Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #151
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Why do you assume that love.forever made a typo with the original mention of "Weathering Heights." I immediately thought it was an attempt at humour as it is a mis-spelling/title quote that is often used in discussions of classics... why you assume that I haven't read the entire thread again says more about you than me... do you often "contribute" to threads you haven't read, I certainly don't!

As for getting back on topic, that should be interesting...

Edit: Kennyc: wouldn't have bothered responding but we obviously posted at more or less the same time so I didn't see your last comment until I posted this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Oups, my mistake for making it "see" like an apology. I can tell now that you were completely right to condescendingly try and demean someone who made a typo on "Wuthering Heights" (Oh boy )
And who is talking about apologizing ? One cannot be condescending and apologetic at the same time. I believe there is a contradiction in the terms here. Just nevermind all this and continue reading Jane "Air" ...

Again you got it all wrong, the typo or whatever you wish to call it was made by a third party to this little argument. the maker of the typo is not the one feeling superior. I can tell you really read the whole thing ...

I guess that should have been my first message on miss condescension 2011 Maybe she would have gotten my point across
Subtlety only protracted this whole thing and, as it turns out, to no avail.
And Kennyc, I believe the correct thing to tell me, all things considered would have been "drop the defense" which is what I believe I was endeavoring.
In any case I'll follow your advice. There are such things as lost causes ...
Back to topic now.

Last edited by elcreative; 04-17-2011 at 07:08 AM.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #152
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I spent over an hour in a hospital waiting room this morning, and unusually it was full of folk ....

I counted about 50% of them were reading books (paper), a small number magazines whilst the remainder were gazing about or chatting to their neighbour.

Me and mine were doing Killer Sudokus ....

The reading of books certainly isn't dead (yet) - though most of those reading were at the "greyer end of society".

With only 2 major bookstores in the city, choice is good if somewhat lacking in competition.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #153
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I spent over an hour in a hospital waiting room this morning, and unusually it was full of folk ....

I counted about 50% of them were reading books (paper), a small number magazines whilst the remainder were gazing about or chatting to their neighbour.

Me and mine were doing Killer Sudokus ....

The reading of books certainly isn't dead (yet) - though most of those reading were at the "greyer end of society".

With only 2 major bookstores in the city, choice is good if somewhat lacking in competition.
Besides Amazon, this is certainly a big part of the demise of the bookstore. People in my generation and younger aren't reading as much for pleasure.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #154
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
Besides Amazon, this is certainly a big part of the demise of the bookstore. People in my generation and younger aren't reading as much for pleasure.

assuming the greyer mention was for the older folk

I tend rather more to the 'silver'.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #155
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:

faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #156
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
What do you believe is the role of the "big box" book store of the 21st century? For those that don't know the term "big box" store, that is a name given to those very large stores, including: Barns and Nobels, Borders, Wall Mart, Office Depot, Pet Smart, Target and perhaps a few more that I neglected to name.

At least in my humble opinion there is not much call for the "big box" book store of the 21st century now that they have been made obsolete by the invention of the electronic book. However there are some places for them in the electronic age:

1) serving that ever declining percentage of the population that either does not know about electronic book or refuses to use electronic books or is afraid of electronic books. The segement of the population will eventual dwindle away to nothing;

2) serving that portion of the population that does not yet have a computer in their homes as yet. Will eventually go away over time.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:50 AM   #157
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
...additionally, I see most non-silvering persons spending time playing with their iPhones, Androids or other smart phones during times of potential boredom. Net surfing or e-mail checking has replaced reading for many of them, driven by their fascination of the technology as well as the fleeting content. I own an 'ancient' cell phone that sends and receives calls and is able to text on its tiny little screen but I avoid the exorbitant 3G contract costs of a smart phone for buying p/eBooks.

When brick and mortar stores cease to fill a need, they have no reason to exist. Do I need to see a cover in person rather than on a computer screen? Do I need to handle a book, physically, to be able to determine my interest and effect a purchase? I purchase hardcovers for durability only for books I plan to re-use for reference, for image quality (coffee table books), or for gifts. The only conceivable reason I can see for being able to physically view a book would be to evaluate the quality of the binding. Sorry. I don't even like their coffee.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #158
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldavis2 View Post
...additionally, I see most non-silvering persons spending time playing with their iPhones, Androids or other smart phones during times of potential boredom. Net surfing or e-mail checking has replaced reading for many of them, driven by their fascination of the technology as well as the fleeting content.
Perhaps your view of reading is too narrow.
Many of them will indeed be reading, just not books.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #159
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

Yes, my grandfather had a full head of silver hair. I am quickly silvering myself.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #160
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Perhaps your view of reading is too narrow.
Many of them will indeed be reading, just not books.
Touche. Yes, I was using a more narrow definition of 'reading' which would exclude various forms of texting and reading e-mail which I though would be more in keeping with the nature of the MobilRead followers.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #161
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Hmmm... obviously why most of the attendees for genre author signings are in the 20-30s, must be going "silver" earlier...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote