Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
talonius
talonius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Weird Issues with Calibre 0.7.53.

Has anyone else had issues since upgrading to 0.7.53?

Some have been with the Extract ISBN plugin - which I attribute to its usage of the new PDF engine and am more than willing to deal with. However, even with the plugin sometimes the entire application crashes with "Windows has encountered an error..."

Also, when I merge books it seems like it often crashes with "Windows has encountered an error..."

I've also started running into "Out of Memory" errors when editing PDF files around 20MB in size when I edit the title or author. (I assume because this causes a reorganization on disk of where the file is located.) I have 8GB of RAM, Windows 7, and generally have 60% memory free at the time according to Task Manager.

Just a moment ago I was editing the metadata on a DejaVu file and it hard locked on me when I tried to save the changes. I can't even end the process via Task Manager -- it's still running in the background. I'll need to reboot to end it.

Is there a log file somewhere that I can turn on for the "Windows has encountered an error" crashes? And where I can get more than a stack trace for the "Out of Memory" errors?

Prior to 0.7.53 I _never_ had a crash.

Thanks for any help.
talonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Run calibre in debug mode, by clicking the arrow next to preferences. Though I can't think of any change in 0.7.53 that could possibly cause generalized crashing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
talonius

Thanks, I will enable debug mode and see what I find.

(I'm a bit afraid it's probably something in the computer and the upgrade timing is coincidental. *quiver in fear*)
Old 04-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
talonius

Chalk it up to coincidence.

I just found the cord that my cockatiel chewed up.

I'll go stuff my head in the sand now. Sorry to bother you!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Now that reason would have been a long way down the standard of checklist of questions...

What os are you running...?
What calibre version... ?
Oh, and do you own a cockatiel...?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Which cord was it?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
DeadMan
Enthusiast
DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by talonius View Post
I just found the cord that my cockatiel chewed up.
Haha to funny. I thought I was the only one with the insane, pesky birds! You know what makes good watch dogs for them? Budgies. Mine chase the bigger birds and harass them constantly.

I'm curious as well which cord was damaged, and was it affecting your OS while you were not running Calibre?
DeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
talonius

I have my ebook library on an external hard drive so I can cart it with me to work and use it for reference. The cord was the USB interface cable. My ebooks are the only thing on the drive which is why I didn't see any issues elsewhere.

He made a pretty good cut through the outer shielding and into the inner copper, but it was mostly intact. I'm not sure how the memory errors come into play (maybe paging to disk with Windows?) but they haven't occurred since I replaced the cable.

He's going to kill himself someday. He likes to hang out on the back of my monitor and chew on the cables back there, but those carry enough current to throw him into the next world. I try to keep him from doing it but... sigh, I think it's impossible. Damn stubborn birds.

Oh, as for watch dogs... my dog is an Australian sheepdog. 120 pounds of muscle. And he's terrified... absolutely terrified... of my bird. As is my cat. I will never understand the animal kingdom.