Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 03-17-2016, 04:02 PM   #1
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Netronix's 13.3 on Indiegogo $699

Indiegogo campaign has just started for OEM version of Netronix's 13.3 inch Android 4.0.4 e-reader with E-Ink's Mobius display $699:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/1...oid-e-reader#/

Sadly no Bluetooth.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Important to note: This is a campaign by GoodEreader (the ebook "news" site you love to hate).

Specifically, it is apparently a continuation of their previous "Ultimate Ereader" campaign that bombed.

There is a long-running discussion here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=266702
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I placed this in the wiki Indiegogo eReader‎‎.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:19 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Indiegogo is just the crowdfunding mechanism (something like Kickstarter) it's not really their eReader.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:07 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Indiegogo is just the crowdfunding mechanism (something like Kickstarter) it's not really their eReader.
Interesting perspective. Netronix makes the hardware but they don't determine what features and policies will be on the reader. Android makes the software but does not determine the features either. Indiegogo is more than just a retailer of the product. They are the only one offering this variation and may, at some point, offer it via other retailers or change the specifications. Crowd Funding is more that just a mechanism. It is a way for a new company to get started IMHO.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2016, 08:55 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Indiegogo is more than just a retailer of the product. They are the only one offering this variation and may, at some point, offer it via other retailers or change the specifications.
The only thing Indiegogo is offering is a funding mechanism they are not the retailer of the product. The device is being offered by the people at the website Good E Reader. They are the ones selling the device, provided it meets it's funding.

There is a very long thread discussing the first attempt to do a Good E Reader device as well as this current one here...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=266702
Old 03-26-2016, 11:05 PM   #7
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Campaign is funded in one week. Well done.
Who's gonna be another M.Kozlowski to order 60 units from Netronix?
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:29 PM   #8
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Campaign is funded in one week. Well done.
Who's gonna be another M.Kozlowski to order 60 units from Netronix?
Well done indeed. And the orders are still arriving. Perhaps in greater numbers now that there is no longer a danger of them not meeting their target.

That said, although I would very much like to acquire such a device, I would still have some reservations about placing an order myself. Some of their videos are raise more questions than perhaps they answer.

However, despite my personal reservations, I do hope that they and all their backers will be satisfied with the end results. I also hope that some of the bigger players will take notice and see that there is a very real market for such a device. Perhaps then we will see something that really justifies the price tag.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:01 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is not an ultimate Reader as BadEReader already failed pushing their ultimate Reader and since this isn't it, it has to be lesser than ultimate.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:33 PM   #10
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is not an ultimate Reader as BadEReader already failed pushing their ultimate Reader and since this isn't it, it has to be lesser than ultimate.
I don't believe they're calling this one the "ultimate" ereader. Certainly, I don't think anyone looking at the specs would consider it anywhere near "ultimate". "Functional" might be a more appropriate adjective to use.

However, although I still have some personal reservations about it based on what I have seen from their videos, I wish them and their backers well. I certainly hope that the backers receive functional units come September. I will be very interested to hear what the final products are like and if they live up to expectations/promises.

What the campaign does show is that their is a considerable demand for such a device. The orders are still flowing in and I expect that they will continue to do so now that the target for the campaign has been reached. The fact that so many people have committed such a large sum of money so quickly for a device with mediocre specs from a campaigner with a questionable reputation really shows how anxious people are to obtain such an ereader. Imagine what the demand would be like with better specs, a slightly lower price and from a reliable source which could offer after care service... I hope Kobo and Sony are taking notice,
Old 03-27-2016, 10:00 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
However, although I still have some personal reservations about it based on what I have seen from their videos, I wish them and their backers well. I certainly hope that the backers receive functional units come September. I will be very interested to hear what the final products are like and if they live up to expectations/promises.
I hope folks get what they pay for, but am not so sure the support after the fact is going to be there.

Quote:
What the campaign does show is that their is a considerable demand for such a device. The orders are still flowing in and I expect that they will continue to do so now that the target for the campaign has been reached. The fact that so many people have committed such a large sum of money so quickly for a device with mediocre specs from a campaigner with a questionable reputation really shows how anxious people are to obtain such an ereader. Imagine what the demand would be like with better specs, a slightly lower price and from a reliable source which could offer after care service... I hope Kobo and Sony are taking notice,
I don't know that it shows considerable demand at this point. 59 devices pledged (as of checking right now) is not what I'd call high demand or qualify as orders flowing in.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:53 PM   #12
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
I hope folks get what they pay for, but am not so sure the support after the fact is going to be there.
Completely agree. Which is one of the reasons why I haven't opted to support the campaign despite being very interested in a 13.3 inch android based device.

Quote:
I don't know that it shows considerable demand at this point. 59 devices pledged (as of checking right now) is not what I'd call high demand or qualify as orders flowing in.
I think it is actually more like 63 because it seems that 4 people from the previous failed campaign have upgraded. I'm guessing that's who the backers who have pledged $460 are. Otherwise it's an extremely generous and altruistic donation.

That said, whether it is 59 or 63, it is not a huge number as you rightly point out. However, consider the price, the mediocre specs, the videos which raise more questions than they answer, the timeline (about a week), and the very questionable reputation of the source...

It really suggests that there is a legitimate market out for such a device. Can you imagine how much greater the response would be if such a device with better specs, and a slightly lower price were being offered by a reputable source? I'd immediately place an order for several. One for myself, one for the wife and one for a relative with deteriorating vision.

I think there is a substantial demand for a dependable device at a reasonable price that can read more than just pdf files. I'm hoping that bigger players will take notice and make it happen.

I have little faith in the device on offer although I would like to be proven otherwise.

Last edited by Question Mark; 03-27-2016 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:29 PM   #13
Question Mark
Wizard

Now that they are well over their target, they have come up with a curious "first stretch goal". Apparently, if orders are placed for 150 devices, they will send them out by the summer instead of September.

Although it is always nice to have a new device sooner rather than later, I'm really not sure how being promised the device a month or two earlier will entice fence sitters such as myself to order one.

A stretch goal of increasing the processor speed or the onboard memory would probably do much more to get fence sitters interested. Some more videos might help as well. Assuming, that is, that the device is as good as they are hyping it up to be.

I can already play simple games and surf the web on my Kobo Aura. However, I don't because the experience is not that enjoyable. It's nice to be able to do so in a pinch, but that is the only time I would choose to do so.

If I'm going to fork out the kind of money that they are asking, I would like a device which delivers a superior experience than my Kobo is currently able to provide. Their current video of their internet browser does not show that.

Speaking of videos, about 5 days ago, Peter updated their Indiegogo page, inviting more questions and promising more videos. Since then, there has only been one video. They've received questions on both their webpage and the Indiegogo page, they have the actual product (they have said that it is not a prototype) and they certainly know how to make videos. So what's up with the sudden dearth of videos? Not very promising.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:39 PM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Not sure its wise omitting BT. That reduces connectivity. Can connwct a BT keyboard on an Onyx. Just saying...

Almost certainly vapourware anyway. Hope Im wrong.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:38 PM   #15
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Not sure its wise omitting BT. That reduces connectivity. Can connwct a BT keyboard on an Onyx. Just saying...

Almost certainly vapourware anyway. Hope Im wrong.
Given that they seem to be demonstrating a functioning device, I'm not inclined to think it will be a case of vaporware. I imagine that backers will likely get a device.

Whether that device lives up to their expectations or not, and just when they might receive said device, is another matter altogether.

My guess is that the device will drastically underwhelm. From the videos which they've posted, I suspect that the web browsing capabilities will not be much different from what I can already do on my Kobo Aura. I also wonder why they are shying away from showing how quickly their device opens and navigates heavy technical pdfs. Could it be because it is not a particularly pleasant experience?

I find it very curious to look at the questions which they choose to answer on their website and the indiegoggo page and the questions which they actively choose to ignore. That and the sudden lack of videos (it's been about a week now since they solicited more questions and promised more videos) suggest that it will be a less than stellar device.

Would love to be proven wrong. However, they don't seem to be doing much to convince fence sitters such as myself that this a product that will meet their needs.

My biggest hope is that Kobo or somebody else will take notice of the demand for such a device and put out one truly worthy of the price tag.

Tags
goodereader bad