file, definitely.
But it is not the problem I am facing here.
@Parvati - I'm not familiar with EPUB to PDF Conversions, the only thing in PDF Output settings that I thought might have the impact you're seeing is paper size - if it was very small then... Did you try a convert with default settings

I'd also try converting the PDF to 'html' and/or LaTex to see if I could pick up some clues from there.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:07 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186697
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
Parvati

In a similar thread I found the hint that the Mac OSX system is the reason for the huge files. I tried to convert my file on a PC and it worked out perfectly.